Herbert Under Threat (1 Viewer)

wingy

Sad, but In reality how many use It.
Strange the economy Is buoyant yet the cuts are stringent.

Covstu

Its won so many awards too, it looks great and would be a tregedy if it was closed. They are looking at the belgrade too arnt they??

Maybe Lucas has already spent the Ricoh money.......

Wait for it, come on bite.......

wingy

That looks Impressive.
£250 over a five yr got term Is afairly hefty saving
I'm pretty sure CCC aren't. exactly chuffed at making choices like this when decisions like schools becoming the responsible for funding crossing patrols are made.
The Issues are a result of Central decisions.

NorthernWisdom

As a small aside, one of the stranger paintings I've seen!

war_jdht_13_large.jpg

Otis

I've been in there twice in the last 3 weeks. It's a fantastic little museum. We simply cannot let it close. It's too important.

If charging is the answer, then so be it. With that though comes the massive drop in footfall. :(

NorthernWisdom

If charging is the answer, then so be it.

I fail to see why it should be. The sums involved are hugely insignificant in the wider context of a council's full budget. It's such a pitifully small amount we're talking in a wider context, it's only being targeted because it'sa soft target.

And it ties into not just numbers of who goes, but awareness and culture of a city. Bristol, for example, invest a huge amount into their arts and heritage and, with it, they see an increase in positivity and civic pride, let alone the cultural cachet to businesses looking to invest, and tourism etc.

Otis

I fail to see why it should be. The sums involved are hugely insignificant in the wider context of a council's full budget. It's such a pitifully small amount we're talking in a wider context, it's only being targeted because it'sa soft target.

And it ties into not just numbers of who goes, but awareness and culture of a city. Bristol, for example, invest a huge amount into their arts and heritage and, with it, they see an increase in positivity and civic pride, let alone the cultural cachet to businesses looking to invest, and tourism etc.

No, totally agree.

Sorry, maybe not making myself clear, NW. I mean in terms of if it was a scenario of either charge or close. If that were the only two options, then I think they would have to charge.

There are of course other options, but you sort of get the feeling that with this council that is what it might well boil down to.

Terry Gibson's perm

It's all ok though they managed to find the money for their new offices which won't be needed once all the power goes to Birmingham.

i haven't been to the gallery for many years are they expecting the Higgs trust to step in with the cash?

lordsummerisle

Good interview with Bill Bryson in the Guardian at the weekend, this part particularly struck me:

Attitudes have also changed mostly for the better, although not always. There is this paradox that Britain has never been so rich and the amount of money and possessions most people have cannot be compared with what people had when I first arrived. And yet the country behaves as if it has never been so poor. The refrain you constantly hear is “we can’t afford it”. It feels like we are permanently in this age of austerity in which we not only can’t afford large things – housing for all that need it, cottage hospitals in every town – but also small things such as flower beds on roundabouts. All these things the country had when I first came here, and when we were all much poorer.

An awful lot of truth in that, seems that since 1979, anything that can't have a cash value put on it is therefore considered as worthless and non-productive.

wingy

Good interview with Bill Bryson in the Guardian at the weekend, this part particularly struck me:

An awful lot of truth in that, seems that since 1979, anything that can't have a cash value put on it is therefore considered as worthless and non-productive.

Yes but we must run a surplus.

Nick

Administrator
I went once to a dinosaur exhibition, I understand it isn't the museum that took my money for entry it was more the actual exhibition but my god it was dog shit! I could have made better with paper mache.

After we went out of there, my daughter did stain glass painting further down free of charge and it was fantastic and she had much more fun.

Otis

Yep, we went to that too. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it was a tad disappointing for sure.

The History of Us exhibition that was just on was absolutely brilliant! I loved it so much I went back 3 times to see it.

Nick

Administrator
Yep, we went to that too. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it was a tad disappointing for sure.

It was compared to other Dinosaur things like that, it took us less than 10 minutes to go round it. :(

NorthernWisdom

The History of Us exhibition that was just on was absolutely brilliant! I loved it so much I went back 3 times to see it.

Is also the problem when you have to do everything on a budget of less than zero - you end up with visions produced half-cock, and not to their best.

Nick

Administrator
The volunteers doing stained glass painting were much better! You tend to judge it on how long it takes to hear " can we go now "

skybluetony176

Be a big shame if this happens. I've took my two kids over the last two summer holidays and they loved it.

Big mistake if you ask me. It definitely brings people into Coventry, maybe not necessarily on it's own but just because I could spend all day at the motor museum doesn't mean that my two kids will so if it shuts our annual outing to the Coventry museums will come to an end.

J

Jack Griffin

This looks awfully like a scare story so the council can appear heroic when they 'save' the Herbert.

PS If they hadn't wasted 250K on 'engaging with the public' on a decision about the WMCA they were going to rubber stamp regardless of what they were told maybe they wouldn't be in this position.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/angry-scenes-coventry-council-says-9475649

Never was a real threat to close the Herbert, I dunno these people must take the public for idiots.
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/closure-herbert-art-gallery-no-10426713

chiefdave

Reads very much to me as a prepared statement that's been passed to him to put out. Notice that nowhere does it say the cuts aren't being made so if they aren't getting the money how are they going to maintain the current standard?

Users who are viewing this thread