Hodgson accused of 'total lack of respect' over Rio (1 Viewer)

stupot07

The problem is we see tackling, bravery and work rate as 'skills'. Most of the best ever defenders in the world never needed to put their head in front of bullet shots, or make last ditch tackles, the read the game and play on interceptions.

An exert from an interview with Xabi Alonso in the guardian:

In other words, don't waste 10 years trying to crowbar Gerrard and Frank Lampard into the team. Alonso dodges the bullet. "Hey," he says. "That's a press debate. I'm not saying that. But the collective ideal hasn't always been there. Paul Scholes maybe hasn't had the international career he should have. Or Michael Carrick: he makes those around him better, regardless of the fact that he's not the one who scores the most goals, or a great tackler."

There is a pause as Alonso reaches, again, the crux of the issue. A single English word he returns to that, unpacked, analysed and investigated, explains much. "I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/11/xabi-alonso-spain-england-interview

Grendel

Either you have taken the above comment literally or what is the problem

Terry i am no supporter of him as a person, but on the pitch i'd choose him to play next to me above Rio every time

In other words the good old british bulldog spirit prevails. Well prevails over nothing actually. It is this archaic belief that condemns English football into the Jurassic park of world football.

Even at his peak terry was woefully limited. Now plain hopeless on the world stage. Throw himself in front of a bullet? No it would have flew past him as the Germans did 2 years ago.

He would not even get into Spain or Germany's initial 40.

classicfooty

In other words the good old british bulldog spirit prevails. Well prevails over nothing actually. It is this archaic belief that condemns English football into the Jurassic park of world football.

Even at his peak terry was woefully limited. Now plain hopeless on the world stage. Throw himself in front of a bullet? No it would have flew past him as the Germans did 2 years ago.

he has just captained a side to european glory he cant be that bad, and the bullet shot i was referring too happened at the world cup when he was on the ground the opposition striker struck the ball hard and he flung himself at it like a crazy worm, i like to see that in a defender, he puts his body on the line, maybe he wouldnt have to make last ditch tackles and defend like that if the midfield worked harder to support the back 4, and i might add that the french are weak at the back, the dutch are week at the back, spain are weak at the back and germany play mertesacker..........is terry not better than mertesacker???

stupot07

he has just captained a side to european glory he cant be that bad, and the bullet shot i was referring too happened at the world cup when he was on the ground the opposition striker struck the ball hard and he flung himself at it like a crazy worm, i like to see that in a defender, he puts his body on the line, maybe he wouldnt have to make last ditch tackles and defend like that if the midfield worked harder to support the back 4, and i might add that the french are weak at the back, the dutch are week at the back, spain are weak at the back and germany play mertesacker..........is terry not better than mertesacker???

Technically he didn't - he was suspended for the second leg of the semi final and missed the final.

Last edited:

classicfooty

look i aint here to defend Terry, if you dont like him thats upto you. But he HAS just captained a team to european glory and you cant say technically this and technically that cos he did, as for someone else saying he wouldnt get into the spain or germany top 40 is total bollox they would both have him. As a bloke i think terry is a bit of a wanker but you cant tell me he is a shite defender.

Grendel

look i aint here to defend Terry, if you dont like him thats upto you. But he HAS just captained a team to european glory and you cant say technically this and technically that cos he did, as for someone else saying he wouldnt get into the spain or germany top 40 is total bollox they would both have him.

He wouldn't get a look in and he didn't captain them - he missed the final due to an act of stupidity (another reason to omit him - his discipline). Perhaps he can offer his services to whoever wins the tournament to lift the cup for them and wear the kit - he's good at the lap of honour.

Gaz

To even suggest Terry isn't a top class defender, is just bizarre.

Disorganised1

Terry is not a top class defender.

He is too slow, and he is too fond of leaving others to cover his position.

Good lord I'm agreeing with duffy. :eek:

classicfooty

He wouldn't get a look in and he didn't captain them - he missed the final due to an act of stupidity (another reason to omit him - his discipline). Perhaps he can offer his services to whoever wins the tournament to lift the cup for them and wear the kit - he's good at the lap of honour.

he was club captain mate and played the other 9 or 10 games in the run up to the final, are you trying to tell me they wouldnt have won it if he had played?.....in your opinion

SkyBlue_Bear83

It is obvious Rio us being left out for reasons other than football, imo Terrys and Rios international careers are coming to an end. Personally I like Jagielka and Lescott as a partnership.

Adam Johnson should definitely be in the squad, he is being wasted at Man City. Instead we have James "works hard" Milner, Theo "can't kick a ball" Walcott and Stewart "fucking useless" Downing.
Madness

Grendel

he was club captain mate and played the other 9 or 10 games in the run up to the final, are you trying to tell me they wouldnt have won it if he had played?.....in your opinion

The critical games were the away semi and the final and they won those without him so what are you saying Genk and Leverkusen are better than Barcelona and Bayern. Well in my opinion no they are not.

stupot07

But he didn't 'lead them to champions league victory' did he, he wasn't on the pitch for the last 2 1/2 games of the tournament. Chelsea may have won it if he'd played, but equally they might not have done, we will never know - different players react in different ways to different situations in a given match. For example Cahill would never cynically knee a player in the leg off the ball, Terry did.

Users who are viewing this thread