Have a look at this table (1 Viewer)

procdoc

Bristol City have players they have spent millions on and we are above them with three games to go. Unreal effort

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Bristol City have players they have spent millions on and we are above them with three games to go. Unreal effort
Does anyone know why we are above Bristol City in the league table ? Same points, same goals for and against. So what's it then based on ? Bristol have won more than us so I'm at a loss to understand what criteria is used after goal difference or goals scored . Is it blue before red ?

Frank Sidebottom

Does anyone know why we are above Bristol City in the league table ? Same points, same goals for and against. So what's it then based on ? Bristol have won more than us so I'm at a loss to understand what criteria is used after goal difference or goals scored . Is it blue before red ?
Head to head record, They beat us 2-1 we beat them 3-1.

skyblueelephant76

It's based on the games against each other. We scored 1 more goal

Mucca Mad Boys

Head to head record I think. They beat us by 1 goal, we beat them by 2.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Head to head record I think. They beat us by 1 goal, we beat them by 2.
Its puzzled me too. Used to be alphabetical for 'not end of season' tables. I also thought it might be the 'head to head' as Coventry have a very slight advantage over Bristol City.

Many things change these days so always a mistake to assume what used to happen to be true. I found this , it refers to Premier which therefore be irrelevant and also could be out of date anyway.

According to the Premier League Handbook, the two teams are tied if the positions are irrelevant (i.e. no relegation or cup qualification is affected):

C.7: Subject to Rule C.17, if any two or more Clubs have scored the same number of points, have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals in League Matches in that Season; they shall be deemed to occupy the same position in the table.
In listed tables for this case, the tied teams are typically listed in alphabetical order.

If the positions are significant, the teams play off for the position:

C.14: If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because two or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread