Great article - Mowbray (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Interesting?

The fans crave a new era. Wasps having acquired the Ricoh Arena, Coventry are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with the local rugby club involved and training facilities attached, inside the ring-road within four to five years.

Brighton Sky Blue

Best of luck to him in achieving what he hopes to achieve, if someone actually succeeds here they won't be forgotten for it.

dancers lance

inside the ring road ?
Of course? by all accounts it will be on the swimming baths site with an attaching ping pong court, darts room and chess booth.

Glen

Best speach from a manager ever but sisu will destroy him. I hope he gives it to them and gets what we all deserve championship football

J

Jack Griffin

Interesting?

The fans crave a new era. Wasps having acquired the Ricoh Arena, Coventry are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with the local rugby club involved and training facilities attached, inside the ring-road within four to five years.

Where did he get that from? Doesn't seem possible TBH.

Otis

Not possible. Anything but possible.

I think the word we are looking for is impossible.

Otis

I tweeted back to Henry Winter querying inside ring road location, pointing out Highfield Rd was outside ring road!

If it's inside the ring road we must be quitting the football league and professional football and setting up a 5 a side team instead.

NorthernWisdom

If it's inside the ring road we must be quitting the football league and professional football and setting up a 5 a side team instead.

If it did end up inside the ring road, they'd be Gods.

When it doesn't, they'd be madmen if they claimed that.

Must be a crazed reporter, surely. Even SISU have never claimed that!

J

Jack Griffin

Well Mr Winter replied..

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 50m50 minutes ago
Tony Mowbray vows to reignite Coventry City with passion, honesty and a blend of romance and realism #skyblues http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nesty-and-a-blend-of-romance-and-realism.html

Jack Griffin ‏@Jack_Griffin 19m19 minutes ago
@henrywinter Hard to believe a stadium could be built inside Coventry Ring Road, Highfield Rd was outside. Please check your facts.

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 25s26 seconds ago
@Jack_Griffin that's what club saying today

..so I should think Simon Gilbert & the SBT should follow this up immediately if not sooner with all & sundry.

Otis

Even if it were possible, a football stadium in the middle of the city centre would ground all the traffic to a complete standstill.

J

Jack Griffin

However, all change again.. shall not hang any hopes on it.

Otis

tbf, who'd care.

We'd all get the bus, train, wherever, could all drink down Far Gosford Street again... who'd need to drive there!

I think an awful lot of people would care. It would stop the city of Coventry from functioning and operating.

It is just a ridiculous notion, so someone, somewhere has their wires crossed.

Otis

Millenium Stadium in Cardiff works perfectly fine, right in the very centre of the city.

Does it?

i'm sure I've heard people say it is an absolute nightmare to get to. I recall England rugby fans saying it was taking them up to 4 hours to get to the ground from a reasonably short distance away.

Have never been myself so can only go on what some people have said.

It wouldn't work here. The ring road would grind to a halt. Ambulances, police cars and fire engines wouldn't get through anywhere and people wouldn't be able to get to the train station or delivery vehicles to businesses.

It would be a total nightmare.

Otis

Yup.

Busy, but that's kind of the point. And yep, I used to work directly outside it on Six Nations days, and christ knows who took four hours to get to it unless popping over from Coventry!

These were rugby fans going to the Wales v England match. They were interviewing fans before the game on the Friday night and even local Welsh people were saying it was a nightmare on a Firday night and I am pretty sure I remember a few saying you needed to be in Cardiff a good 2 hours before the game to make the match or you had no chance.

This is just what I remember. Anyway, not going to argue over it. I have no idea about the situation in Cardiff. Having lived here all my lfe though and seen the traffic on the ring road and leading into the city centre, I can only say yet again it simply wouldn't work and would be a disaster.

It ain't going to happen though anyway, is it!!

Calista

I love this article about Mowbray and the way he describes his ambition, and his passion for the game and attacking football. If the words translate into action, I may find my love for the club reignited.

But I’m baffled by the “ring road” debate. The article says “Coventry officials said on Tuesday that they are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with training facilities attached, hoping for it to be “within eight miles of the city centre” and “within four to five years”.

I can see no reference to the ring road, so why does post No. 2 on this thread mention it?

8 miles from the city centre could be past Nuneaton, on the edge of Birmingham or nearly in Rugby.

Otis

I love this article about Mowbray and the way he describes his ambition, and his passion for the game and attacking football. If the words translate into action, I may find my love for the club reignited.

But I’m baffled by the “ring road” debate. The article says “Coventry officials said on Tuesday that they are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with training facilities attached, hoping for it to be “within eight miles of the city centre” and “within four to five years”.

I can see no reference to the ring road, so why does post No. 2 on this thread mention it?

8 miles from the city centre could be past Nuneaton, on the edge of Birmingham or nearly in Rugby.

Oh what a mouthwatering prospect!! :(

NorthernWisdom

Ah, the beauty of online!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Its been edited, the quote in post #2 was definitely correct at the time, it said.

'The fans crave a new era. Wasps having acquired the Ricoh Arena, Coventry are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with the local rugby club involved and training facilities attached, inside the ring-road within four to five years.'

covmark

Its been edited, the quote in post #2 was definitely correct at the time, it said.

'The fans crave a new era. Wasps having acquired the Ricoh Arena, Coventry are looking to build a new stadium, a sporting complex with the local rugby club involved and training facilities attached, inside the ring-road within four to five years.'

Ahhh the wonders of the edit.

Users who are viewing this thread