Has your opinion of Birmingham changed? (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

Nice to have this love in, but now we are in the same league things might not stay so rosy. At the 1st cup game last season (not sure about the replay) Blues fans were looking for trouble, as has historically been the case when we've played them, and now we are a rival in the same league they are likely to become more antagonistic to us, particularly as is possible, that we do better than them. Aside from that the feel good factor for us was definitely assisted by the good season we were having, so if we struggle next season that could have a negative impact too.

wingy

They might nobble the pitch for our weekends Lol
giphy.gif

Grendel

I don’t mind going and the ground (concourse apart) is fine

I won’t renew though unless the make a convincing statement regarding its future and new ground plans and interim strategy

Nick

Administrator
Nice to have this love in, but now we are in the same league things might not stay so rosy. At the 1st cup game last season (not sure about the replay) Blues fans were looking for trouble, as has historically been the case when we've played them, and now we are a rival in the same league they are likely to become more antagonistic to us, particularly as is possible, that we do better than them. Aside from that the feel good factor for us was definitely assisted by the good season we were having, so if we struggle next season that could have a negative impact too.

There is always going to be that bit of trouble if people are out looking for it though.

I think it was the one where we were the away team, we walked in a "home" pub full of Blues fans and just had a drink. People came in with city shirts and hats and there was absolutely no issues at all.

However, walk about giving it loads and there's bound to be trouble.

shmmeee

Birmingham itself? Thought it was a shit hole, Stans area only confirmed that.

Birmingham City? Thought they were a decent honest club with proper fans (not like the other Brummie shite), Stans visits only confirmed that.

Stan_Drews

From my point of view I thought fans mixed happily in the main over the course of both games.

At the first game attitudes changed once word went round that Cov had bought some kind of ‘firm’ if that’s what you call a gang getting off a train and shouting a lot. No reflection on Cov fans on the whole of course but some of our more ‘enthusiastic’ fans saw that as a liberty and wanted a go.

Don't think anything happened of that nature in the replay.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I find the problem is always if you go looking for trouble - you’ll generally find it. Birmingham fans I encountered in the cup game were fine.

even had a bit of banter. They’re only bothered with villa.

Legia Sky Blue

From my point of view I thought fans mixed happily in the main over the course of both games.

At the first game attitudes changed once word went round that Cov had bought some kind of ‘firm’ if that’s what you call a gang getting off a train and shouting a lot. No reflection on Cov fans on the whole of course but some of our more ‘enthusiastic’ fans saw that as a liberty and wanted a go.

Don't think anything happened of that nature in the replay.

Possibly, I got the impression that the large groups looking for Cov fans going back to the station after the game, outside the Digbeth pubs was more organised than a knee jerk response to some Cov kids shouting their mouths off, and were lads that hadn't even been to the game (or at best had left very early).

BornSlippySkyBlue

Possibly, I got the impression that the large groups looking for Cov fans going back to the station after the game, outside the Digbeth pubs was more organised than a knee jerk response to some Cov kids shouting their mouths off, and were lads that hadn't even been to the game (or at best had left very early).
I’d heard about the group of fans giving it loads when they got off the train (from locals in Brum) before the game even started, so pretty sure the blues’ fans had time to ‘mobilise the troops’ in response. I didn’t hear anything at all about planned trouble before that happened.

It was a response to our chav squad giving it the billy big bollox after they’d snorted half of Columbia on the way over.

Monners

I don’t mind going and the ground (concourse apart) is fine

I won’t renew though unless the make a convincing statement regarding its future and new ground plans and interim strategy
I am getting a season ticket this year after many years. I do understand your point though in regard to the future etc..

Grendel

I am getting a season ticket this year after many years. I do understand your point though in regard to the future etc..

It’s a personal view - I’ll probably relent anyway but at the moment find it incongruous that a solution cannot be found to allow football in Coventry and no plan to resolve

ccfcway

Of course we should be in Coventry, but that wasn’t the question. No point hating Birmingham because we have a council full of twats and imported a franchise rugger team from London. From what I’ve seen the blues’ fans have been pretty good with us squatting in their ground. All the ones I know in brum are more curious about what’s going on in Cov than anything else.

Dare I say it, the villa fans are the same. All I get is questions about wtf is going on and agreement that wasps and the council are cunts (when I’ve explained the situation). Outside of Coventry, and even possibly outside of a minority of our fans, nobody has a clue. All they know are a few keywords, SISU, ricoh, wasps, Birmingham. That’s about it.

But I get your point, totally.

the good news is by and large, the momentum from last season is still there.

To declare an interest, i'm still scared from my experience of supporting Warwickshire bears and loving going to the games. as soon as the name changed, it died for me. this doesn't feel a million miles off. i dont support any cricket team any more

BornSlippySkyBlue

To declare an interest, i'm still scared from my experience of supporting Warwickshire bears and loving going to the games. as soon as the name changed, it died for me. this doesn't feel a million miles off. i dont support any cricket team any more
No I get that. It is a bit cheeky of Warwickshire to use the name Birmingham, but I don’t know the detail of the decision to be fair so can’t comment.

I don’t think this (CCFC) is the same sort of thing though, and where we play has nothing to do with the city of Birmingham itself, it’s just where we ended up. In truth the bit of Birmingham near the ground isn’t the most salubrious, I think most brummies would agree. There are nicer bits, and like any city, not so nice bits. Digbeth is good for pubs, never went to the roost but some seem to love it, so the match day experience is pretty good. Obviously would prefer cov, and I had the Ricoh trip down to a fine art! But where we are could be a lot worse.

So selfishly I’m not that bothered, but realistically we need to be back in cov ASAP before we end up playing with the lowest budget for league 1 in the championship.

chiefdave

No I get that. It is a bit cheeky of Warwickshire to use the name Birmingham, but I don’t know the detail of the decision to be fair so can’t comment.
Birmingham Council are to blame. They loaned the club £20m towards the huge amount of work they had done a few years ago and wanted the name changed to promote the city.

After fans went nuts over it one of the councillors said he couldn’t understand why people were upset!

lord_garrincha

Well technically they are called Birmingham in T20... Is that actually cricket?!!

This is probably more off topic, but I and my son are members at Edgbaston (wow, it's been great this year!)... But I was thoroughly pissed off with the name change. Mainly for the reason that gave that Asian families would be more inclined to go, which is utter nonsense.

A bit like mothers and kids will start to go to watch cricket matches because there is now only 100 balls per innings just shows that most authorities are bordering on insanity!

letsallsingtogether

Used go drinking there regularly when my wife was at uni there.
Used to drink in the Shakespeare, The Midland Hotel and the Bier Keller.
Some good nights out.
But fuck me the local girls could fight.

Users who are viewing this thread