Has a lie ever come back and bit you ? (1 Viewer)

The Reverend Skyblue

I'm trying to cheer myself up and the following is the truth.

When I moved to France 9 years ago i got a team of builders in to start the renovation of the house.They were all English and a good laugh, but for some reason they thought i was loaded, (which I'm not)

They kept asking where i had got my money from,(all i had made was to sell my previous house for a nice profit), but on and on they went.

So i decided to wind them up, i told them one morning that i was the ex drummer of Kajagoogoo,old ones will remember. I thought they would say, you're talking bull poo, but for some reason they took it hook line and sinker.

The very next day all the builders bought there wifes to come and see me and meet the ex-drummer of Kajagoogoo. By now me and the wife were going out socially with them all the time but for some reason i never owned up.I just loved winding the builders up, and some of the tales i made up were embarressing.

We were starting to meet lots of people by now and getting invited to all the barbiques and dinners locally, just so new people could meet me.

I had dug myself into an almighty hole by now and i dreaded going out, but the invites never stopped so we had to keep going. All good things come to an end and it all come famously undone at another barbeque, when one of the guests had bought along her poster she had kept of her favorite band in the eighties, yes you've guessed Kaja-bloody goo goo.

It became clear that the drummer in the picture was blond, and i'm brown/black in colour and looked nothing like said drummer.
So in the front of about 40 people i had to confess and the look of disappointment/anger will stay with me for ever. i soon made my excuses and left never ever to see those people again.

The builders loved it that i had wound them up,and they ae still mates today but our social circle virtually disappeared overnight

The Rev

Last edited:

wingy

I'm trying to cheer myself up and the following is the truth.

When I moved to France 9 years ago i got a team of builders in to start the renovation of the house.They were all English and a good laugh, but for some reason they thought i was loaded, (which I'm not)

They kept asking where i had got my money from,(all i had made was to sell my previous house for a nice profit), but on and on they went.

So i decided to wind them up, i told them one morning that i was the ex drummer of Kajagoogoo,old ones will remember. I thought they would say, you're talking bull poo, but for some reason they took it hook line and sinker.

The very next day all the builders bought there wifes to come and see me and meet the ex-drummer of Kajagoogoo. By now me and the wife were going out socially with them all the time but for some reason i never owned up.I just loved winding the builders up, and some of the tales i made up were embarressing.

We were starting to meet lots of people by now and getting invited to all the barbiques and dinners locally, just so new people could meet me.

I had dug myself into an almighty hole by now and i dreaded going out, but we had to keep going out.All good things come to an end and it all come famously undone at another barbeque, when one of the guests had bought along her poster she had kept of her favorite band in the eighties, yes you've guessed Kaja-bloody goo goo.

It became clear that the drummer in the picture was blond, and i'm brown/black in colour and looked nothing like said drummer.
So in the front of about 40 people i had to confess and the look of disappointment/anger will stay with me for ever. i soon made my excuses and left never ever to see those people again.

The builders loved it that i had wound them up,and they ae still mates today but our social circle virtually disappeared overnight

The Rev
Great Whoppa Rev, unfortunately not in your league.:)
:laugh::laugh:

Disorganised1

Once on our way to a vicars and tarts night my mate and I popped into the Old Dyers Arms and got involved in a conversation with some of the group in there. In particular there was an Irish chap having some 'life' problems, that my mate and I, as priests, were able to advise him on. He was exceedingly grateful and insisted on buying all our drinks while we were there.

Some 6 hours later there was a hammering on the door at the party, and as we'd already had several complaints about the noise we had a fair idea what this was going to be about. Several of us went to the door to put a stop to this once and for all. You can probably guess who was at the front of the delegation, it was my drinking benefactor from earlier in the evening.

We recognised each other, and for some mad reason I dropped back into priest mode and said, "What on earth is all this unholy banging about. Can honest people not have a small celebration ?" He paused ~ then said "You bastard." Then hit me.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Great story, I love how they all ate it up. They obviously had no clue who you were on about as I don't now and just thought it was cool to be friends with someone who was an ex band member. How long did you keep the lie going for?

gdEAAvEdC1zL_m.jpg

Which one were you?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You should send this story into Simon Mayo's "Confessions"! Brilliant!

(Personally, (looking at the pic above), I reckon you were supposed to be the one with the pigtails!)

Too shy, too shy!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This is Jez Strode, Kajagoogoo's drummer. Is this you Rev?!
736px-Jez_Strode.jpg

The Reverend Skyblue

Yea that was the drummer I was supposed to be.I am totally opposite to what he looked like.
To answer the other question the lie went on for about 6 months, and i had dug myself into such a hole that when we went to see the not so good live bands that were about locally, i absolutely dreaded these new friends /aquiantancies asking me to do a turn on the bands drums. I have'nt a clue how to play them, and sometimes it made me feel sick that i was about to be exposed in this way.

The Rev

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread