Hard Sun (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone watching?

BBC One, by the writer of Luther and starring Jim Sturgess.

I love Luther and and a very big fan of Jim Sturgess, so was very much looking forwards to this.

Found it very entertaining, but rather daft in a number of places and laced with lots of 'ohhhh pleeeassse' moments.

Disappointed in Sturgess in this. Maybe it's the London/Cockneyish accent, but he seems rather flat. Aisling Bea's accent is all rather dodgy too.

Will stick with it though. Doesn't tax the brain too much and is quite passable entertainment for an evening.

Ian1779

Only seen episode 1 so far... even though I know all are on iPlayer. Have you watched further on?

Otis

Only seen episode 1 so far... even though I know all are on iPlayer. Have you watched further on?
Oh no. Didn't know they were all available. Might binge watch then, unless it gets a bit more ridiculous and worse.

What did you think?

Ian1779

A few bits seemed a bit out of kilter (like the opening scene) but the subject matter had me prepared to stay with it.

Think the next episode or 2 will make/break it. It needs a strong follow up to keep the ideas of the intertwining stories credible IMO.

Otis

A few bits seemed a bit out of kilter (like the opening scene) but the subject matter had me prepared to stay with it.

Think the next episode or 2 will make/break it. It needs a strong follow up to keep the ideas of the intertwining stories credible IMO.
Yeah, I liked it enough. Did find the 'football mob' MI5 scene rather ridiculous. The MI5 lot could have just approached them and then taken them all in to custody and took the flash drive.'

The other bit that got me was that at no point did our two main characters think to make a copy of the drive before then handing it over. Could have easily then had a bargaining chip once they got their families back, however temporary that would be.

Oh and one more bit, the tailing sequence was ridiculous. The car was so close to the moped and for the whole journey and quite some length of journey it was too. The moped rider would definitely have seen the car following him.

chiefdave

Couldn't get in to it. I know its SciFi but it was too unrealistic for me. The way people were reacting to viewing something for a few seconds on a phone was ridiculous.

Otis

Couldn't get in to it. I know its SciFi but it was too unrealistic for me. The way people were reacting to viewing something for a few seconds on a phone was ridiculous.
Yeah, twas. It was rather laughable.

In reality there would be a degree of puzzlement and and confusion at first before any acceptance and realisation. The scene in the car park where the businessman had the briefest of looks at the footage and then punched the guy while shouting 'I've got children!!' in a very loud voice was quite ridiculous.

Will keep with it though.

Otis

British TV - truly awful.
Disagree. You taking in general?

I have now watched all 6 episodes and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is so gripping you forget all the nonsense and dumbness. Very well acted and gripping and tense.

And if you are talking in general, Britain TV produces some of the best TV in the world.

Paxman II

Sorry Otis apart from an odd one here and there most British TV is rank awful. Shows are made with less money and it often shows.
I will watch this new show as it sounds like one of those odd good ones.
Most general TV is awful tbh where ever you are. With Amazon, Starz, Netflix etc the shows are of exceptional quality on the whole by comparison.

Otis

Sorry Otis apart from an odd one here and there most British TV is rank awful. Shows are made with less money and it often shows.
I will watch this new show as it sounds like one of those odd good ones.
Most general TV is awful tbh where ever you are. With Amazon, Starz, Netflix etc the shows are of exceptional quality on the whole by comparison.
But we can't compete with the budgets of the American big players, so obviously we can't produce as much great TV, but we do produce some great TV.

Surely it is all just about degrees and scale isn't it?

Paxman II

I agree Otis, scale is the key to better. So soleley British produced TV will never be as good as some of those I've mentioned, which is why much of it is awful.
Where British TV programming is usually worth a peek is when it has involved collaboration with other networks where financial clout has a bearing on what is made, then shared.
The BBC fails to buy a lot of great programming instead spending on 'home produced' garbage. Here is a list of a few great shows to look up:
Outlander
Black Sails
Big Little Lies
Bloodline
Ozark
Godless
To name a few.... I struggle to think of a single programme I watch on British TV/BBC.

Otis

In fairness

Line of Duty was british on BBC and was excellent.
Yep.

So too...

Broadchurch

The Night Manager

Sherlock

McMafia

Utopia

Luther

Peaky Blinders (only basing that on other people's views, as not seen it myself)

Black Mirror

RegTheDonk

Peaky Blinders (only basing that on other people's views, as not seen it myself)

Black Mirror

Have yet to watch series 4 but Black Mirror has, for the most part, been excellent. Some really good twists and quite original.

Started watching Peaky today, our dinner break entertainment now we've finished Thrones. Happily, it's pretty easy to follow, and looks good so far, if you can forgive the fake accents!

Believe Black Mirror since series 3 has had overseas investment and, with some of the locations, it shows. I don't think we can ever match the kind of money HBO, Netflix, Hula, all those big guns can skin in IF they believe a product will sell. We think of Sky as the moneybags operation, I think they have about a tenth of the wealth of their US counterparts.

While the brits can't match the budgets of the yanks, and perhaps it would be suicide to try unless they are throwing money at an established franchise, we do OK for the home grown grit and humour. Spectacle is great but without a decent story, its boring.

Paxman II

Yep agree mostly with what is said but you will never get a Breaking Bad will you? After that British offerings just seem lame.

Otis

Breaking Bad is SO American though.

Not sure that sort of show would have worked over here anyway.

Have you not seen the Night Manager and McMafia, Pax?

They do have the look and feel of an expensive show. I think McMafia is a joint venture, but still. Great show.

We just make different kinds of shows over here and bigger is not necessarily better.

I still think we make some great TV.

Paxman II

Got to remind you Otis 'Breaking Bad' was a worldwide hit including the UK.
being American has nothing to do with it. It was quite brilliant.

As for the ones you mention there I am going to have a look at McMafia tonight as it's peeked my interest.
I will let you know tomorrow!

Otis

Got to remind you Otis 'Breaking Bad' was a worldwide hit including the UK.
being American has nothing to do with it. It was quite brilliant.

As for the ones you mention there I am going to have a look at McMafia tonight as it's peeked my interest.
I will let you know tomorrow!
Think you are misunderstanding what I am saying about Breaking Bad. The style and feel of the show just wouldn't have worked over here.

The style of the show and style of the dialogue was quintessentially American, just as Sherlock and Luther are quintessentially British.

Paxman II

ha ha OK if you say so Otis.
I'm talking about top shows, fully engrossing and entertaining.
Luther was rubbish. If I see more head and shoulder shots in your face, over acted British drama with over the top aggressive script where everyone shouts at each other I'll have to go hide under a rock till it's gone.
Now I'm gone...don't get over here too often :)

Otis

ha ha OK if you say so Otis.
I'm talking about top shows, fully engrossing and entertaining.
Luther was rubbish. If I see more head and shoulder shots in your face, over acted British drama with over the top aggressive script where everyone shouts at each other I'll have to go hide under a rock till it's gone.
Now I'm gone...don't get over here too often :)
I thought the last series of Luther was a disappointment, but the first two series I thought were pure brilliance.

Captain Dart

Forget credible it is basically a dystopian sci-fi inspired by a Bowie song. I rather like Agnyss. :)

theferret

Yep.

So too...

Broadchurch

The Night Manager

Sherlock

McMafia

Utopia

Luther

Black Mirror

You can add Taboo to that list; many of which were global hits.

We make some great TV here, so much talent. Even Game of Thrones is essentially British 'made' even if the money is American. It's the same with movies - many of the big-budget Hollywood productions have their roots in the UK, such is the level of talent we have here - it isn;t just period drama and the quirky stuff. All of the Star Wars movies have been made here, so too the recent Batman trilogy, movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, Inception and loads more. Yes, the finance behind these productions comes from the big Amercian studios, but we actually make them.

Otis

You can add Taboo to that list; many of which were global hits.

We make some great TV here, so much talent. Even Game of Thrones is essentially British 'made' even if the money is American. It's the same with movies - many of the big-budget Hollywood productions have their roots in the UK, such is the level of talent we have here - it isn;t just period drama and the quirky stuff. All of the Star Wars movies have been made here, so too the recent Batman trilogy, movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, Inception and loads more. Yes, the finance behind these productions comes from the big Amercian studios, but we actually make them.
And you forgot about our very own James Bond. At Pinewood there is a permanent James Bond sound stage where they make all the 007 movies.

tommydazzle

The Promise was brilliant British TV and something epic about it. Showed you the roots of the occupied territories problem in Palestine and the British involvement. Great drama as well. Probably could never be made in America.

Last edited:

Marty

Very much enjoyed Dark Sun. Any recommendations for me, for a similar kinda of series?

Captain Dart

Otis

I quite liked Invisible Sun back in the day.
Not as popular as God the Son though.

Biggest supergroup ever! God the Father, God the Son and God the holy ghost.

Can't quite remember which one was on bass and which one on drums. God the Father was quite clearly the leader and mouthpiece of the band with his billowing vocals.

wingy

Not as popular as God the Son though.

Biggest supergroup ever! God the Father, God the Son and God the holy ghost.

Can't quite remember which one was on bass and which one on drums. God the Father was quite clearly the leader and mouthpiece of the band with his billowing vocals.
Topical you should mention Ghost.
Ghost in the Machine was the album it was from I think.:-?

Otis

Topical you should mention Ghost.
Ghost in the Machine was the album it was from I think.:-?
Never understand the concept of an invisible sun. If it's invisible how do we know it's there? All that warmth might just come from a shed load of Calor gas heaters.

Users who are viewing this thread