Gout (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Feel your pain, Pete. I had gout a few years back. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (or ex-missus!). Incredibly painful! The slightest touch from anything hurt like a bitch! I couldn't even take the weight of a bed sheet! It hurt that much! Thank Christ I've never had it again since. Believe me, it does go eventually.

I feel you. I got gout in lockdown due to increased drinking, less exercise and more crappy food. I'm not even that old haha.

I had a call with the doctor and they said change the diet and pop ibuprofen the second you feel it coming on. To be fair it's not been that bad and ibuprofen really does help a LOT.

Hope you get through it

I got it twice a year for two years then the doc put me on Allopurinol, 1 tablet a day, not had it since 2019. It's excruciating pain so I know how you feel.

Sky Blue Pete

On 200g of alupirinol a day. Holds it at bay but get it about twice a year. Naproxen takes about 36 Hours to kick in

Covrock

Had it years ago in my big toe. It frigging hurt. As I've got older, get it 2/3 times a year starts off in my foot and goes to my knee. When I feel it coming on pop the naproxen.

Hertsccfc

Had it twice a few years in my big toe and dread it coming back. Last time took weeks to get over it. Someone I know suggested cherries help and whenever I feel it might be coming back i have some cherries or cherry juice and so far it hasn't come back. I think you can also get cherry concentrate tablets.

vow

All that good living, Pete.

Bugsy

Late to the party

Nout funny about gout

eastwoodsdustman

Had it years ago in my big toe. It frigging hurt. As I've got older, get it 2/3 times a year starts off in my foot and goes to my knee. When I feel it coming on pop the naproxen.
I had it a few years back and saved some naproxen in case and take a couple if I feel it coming on. I’ve managed to work out what food triggers it so just avoid eating too much pastry and cake now.

Sky Blue Pete

I had it a few years back and saved some naproxen in case and take a couple if I feel it coming on. I’ve managed to work out what food triggers it so just avoid eating too much pastry and cake now.
It’s not too bad but on the heel means I just can’t walk or get up or downstairs - pretty annoying

shmmeee

Seems like the thread.

Since I’ve moved into my parents during lockdown and have been living on my bed and eating shite (in case that’s relevant), I’ve been getting really bad pains come and go in my left knee and seem to get worse with certain junk foods. I’ve just put it down to general bad health, but reading this makes me wonder if it’s gout. How do you know?

Sky Blue Pete

Seems like the thread.

Since I’ve moved into my parents during lockdown and have been living on my bed and eating shite (in case that’s relevant), I’ve been getting really bad pains come and go in my left knee and seem to get worse with certain junk foods. I’ve just put it down to general bad health, but reading this makes me wonder if it’s gout. How do you know?
Symptom diagnosed mainly. You can do a blood test when you have symptoms and it can show a high level of Uric acid in the blood

It's defintely certain foods, and I bet it differs from person to person. My worst flares were red wine or port (it was Christmas when it turned up surprise surprise), but I notice the twinges after too much sugar too. So I just limit those and it's been ok. Still get the twinges a little, but that's because I'm hammering rum and ale which are reported to be commons triggers too. As long as I can keep it just on the verge and not have to give up booze and the occasional Greggs, I'm all good.

Hertsccfc

Seems like the thread.

From my experience if it's gout it's ridiculously painful and that's just in a toe. I can't imagine what it would be like in a knee.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My brother suffers with gout he says drinking cherry juice helps

Houchens Head

I suffer badly from leg cramp throughout the night. I wake at least 2 or 3 times in bloody agony! Can't move my leg for what seems ages. I have to get up and walk around for a while. Then go back to kip and hope it goes away. I seem to have a week or so of really bad bouts and then it eases for a couple of weeks. It can be either leg, from, strangely, my shin down to my ankles and feet. I'm getting really pissed off with it now, but I just put it down to my age these days.

eastwoodsdustman

I suffer badly from leg cramp throughout the night. I wake at least 2 or 3 times in bloody agony! Can't move my leg for what seems ages. I have to get up and walk around for a while. Then go back to kip and hope it goes away. I seem to have a week or so of really bad bouts and then it eases for a couple of weeks. It can be either leg, from, strangely, my shin down to my ankles and feet. I'm getting really pissed off with it now, but I just put it down to my age these days.
My mum was getting this. I use SIS electrolyte tablets in my water when I go cycling to stop cramp and I gave her some to try. she had a couple and it stopped it so you could try them. They’re about £5 or £6 from Tesco’s or online for a tube but you could halve them to make them last longer.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

My mum was getting this. I use SIS electrolyte tablets in my water when I go cycling to stop cramp and I gave her some to try. she had a couple and it stopped it so you could try them. They’re about £5 or £6 from Tesco’s or online for a tube but you could halve them to make them last longer.
Got excited when I read this post. However, when I checked on the Boots site, yes, they sell them, but they come with a warning.....
Warning: "Please consult a doctor or pharmacist before use if you have diabetes, or are on a low sodium or potassium diet. DO NOT USE if you have intestinal obstruction or problems with your liver or kidney function."
That pretty much buggers it for me. I'm diabetic and also have intestinal problems for which I take Omeprazole every day and will do for the rest of my natural. Thanks anyway E.D.

eastwoodsdustman

Got excited when I read this post. However, when I checked on the Boots site, yes, they sell them, but they come with a warning.....
Warning: "Please consult a doctor or pharmacist before use if you have diabetes, or are on a low sodium or potassium diet. DO NOT USE if you have intestinal obstruction or problems with your liver or kidney function."
That pretty much buggers it for me. I'm diabetic and also have intestinal problems for which I take Omeprazole every day and will do for the rest of my natural. Thanks anyway E.D.
Bugger. Worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread