Hi Fi (1 Viewer)

Marty

Looking at getting a Hi Fi in the post Christmas sales, anybody know what I need to look out for? Brands to avoid, that sort of thing. Complete newbie on this.

fernandopartridge

Generally get what you pay for. Always found Sony to be good quality. Don't bother with any of the crap they sell in supermarkets. Richer Sounds is a good place to look.

eastwoodsdustman

Get on Ebay and you could well get a lot more for your money. I started out with a load of Cambridge Audio stuff from Richer sounds and then upgraded stuff on Ebay over time. I currently have an Audiolab 8000a amplifier which cost me about £140, it sounds great and has a built in switchable phono stage for my turntable (it has a moving coil cartridge whereas most amps cater for moving magnet cartridges). I did have an Arcam alpha 9 Amp which sounded great but packed up twice in two years so I changed it. I have a Marantz KI cd player which was an upgrade from another Marantz cd player which I still have but dont use now and a Marantz DAB tuner which I got in the sale from the HIFI shop in town that closed down in town a few years ago.
Knowing what I know now I'd just get straight on Ebay and get better gear for the same money personally. Its worth having a look at what HIFI to get an idea on stuff too. Their recommended gear is usually great.
Make sure you get some half decent speakers, good quality speaker cable and decent interconnectsas they will make a difference to the sound quality.

Nick

Administrator
agree about Richer sounds, if you book in they can set it up and let you try it out to see what you think.

rd45

Go to Frank Harvey on Spon Street. Book yourself an appointment and you can listen to some music that you know well, on whatever kit you're thinking of buying. Tell them a price range & they'll sort you out. It's where I got my turntable - great service, I'd definitely go back. Reviews are all very well as a starting point, but they're your ears. When you start comparing stuff you can hear a massive difference. You can decide whether this or that upgrade is worth the money, based on what you hear.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Hi Fi? Oh, music stuff! And here was me holding my hand out ready for a palm slap!

speedie87

I found frank Harvey really snobby would def recommend richer sounds either in store or online

Buy separates then you upgrade replace different parts as budget allows

Users who are viewing this thread