Heading to L1 (1 Viewer)

steve82

Ipswich Town are heading to L1 and Bolton almost certainly look to be joining them with 8 points to find on 3rd bottom Rotherham on 40 points. Last relegation spot looks likely between Rotherham, Wigan, Millwall and Reading who sit on 44 points in 19th. Birmingham City are not safe themselves on 46 or QPR on 48.

Lincoln look to have all but won L2 and officially gained promotion Saturday currently sitting 10 points clear of Bury and a point to Mansfield with 4 games remaining.

MK Dons and Tranmere will have a big say in the automatic spots too. As per anyone from 12th up cannot be discounted at this stage in the play offs.

Some good away days are on the cards in 19/20 to look forward to with a trip to Lincoln the pick for me. Was one of the best away days in 17/18.

L1 really could be for the taking and potentially looks wide open

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

No surprise to see Lincoln winning L2 this season with some good emerging young British brothers in the Cowley’s with a growing list of promotions and cup honours on there CV’s from grass roots level over the last decade. I rate this pair having created a very good feel good factor about the club having been backed to do so

Be interesting to see how far they can go in the game rising up the pyramid system and now establishing themselves in the professional game with cup and league success in both seasons since promotion to L2 with Lincoln.

I don’t see them as being as much as a force in L1 at the first attempt but will be competitive, likely similar to our season this year than a Luton say. Squad needs enhancing this summer to replicate anything near that.

Any of the championship clubs coming down could be a force. Ipswich could be very competitive as could Bolton if the change of ownership happens very soon

Captain Dart

No surprise to see Lincoln winning L2 this season with some good emerging young British brothers in the Cowley’s with a growing list of promotions and cup honours on there CV’s from grass roots level over the last decade. I rate this pair having created a very good feel good factor about the club having been backed to do so

Be interesting to see how far they can go in the game rising up the pyramid system and now establishing themselves in the professional game with cup and league success in both seasons since promotion to L2 with Lincoln.

I don’t see them as being as much as a force in L1 at the first attempt but will be competitive, likely similar to our season this year than a Luton say. Squad needs enhancing this summer to replicate anything near that.

Any of the championship clubs coming down could be a force. Ipswich could be very competitive as could Bolton if the change of ownership happens very soon

I can see them having a big future, but they'll have to move from Lincoln to achieve it.

Liquid Gold

Ipswich I think will need a year of consolidation after a very poor season.
Bolton are a basket case and could see them drop again without new owners
Rotherham will do well, too good for League 1 not good enough for the Championship.
Lincoln I think will reach their level about mid table
MK Dons will be a threat with their budget

We're losing Luton and, most likely, all but one of Pompey, Barnsley & Sunderland.

Real good opportunity to give it a go next year.

kg82

From what I remember it’s not the greatest football they play, but it’s effective. I couldn’t see it being played in the PL, if they were to get offers at a higher level.

covcity4life

Ipswich Town are heading to L1 and Bolton almost certainly look to be joining them with 8 points to find on 3rd bottom Rotherham on 40 points. Last relegation spot looks likely between Rotherham, Wigan, Millwall and Reading who sit on 44 points in 19th. Birmingham City are not safe themselves on 46 or QPR on 48.

Lincoln look to have all but won L2 and officially gained promotion Saturday currently sitting 10 points clear of Bury and a point to Mansfield with 4 games remaining.

MK Dons and Tranmere will have a big say in the automatic spots too. As per anyone from 12th up cannot be discounted at this stage in the play offs.

Some good away days are on the cards in 19/20 to look forward to with a trip to Lincoln the pick for me. Was one of the best away days in 17/18.

L1 really could be for the taking and potentially looks wide open

i agree steve had been thinking this myself

none of the relegaed teams scare me(hope wigan survive)although expect ipswich to sort act out bolton are in disseray
and none of promoted teams do either although i expect lincoln to challenge for back to back promotions
and 2 big/impressive teams(most prob 3) will leave us to go championship(luton,sunderland,barsnley,pompey or charlton)

keep this great robins work going, somehow stay at ricoh and we really can look to win the league

steve82

I can see them having a big future, but they'll have to move from Lincoln to achieve it.

Yes, they were linked with Ipswich last summer and rightly avoided a difficult job and stayed to achieve a promotion and likely title. Impressive cv they are building as they rise.

From what I remember it’s not the greatest football they play, but it’s effective. I couldn’t see it being played in the PL, if they were to get offers at a higher level.

According to reports they have evolved as a side slightly after a year in L2 but still use direct tactics at times.

That’s what will be interesting to see how they evolve as managers as they work with better players on better pitches.

steve82

none of the relegaed teams scare me(hope wigan survive)although expect ipswich to sort act out bolton are in disseray
and none of promoted teams do either although i expect lincoln to challenge for back to back promotions
and 2 big/impressive teams(most prob 3) will leave us to go championship(luton,sunderland,barsnley,pompey or charlton)

keep this great robins work going, somehow stay at ricoh and we really can look to win the league

Agree, no side phases me. Peterborough and Doncaster if they retain John Marquis will be around the play offs again. Charlton if they stay in L1.

It’s a real good opportunity if all the stars line up off the pitch

Liquid Gold

Looking forward to the Sunderland rematch when they inevitably mess up the play-offs.
I don't know how I feel about them going up. If they don't then surely they will be a threat next season so would be good to get them out the way. Even with parachute payments running out they have a load of old contracts off the books and enough paying punters to properly outspend the rest of the league.

steve82

I don't know how I feel about them going up. If they don't then surely they will be a threat next season so would be good to get them out the way. Even with parachute payments running out they have a load of old contracts off the books and enough paying punters to properly outspend the rest of the league.

Let them go, they are better off out the division if we want to go up ourselves

Fergusons_Beard

Lincoln Away again.

Looking forward to pretending to be an aeroplane.

THE best away game last year (barring Play offs).

Great atmosphere-skyblue army at its best (i.e. Not chucking bottles) and reacting with humour and brilliant singing.

Plus a great away win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KeresleyArmpit

Sunderland didn't look very big or impressive on Saturday.

skyblue025

Sunderland will lose the parachute payment next season. They won’t be able to retain the likes of Cattermole on 50k a week contracts. They will still have a top budget but will probably need a squad rebuild with the loss of parachute payments.

Captain Dart

Sunderland will lose the parachute payment next season. They won’t be able to retain the likes of Cattermole on 50k a week contracts. They will still have a top budget but will probably need a squad rebuild with the loss of parachute payments.
They will still be a force in this division but they will be running a big deficit.

oucho

What kind of odds could you get on us beating Sunderland in the play-off final this season??

skyblue025

They will still be a force in this division but they will be running a big deficit.

it will depend on FFP. They can only run at a certain loss for 2 seasons as Birmingham recently found out. They have cut their costs but had to pay off the 2 players at the start of the season which I think was 12-16 million depending on which figures you take. They should be a force with 40k a week turning up. They might go up anyway and it will be irrelevant.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I’d like Birmingham to come down; nice local Derby (perhaps a very local local derby if we ground share with them :D).

Rotherham have a nice ground; last time I went there I parked at their old ground, part of which was still standing, and walked over. Not sure if it’s since been redeveloped?

Grendel

it will depend on FFP. They can only run at a certain loss for 2 seasons as Birmingham recently found out. They have cut their costs but had to pay off the 2 players at the start of the season which I think was 12-16 million depending on which figures you take. They should be a force with 40k a week turning up. They might go up anyway and it will be irrelevant.

You’ve got it the wrong way round. The rules are based on losses in the championship and on turnover percentage in this league

JimmyHillsbeard

What kind of odds could you get on us beating Sunderland in the play-off final this season??
Pretty massive, Sunderland would have to finish 4th in the league, beat Charlton (presuming they’re 5th) over two legs and then meet us from 6th after our victory over Barnsley or Portsmouth.

CanadianCCFC

Pretty massive, Sunderland would have to finish 4th in the league, beat Charlton (presuming they’re 5th) over two legs and then meet us from 6th after our victory over Barnsley or Portsmouth.
giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

Ipswich I think will need a year of consolidation after a very poor season.
Bolton are a basket case and could see them drop again without new owners
Rotherham will do well, too good for League 1 not good enough for the Championship.
Lincoln I think will reach their level about mid table
MK Dons will be a threat with their budget

We're losing Luton and, most likely, all but one of Pompey, Barnsley & Sunderland.

Real good opportunity to give it a go next year.

If we don’t make playoffs, I want Sunderland to get promoted via the playoffs. They arguably have more resources available than Wolves when they came down here. So, I don’t want us to have to compete with that and another batch of Championship sides. Bolton in recent years have been too good for L1.

Our target for next season should be playoffs.

Mucca Mad Boys

Out problem is not with any good teams coming down but our inability to maximise points against the dross . That's why we missed out this year

It’s our inability to take chances. We nearly threw away our lead against Bradford and they would’ve put everyone they had behind the ball. Too many missed chances and too many goals from set pieces against the ‘lesser’ teams.

stevefloyd

Its definitely goals that has cost us this season with the inability to break down park the bus teams then getting sucker punched we have given away too many points to teams that are low in the table....so frustrating again

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I still think we will see this season as missed opportunity.

With a bit more discipline we could have been in the playoffs comfortably.

Still, an 8th finish is better than relegation!

steve82

Lincoln are confirmed L2 champions having topped L2 quite impressively since September, last auto spots are between Bury (who’ve a game in hand v Tranmere Tuesday) Mansfield, MK Dons, Tranmere and mathematically Forest Green still.

Play offs looks to go to any of the named with Exeter who hold very slim hopes and even slimmer for Colchester, Carlisle, Newport (game in hand still) and Stevenage who need a lot of things to fall right.

Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich are the confirmed relegated championship clubs.

Additional note in L2 is it will be either Notts County or Macclesfield who will join already relegated Yeovil in the National League

Irish Sky Blue

Nice memories of Rotherham last time we played there, coming from behind to take the lead, Murphy saving a penalty and Baker scoring from inside his own half. (We were also given a penalty which was for a foul later confirmed as outside the box. All of this made even better as Steve Evans was their manager).

Irish Sky Blue

Followed up a week later by coming from behind from a Jim O’Brien goal to win at Barnsley in the FA Cup. A Yorkshire double.
This was the high point for me of Presley’s time as manager. I loved those away wins as the view from the hill in Northampton was crap so most of the “home” highlights that season were missed. (Although I did see that amazing chip by Moussa for free).

no_loyalty

I think Lincoln will do well next season, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread