highfield road stadium (1 Viewer)

ricohman

What i would really like to know is what happened to the money of the sale of our previous stadium/land. I mean until about 2 years ago i actually believed that we owned the ricoh.

I guess this is as good a place to ask, im new to this forum so welcome me kindly

Astute

It was sold for hardly anything to keep our club afloat for a short amount of time.

How did you manage not to find out about the Ricoh for so long?

theprince

It was sold for £5million for housing involving the son of a director, so i am told, so everything was above board.
Is that an elephant i have just seen fly by my window?

jimmyhillsfanclub

We got 3 magic beans for highfield road. . . We then allegedly spent 2 of those beans on de-contaminating the land for uked ricoh and another 2 beans on renting back highfield road while we waited. . . The previous regimes almost make the current one look competent.

ricohman

Thanks for your replies, the 1st at least anyway. This wait for a new manager is torture, ive joined to forum for the rumours and to hear who the real candidates are.
My choice would be eric black, we had our best run of results under him

Tonylinc

What i would really like to know is what happened to the money of the sale of our previous stadium/land. I mean until about 2 years ago i actually believed that we owned the ricoh.

I guess this is as good a place to ask, im new to this forum so welcome me kindly
Welcome my friend :welcome: From memory I think that HR was sold some years before the club actually vacated and was held on "leaseback", arrangement. I don't think that there was any time limit on the arrangement and for that reason I remember being surprised at the time that the club decided to move to a new home. At the start however it was to be a joint venture with the Council thus a share would have accrued to the club.

It was remortgaged twice before it was sold then we rented it back from the developers after we sold it. Doubt we seen much given the debt, mortgage payments and rent.

shy_tall_knight

East stand was only 11 years old when it was demolished. A bit of tarting up of the old stands, turning the Mercer's Arms into a proper car park etc..

Sale and leaseback, I think we got £5m for the stadium and nearly paid it back in rental over the years we leased the stadium. The Newmarket Scheme for directors to fund and make profits on player transfers was a recipe for disaster and may have encouraged directors to speculate and saddle the club with the debts.

The Ricoh will be our home for the near future it was an opportunity to be a major force in the EPL but through mismanagement, greed and ???? we are now a shambles.

Block19

Loved the east stand, the concourse was far nicer than the Ricoh the view was fantastic and was a great improvement than standing in front of a concrete bank. Miss highfield road days but we had a great team then and games to remember, I can't think of a "I was there day" at the Ricoh, rather to many I wish I hadn't bothered. Sadly many people don't bother now

Loved the east stand, the concourse was far nicer than the Ricoh the view was fantastic and was a great improvement than standing in front of a concrete bank. Miss highfield road days but we had a great team then and games to remember, I can't think of a "I was there day" at the Ricoh, rather to many I wish I hadn't bothered. Sadly many people don't bother now

i can think of a couple, was there to see the red hot chilli peppers, oasis and the enemy, lol

Sawyer

Im a cov fan from ireland and have no one to talk coventry stuff with, no other fans over here lol

Im from and lived in N.Ireland for 22 years and only ever "saw" one other Cov fan, well he was wearing a Cov top anyway! haha, its a lonely world in Ireland for us Cov fans!

CJparker

The Ricoh will be our home for the near future

I am actually even boring myself by saying this over and over again, but we are at the Ricoh FOR GOOD - it is our home long term. Anyone who keeps talking about a move is deluding themselves.

I sound like a broken record by repeating this, but HR is gone and we are at the Ricoh now, and that is where we will stay - GET OVER IT

Astute

I am actually even boring myself by saying this over and over again, but we are at the Ricoh FOR GOOD - it is our home long term. Anyone who keeps talking about a move is deluding themselves.

I sound like a broken record by repeating this, but HR is gone and we are at the Ricoh now, and that is where we will stay - GET OVER IT

And if we continue not paying the rent?

CJparker

ACL cannot afford to kick us out, without CCFC they are immediately in a critical financial situation. CCFC is key to the Ricoh business model working - put simply, they will come to an agreement with SISU because they have no financial choice. SISU know this, which is why they have got away with murder by not paying the rent as a pressure tactic during negotiations.

Astute

So they can afford for us not to pay the rent?

CJparker

They are probably in financial bother as a result of our non-payment

ricohman

Im from and lived in N.Ireland for 22 years and only ever "saw" one other Cov fan, well he was wearing a Cov top anyway! haha, its a lonely world in Ireland for us Cov fans!

Sure is man, i bought every top until 2 years ago. It was prob me

TheUKGryphon

Never ever watched a match from the east stand. I was always a west terrace boy. The east stand did look impressive though especially from the outside. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone in there just the once.

scroobiustom

I grew up in Kent, strangely we had 4 other cov fan families - more of a fan base then kent's only league club Gillingham btw!

Users who are viewing this thread