Green Card?! (1 Viewer)

Otis

In-between a yellow and a red?

I thought green meant go. So is this encouraging and inciting a player to go ahead and get a red card?

What a load of bollocks. Surely this will just mean less red cards.

Liquid Gold

It says in the article that it's shown for dissent against referees and punishes a player by 'sending them off' but a team can still bring a sub on if they have them and there is no ban for following games.

You can't moan at the lack of protection referees get then call a trial of a solution bollocks.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I think if players are booked, instead of "collecting" the points over a season, just 'sin-bin' them for 15 minutes. A lot could happen in those 15 minutes, probably something the player might feel guilty about allowing to happen because he's not on the pitch. Still keep the red card for obvious needs though. This works well in rugby. They're off for 10 minutes but the game is shorter.

Otis

It says in the article that it's shown for dissent against referees and punishes a player by 'sending them off' but a team can still bring a sub on if they have them and there is no ban for following games.

You can't moan at the lack of protection referees get then call a trial of a solution bollocks.
I didn't get the article come up. I only got the headline with a pic come up on my tablet. No text at all after that.

Only thing I could read was that it was a green card that was a warning in-between a yellow and a red card.

If there's more to it I need to find another internet hit on it.

Liquid Gold

I didn't get the article come up. I only got the headline with a pic come up on my tablet. No text at all after that.

Only thing I could read was that it was a green card that was a warning in-between a yellow and a red card.

If there's more to it I need to find another internet hit on it.
"
A referee has shown football's first ever green card to discipline a player in the CONFIFA World Cup.

The card, used as a disciplinary measure between the yellow and red cards, was shown to a player at the tournament held in London.

The CONFIFA tournament for non-FIFA affiliated teams was played in non-league grounds in London and became the first competition to include the green card.

It was issued by referee Raymond Mashamba twice in a match between Padania and Tuvalu.

What happens when a player is shown a green card?
CONIFA rules state that "a player who receives a green card must leave the field of play immediately, but can be replaced if his team have not used all of their substitutes.

A player receiving a green card is not excluded from his team's next match."

What is it used for and what has been said about it?
The tournament's organiser Paul Watson told Sky Sports: "We'd really like to clamp down on the dissent problem. Football has a problem with the lack of respect for referees.

"That's not to say that isn't also the case in CONIFA games - the players in our tournament still have those traits.

"But it would be nice that, instead of it being ignored and therefore in a way condoned, it shouldn't necessarily cost someone their chance to play at this tournament, if they just lose their cool."

CONFIFA's Asia President Jens Jockel also supports the introduction of the green card.

"We have had some minor problems in the past, with some red cards at the end of a game - mostly when teams realised they can't keep up and find themselves losing heavily with 10 minutes left," he explained.

"It's a really good idea of how to sanction things that might not be worthy of a red card. More like personal mistakes - using swear words, disrespecting spectators and coaches and so on. It's a perfect way to find something in between."

Has the green card been used before?
Italian football bosses introduced green cards in the Serie B three years ago - but not to punish players.

It was shown for things that the referee deemed a player did well - presented to players when they performed an act of fair play - or "acts of virtue" on the field of play.

The idea had previously been adopted in the Italian youth leagues as a trial, but chiefs in the Italian hierarchy believed it would have great effect on the senior game.

By receiving a green card, the players received no on-pitch recognition, but their names were noted and a list of the "most correct" players compiled at the end of the season.

Will we see it in English football? "

Covstu

I really don't get this one, surely the yellow is the caution. If your getting sent off but allowed to replace then what has that individual done? if he should be sent of the pitch then surely that's a red. Unnecessary complication in my book.

I thought green was going to be nice. Well done player, that was a lovely tackle!

Otis

"
A referee has shown football's first ever green card to discipline a player in the CONFIFA World Cup.

The card, used as a disciplinary measure between the yellow and red cards, was shown to a player at the tournament held in London.

The CONFIFA tournament for non-FIFA affiliated teams was played in non-league grounds in London and became the first competition to include the green card.

It was issued by referee Raymond Mashamba twice in a match between Padania and Tuvalu.

What happens when a player is shown a green card?
CONIFA rules state that "a player who receives a green card must leave the field of play immediately, but can be replaced if his team have not used all of their substitutes.

A player receiving a green card is not excluded from his team's next match."

What is it used for and what has been said about it?
The tournament's organiser Paul Watson told Sky Sports: "We'd really like to clamp down on the dissent problem. Football has a problem with the lack of respect for referees.

"That's not to say that isn't also the case in CONIFA games - the players in our tournament still have those traits.

"But it would be nice that, instead of it being ignored and therefore in a way condoned, it shouldn't necessarily cost someone their chance to play at this tournament, if they just lose their cool."

CONFIFA's Asia President Jens Jockel also supports the introduction of the green card.

"We have had some minor problems in the past, with some red cards at the end of a game - mostly when teams realised they can't keep up and find themselves losing heavily with 10 minutes left," he explained.

"It's a really good idea of how to sanction things that might not be worthy of a red card. More like personal mistakes - using swear words, disrespecting spectators and coaches and so on. It's a perfect way to find something in between."

Has the green card been used before?
Italian football bosses introduced green cards in the Serie B three years ago - but not to punish players.

It was shown for things that the referee deemed a player did well - presented to players when they performed an act of fair play - or "acts of virtue" on the field of play.

The idea had previously been adopted in the Italian youth leagues as a trial, but chiefs in the Italian hierarchy believed it would have great effect on the senior game.

By receiving a green card, the players received no on-pitch recognition, but their names were noted and a list of the "most correct" players compiled at the end of the season.

Will we see it in English football? "
Cheers for that. It says a player needs to leave the field immediately, but doesn't say how long for. Guessing it means the rest of the match?

vow

Cheers for that. It says a player needs to leave the field immediately, but doesn't say how long for. Guessing it means the rest of the match?
Yes, but if their are any subs left, he can be subbed.

Gazolba

I think if players are booked, instead of "collecting" the points over a season, just 'sin-bin' them for 15 minutes. A lot could happen in those 15 minutes, probably something the player might feel guilty about allowing to happen because he's not on the pitch. Still keep the red card for obvious needs though. This works well in rugby. They're off for 10 minutes but the game is shorter.
A good idea. I've always thought the penalty should be in the game where the infraction occurs, not in subsequent games.
But what happens with fouls that occur in the last 15 minutes of a game?

Houchens Head

A good idea. I've always thought the penalty should be in the game where the infraction occurs, not in subsequent games.
But what happens with fouls that occur in the last 15 minutes of a game?
Good point Gazolba. I hadn't thought about that. But an easy solution would be that if a player is "sin binned" with, say only 6 minutes left of play, then the unused minutes are carried over to the start of the next game, i.e. he doesn't come onto the field of play until the time has been served. Not sure what the outcome of this is in Rugby but I'm sure someone will tell us. ;)

Otis

Good point Gazolba. I hadn't thought about that. But an easy solution would be that if a player is "sin binned" with, say only 6 minutes left of play, then the unused minutes are carried over to the start of the next game, i.e. he doesn't come onto the field of play until the time has been served. Not sure what the outcome of this is in Rugby but I'm sure someone will tell us. ;)
If it carried on into the next game that would mean the player wouldn't then get picked for the next game. No team is going to go into a match with just 10 men, unless it was just 1 minute or so, but then it would be a bit farcical really.

I like the idea though, now I have finally read the article.

Houchens Head

If it carried on into the next game that would mean the player wouldn't then get picked for the next game. No team is going to go into a match with just 10 men, unless it was just 1 minute or so, but then it would be a bit farcical really.

I like the idea though, now I have finally read the article.
And what if the sin-binned player was your best man in the team? Wouldn't it be worth playing without him for a few minutes at the start of a game? I know I would if I were a manager. You would have to treat it as if he had just got a knock and was off the pitch for treatment. There's always ways and means around a problem.

ccfcway

we don't half make things complicated sometimes. Just have a 10 min sin bin for a yellow card and sendings off stay as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread