Handball - Needs clarification once and for all (1 Viewer)

Otis

Caught a bit of the Man U v Southampton game last night and Mourinho was going mad over a penalty not being given for the ball hitting the hand of a Saints defender in the penalty area.

Watched a bit of MOTD last night and both Shearer and Ian Wright were saying it WAS a penalty, but the referee expert that BT had back in the studio during the actual match was saying 'no penalty.'

He said just because a player's arm is away from his body and the ball hits it, it doesn't mean it is a penalty and it has to be deliberate. Obviously the ref on the field felt the same and I too didn't think it was a penalty. The guy's hands were away from his body, but he was trying to pull his arms away from the ball.

It clearly needs some clarification once and for all and the problem I forsee is that if managers and players keep seeing any handballs as clear penalities that then puts the pressure on the referees and could well influence their decision making.

What is happening now is every time a ball hits a hand managers are up in arms about it (no pun intended).

Worst thing of course is that a decision like this can alter a team's fortunes and win or lose them a cup, or promotion, or a championship, or cost them their place in a league.

Terry Gibson's perm

Normally it’s clear at Old Trafford opposition the ball touches near to hand penalty, Man Utd player catches in the box missed or accidental it’s just the officials have forgotten the rules since fergie left

Sky Blue Pete

Deliberate handball is the sanction. How do you judge motivation without being in the head of the person with the hand?

Always been subjective and will remain so. Ref decision final.

The one for me yesterday was the pen to Burnley that wasn’t given and seeing the Huddersfield defender demand a card for a dive.

Having reffed for many years what I find hard to understand is players not knowing the rules. I know some of them change year on year. My favourite this year has been the rule that an injured player who needs treatment on the pitch can stay on if the defender who injured him was booked. The crowds around me don’t believe the rule has changed

stupot07

From Fifa's Laws of the Game 17/18

b01b1159e669c7fae259b38e767272ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

Some of the laws or rules are just over complicated, just because it isn’t a foul doesn’t mean it’s a dive and the two that get me are obstruction when blocking the player to allow it to go for a goal kick they now do this from 18 yards and goalkeepers wasting time holding the ball too long and that awful taking the goal kick on the other side I know that’s three but I have more:emoji_rage:

Otis

Deliberate handball is the sanction. How do you judge motivation without being in the head of the person with the hand?

Always been subjective and will remain so. Ref decision final.

The one for me yesterday was the pen to Burnley that wasn’t given and seeing the Huddersfield defender demand a card for a dive.

Having reffed for many years what I find hard to understand is players not knowing the rules. I know some of them change year on year. My favourite this year has been the rule that an injured player who needs treatment on the pitch can stay on if the defender who injured him was booked. The crowds around me don’t believe the rule has changed
Yes, I know I is subjective and I know it is the ref's final decision, but if you are getting a manager see it an entirely different way and then the TV pundits back in the studio are agreeing with the manager you can immediately see the problem.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yes, I know I is subjective and I know it is the ref's final decision, but if you are getting a manager see it an entirely different way and then the TV pundits back in the studio are agreeing with the manager you can immediately see the problem.

Both strikers what would a defender have said?

jimmyhillsfanclub

The laws of the game dont need clarification......managers and pundits just need to shut the fuck up regarding referees decisions but as we all know that won't happen, I reckon the ref should be allowed time after the game to review his and the linesman's performance.....he can do this while the pundits and managers whine and chat shit.....he can then go on camera and explain why, in this case, mourihno is plainly wrong to claim it was a penalty.

May be nice to to see the managers and pundits squirm when criticised on live tv for not knowing the laws of the game........put the boot on the other foot for a change.

Terry Gibson's perm

The laws of the game dont need clarification......managers and pundits just need to shut the fuck up regarding referees decisions but as we all know that won't happen, I reckon the ref should be allowed time after the game to review his and the linesman's performance.....he can do this while the pundits and managers whine and chat shit.....he can then go on camera and explain why, in this case, mourihno is plainly wrong to claim it was a penalty.

May be nice to to see the managers and pundits squirm when criticised on live tv for not knowing the laws of the game........put the boot on the other foot for a change.

So the ref from the game today will be humiliated on live tv when he comes on as he got the decision wrong

Users who are viewing this thread