Highlights (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10055184/coventry-4-3-barnsley

Cole freekick

7eb942071040f720bd83e284f7663c43.gif

Phillips handball

1225a30e2abd32d8c07cf99bb7c85af6.gif

ajsccfc

I thought Phillips' handball was as stupid as it was unnecessary at the time but that just confirms it. I'd almost be relieved to find out he was doing it for matchfixing purposes rather than actually being that much of a liability.

speedie87

The 2nd goal was like training goal. Stand in centre circle ping it wide run with it pull it back, finish.

ps1948

Thought at the time their second should have been disallowed because of handball, and this confirms it - the scorer even looks at the linesman to see whether he has flagged.
The linesman missed virtually everything all night, so it was no big surprise that he missed that.

Esoterica

That Philips handball has got me mesmerised. I've watched it 30 times and each time I keep expecting that he can't possibly do something that idiotic again. (No need to try it yourself, he does)

Philosorapter

Atleast he stops himself crashing into the advertising boarding. Great free-kick by the way.

shmmeee

Did Philips get an arm transplant from a dead volleyball player or something?

The kid is a liability. How is Kelly-Evans looking?

SkyBlueZack

Was there really a need to handball it? Could he have not just got in the way using his body without commiting a foul of course. Can't see Ricketts doing anything like that. If we weren't short defensively we could do with sending Phillips out on loan for experience.

tom88

I think he has some sort of compulsive handball disorder, done exactly the same against Swindon. Frankly its unacceptable behaviour and the sooner he is out of the team the better.

I said this last night. That is 3 penalties he has given away which have all resulted in goals.

Southend - Dropped 2 points
Swindon - Dropped 2 points
Barnsley - Luckily enough to win

So in 3 games Phillips has cost us 4 points from giving stupid penalties away

Brighton Sky Blue

I said this last night. That is 3 penalties he has given away which have all resulted in goals.

Maybe he's used to doing it in training against players who couldn't score a penalty if their lives depended on it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

RCC to right back & Phillips to keeper?

stupot07

We were 1-1 when Phillips conceded the pen against Southend. So you can't blame him for 2 points dropped.

And

Aaron Martin conceded the penalty against Swindon.
69d3cdc7b137d297fdbe5fee45fe5c68.jpg

So technically 2 pens. And neither technically cost us points

It was however a awful handball last night, and he needs to calm himself down but let's not start scapegoating him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

We were 1-1 when Phillips conceded the pen against Southend. So you can't blame him for 2 points dropped.

And

Aaron Martin conceded the penalty against Swindon.
69d3cdc7b137d297fdbe5fee45fe5c68.jpg

So technically 2 pens. And neither technically cost us points

It was however a awful handball last night, and he needs to calm himself down but let's not start scapegoating him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Mowbray said in the post match after the Swindon match the penalty was given for handball against Phillips. The media people who do live update probably just thought at the time it was given against Martin

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wheter it was technically him or not who conceded it v Swindon anyway is a moot point as we're all in agreement it was penalty offence by him.

Why is he hand balling it twice in three games, its not normal behaviour

Seamus1

Looking at the action following the penalty being taken, in some ways Vincelot was quite lucky not to get a straight red for that swinging/flailing left arm in an attempt to grab the ball.

stupot07

SkyBlue_Bear83

Even the official ccfc write up said Martin

http://mobile.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/match-report-swindon-town-2-2-coventry-city-2762611.aspx

I heard Mowbray with my own ears say on radio it was given for a handball against Phillips.

How quick are those articles posted after a match? Could have been written before they had heard his post match interview and seeing as the people who write the articles won't have contact with the referee its possible they got it wrong also.

Its also possible Mowbray got it wrong but seeing as the first thing he done after the final whistle was likely ask the referee and players what it was for imo it is unlikely he got it wrong.

Mowbray said it was a Phillips handball, it is not up for debate what he said.

SkyBlue_Bear83

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034sknm

Got to 25.30 on the programme

Some quotes
'It hand to ball'
'no complaints'
'the boys in the dressing room say it was handball'
When asked if it was for the foul on Ajose, Mowbray replies 'it was handball'

I know who I believe, the manager who had direct contact with the players and referee immediately after the match and not the person who watched it from the stands.

Its an irrelevant point as even if it wasn't given against Phillips we are all agreed it was penalty offence from him, however the more concrete and compelling evidence says it was given against Phillips.

If you go look at the replay as well you will see the referee do a palming gesture as if to signal he handled it whilst Phillips stands their in disbelief as his teammates give him accusatory looks

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm not out to personally get Phillips, the penalty could have been given against either of them at Swindon as I think they are both penalties against Martin and Phillips. Although I think its given against Phillips there's an outside chance it could have been Martin, so I'm not blaming him for the dropped points at Swindon as Martin is equally as culpable here.

What I'm mad about is he has done exactly the same think mere weeks after committing the same offence, if Martin dragged someone down for a penalty yesterday I would be equally as harsh on him.

I also thinks its worse that they are handballs, if a player makes a genuine attempt at a tackle and mistimes it whilst stupid I can see how it could happen. There is no reason why the handball should happen on either occasions and to me is unprofessional and poor discipline, there doesn't look to be immediate danger to the goal and its not as if he's trying to save a goal by handling it.

He may as well have cut out the middle man and scored a deliberate own goal instead.

Astute

This is the difference between a player like Reda who is experienced and inexperienced younger players like Phillips. Reda is a big unit. Opposing players bounce off him. He knows when to foul a player and where to do it to stop an attack. He knows where to keep his arms down. And he likes to go forward and gets the occasional goal. Yet some call him a liability. But at the same time we had the best defence in this division whilst he was playing. Now he is injured we are shipping in goals. 7 in the last 3 games. Before that we had only let in 10 goals in 13 games.

What we need is more experience at the back to help the younger players. You can't blame them for their lack of experience. TM will be looking for the right players as usual. And at least we are picking up the points still while he is trying to bring the right players in. It is a long season. It is better to drop a few points now and get the right players in than bring in the wrong ones. We knew before the season started that we had a small squad. Injuries will affect us. But we are no different to about every other club in this division. It was a choice between a bigger squad or better quality but small squad. And we have all now seen what a smaller but better quality squad can do. And when we have a replacement for Phillips he can get time off the bench and learn his trade whilst waiting for his next chance.

covcity4life

dont get the hand ball, why wer ehis hands up so high? idiotic

vincelot sure used it to his advantage though lol

Users who are viewing this thread