Harry Redknapp to replace Capello... (1 Viewer)

tippex9

Just heard that, I think we'd have nothing to lose. We ain't getting out of the group with (not-so)Fab in charge.

New manager syndrome could get us far......

AngryAnt

Never been a fan of 'our arry' and don't really want him to be in charge of the national team (every single club he's left has gone into admin after, plus the whole pompy to southampton then back again was just criminal).

I also wanted Capello when he first started as his club level record speaks volumes, shame he hasn't really been able to summon up the blood in the national team. Not just his fault though, i mean tactically wise he has gotten it wrong on more than one occasion but players also should want to play for the national team and most of the players at the moment look like they can't be bothered half the time (the caged lions quote springs to mind).

Still, guess we haven't got anything to lose and thought it was a stupid announcement saying he was only going to stay for these Euro's anyway, but short sighted.

ajsccfc

I don't rate Redknapp at all but I hope he is next just so we won't have to listen to people saying all that nonsense about how he'd make us win via 'pride' and 'passion', two of the most meaningless attributes trotted out in relation to football.

Much like Alan Shearer and Newcastle, he's the figure hanging over any managerial appointment so it's best to give him the job, accept the inevitable disappointment and then move on. Triffic, 110%, cushty.

Covstu

thought Capello would bring some much needed professionalism to the squad but it hasnt happened, he does not motovate the fans or players and we need a change. Hearing his comments about how the team were performing on the pre warm up before the wales game and he knew that they were not going to play well (and did nothing about it!) was the icing on the cake for me.

Is Harry the right man, he is the best we have and is English.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Personally would have preferred Wenger

Astute

If a foreign manager then would go for a british manager. Fergie would be my choice. He has taken Man U from low down to one of the best teams in europe. They have stayed near the top for many years. Don't think he would want it though.

Gaz

I think it clearly isn't working with Fab in charge, so we really do need a change and Harry would be my first choice.

But the main thing that needs to happen is, it's time to bring in the England youth and build a team for the future.

Germany had the right idea and it's really starting to pay off now.

Paxman II

Please don't associate my old friend Harry with comments like criminal, even in jest.
The only thing Harry could ever be guilty of is trying to help people out if he could.

The guy is a top bloke. He has an undwindling passion for football in this country and a very good track record of motivation.

He would glory in the opportunity to pick from a huge pool of talent. To think that requires no transfer kitty either!
He knows the game inside out and then some.
He carries the respect of just about everyone in football and most importantly the players.

When he was at Bournemouth many years ago he would ask if his players had been in my club, to keep an eye on them and send them packing early and be sure it was no more than a couple of drinks. He liked the players to relax but also knew where the guidelines had to be drawn if they were going to have serious footballing careers.
Of course Harry went on to bigger and better since those good old days but still lives in Sandbanks.

I would have to ask him if he still wanted the England job as it has become such a poisoned chalice. I know his response will be a passionate one and a very big yes regardless of any flack he would encounter along the way. Give Harry £6m a year and he'll walk on hot coals for our national team!

Last edited:

ajsccfc

I don't believe Redknapp to be dodgy really, but it's fun to apply the wideboy wheeler-dealer caricature to him, like football's Del Boy. Play it cool Trig, know what I mean?

People always talk about his former clubs being in financial trouble, but unless Redknapp is the board as well as the boss I don't see how he can be blamed too much. Marco Boogers and Florin Raducioiu though, no defence for those.

egastap

I have always rated 'Arry ever since his days at Bournemouth....this guy knows the game inside out and always believed in attacking football. I think he would be the best manager since Alf Ramsay. It's a pity he can't take Gareth Bale with him though.

Macca

still don't think he could do anything with England. We need a whole new generation of youngsters being schooled in skill and technique from an early age

Sub

be intresting to see if there is anymore progression of the youngsters or if we go back to more of the old gaurd like lampard:thinking about:

Il Pirata

His tactical naivety will be horribly exposed at international level, but at least if twitcher comes in we can lose as an English team :pimp:

Covstu

we need someone to spark some passion into the overpaid pre-madonna's! The skill is there but they need someone to pull them together as a unit like Robson & Venables did, Capello is not that man but Arry is!

Kuklinski

I don't see what Capello has done wrong. His record at club level is second to none, but he has failed to get the best out of a generation of overhyped big heads, he's not the 1st to fail on that score is he??

Stick with Capello, if he can't get them performing nobody can, and maybe people might start waking up to the fact the players aren't actually as good as the hype.

Paxman II

I don't see what Capello has done wrong. His record at club level is second to none, but he has failed to get the best out of a generation of overhyped big heads, he's not the 1st to fail on that score is he??

Stick with Capello, if he can't get them performing nobody can, and maybe people might start waking up to the fact the players aren't actually as good as the hype.

It's a good point and I have called for the old guard to be let go for the last season or two. The lampards, Gerrards, terry's etc. Too old, no pace and no enthusiasm with all that money and 'fame'.
The new breed are arriving with the likes of wiltshire, johnson, etc and we have seen some better performances.

wingy

Not sure what more Capello could or should have done,his win ratio is excellent 66.7 % ,the issues definately relate to players attitudes,he seemed quite strict from the outset commanding respect ,keeping his distance,which seemed fine when they were only away on short trips .But down in south africa there was a bad smell in the camp ,largely coming from JT,after throwing the whole qualifying process into turmoil with his off field antics ,his inflated ego "i was born to do this," interveiw on the sunday morning ,believing the whole squad were with him[clown],that for meis the only real mistake capello made ,he should have been frozen out of the squad .then there was sulky Wayne, players partying ,smoking stoggies after one of the most inept performances at the tournament.IMOalot of the problems lay at Svens door,wags etc,there seemed to be a London set within the squad and gerrard trying to win on his own.Going back to Sven again the win ratio luadible @59.7% but his lifestyle off field would i imagine make it impossible for him to gain true respect from the squad,they were to flaming busy trying to grow their supersrar profiles.the last English manager to seemingly be successful was Hoddle,to long ago to remember the players or style ,win ratio 60.7%,but that ill fated interview did for him,was it consulting phsycics if i remember correctly?Dont think harry would win us a championship in all honesty.Regarding foreign managers i dont have an issue ,thats not true for everyone i know ,the FA have made some right howlers ,the biggest being giving him the deal prior to the World cup and then trying shift him pretty much straight after it,he knew he was a deadman walking and so do the players.back on the foreigner point ,there is an issue with players ,there truly have been some excellent stars play in our top division ,Berkamp,Cantona ,Henry ,more i'm sure fit that catogory,who have had an influence on the game here,inspiring Rooney and the like to try audaciuos things ,live a heaalthier lifestyle,but noweadays there are far too many distinctly average players that i'm sure could be generated from within our own leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread