Gosford Street - Coventry (1 Viewer)

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I went for a meal at Habibi a few days back and when walking up towards the old Colin Campbell I had a 'memory' of a pub that I thought used to be somewhere along that street. Can anyone tell me if i'm making things up or was there a building (presumably now demolished) somewhere along the stretch that housed a pub? I would presume it was around the area that the national tyres building is in, before the Morris building but not so far down as being Far Gosford Street. I would be thinking that this building stood in the 90's/2000's. Either that or was there a pub in one of the buildings that is still there?

andy86

There was a pub there, it got demolished to make way for the university multi story car park.

Can’t remember the name, but i’m sure it had a picture of Che Guevara on the wall..?

Nick

Administrator
There was a pub there, it got demolished to make way for the university multi story car park.

Can’t remember the name, but i’m sure it had a picture of Che Guevara on the wall..?
Oh yeah I remember that now because of the wall

fernandopartridge

I went for a meal at Habibi a few days back and when walking up towards the old Colin Campbell I had a 'memory' of a pub that I thought used to be somewhere along that street. Can anyone tell me if i'm making things up or was there a building (presumably now demolished) somewhere along the stretch that housed a pub? I would presume it was around the area that the national tyres building is in, before the Morris building but not so far down as being Far Gosford Street. I would be thinking that this building stood in the 90's/2000's. Either that or was there a pub in one of the buildings that is still there?

Yes, the Peacock was where the entrance to the university multi-storey car park is now. It was demolished about 10 years ago.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Yes, the Peacock was where the entrance to the university multi-storey car park is now. It was demolished about 10 years ago.

Thank you! I was starting to think i'd somehow imagined it ever existing as i couldn't find anything online. I moved away from Cov around the same time and only recently came back which might be why its all a bit hazy.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Was it run by an Irish family? ( yours ? ) I think it was around 75 when I was there 1 or 2 times.
They are an Irish family but I think they had the pub a bit later
Their names were Bridie and Robert

hill83

Are we talking about this place? You can view old images on google street view. This was in 2008. Used to go in there on the way home from Scholars sometimes when I didn't want the night to end. Absolute mayhem.

FGYDfLz.jpg

martcov

They are an Irish family but I think they had the pub a bit later
Their names were Bridie and Robert

I cannot remember exactly when I was there, but I think they had a tricolour on the wall. We used to on the way to somewhere else. We used to meet at the Hare and Hounds.. I think.. memory going now.

bringbackrattles

The Peacock was a well known pub in the 60's and 70's. Next door was the social security offices. Also on Monday mornings if you worked on the buildings, you'd get picked up outside the pub, and many signed on !

RedSalmon

Are we talking about this place? You can view old images on google street view. This was in 2008. Used to go in there on the way home from Scholars sometimes when I didn't want the night to end. Absolute mayhem.

FGYDfLz.jpg

Did Bones go there too?

King of the Lesbians

Jeez. I remember the Peacock. Had many, many lock-ins at that place.
Juke box crammed full of Pogues, Dubliners, Housemartins etc.
Was working at the poly at the time in r-block (everything was known by block back in the day) and the Peacock was also know as p-block due to the amount of lunchtime 'meetings' held there.
Owner was like a stocky bobby ball iirc.

Nick

Administrator
What's Gringos now?

Remember going in there on an all dayer once and was entertained by undoing the lids on the salt and watching the students have to eat salty burgers.

rondog1973

Jeez. I remember the Peacock. Had many, many lock-ins at that place.
Juke box crammed full of Pogues, Dubliners, Housemartins etc.
Was working at the poly at the time in r-block (everything was known by block back in the day) and the Peacock was also know as p-block due to the amount of lunchtime 'meetings' held there.
Owner was like a stocky bobby ball iirc.
Sounds like the guy who had the Hand & Heart in the mid 90's

hill83

What's Gringos now?

Remember going in there on an all dayer once and was entertained by undoing the lids on the salt and watching the students have to eat salty burgers.

A student bar called Quids In. Have a guess how much it is to get in?
Funnily enough I went there a few months back. We got in on my mates student card. 10 chas & daves in a row on the jukebox and a few snakebites.

Nick

Administrator
A student bar called Quids In. Have a guess how much it is to get in?
Funnily enough I went there a few months back. We got in on my mates student card. 10 chas & daves in a row on the jukebox and a few snakebites.

If you had put Aswad on it would have been a better shout but you can't argue with the snakebites!

Is that kebab shop next door or one down still there?

Si80

Hope and Anchor in Whitefriars Street and the Greyhound in Much Park Street. Two boozers that got pulled down in the name of progress.

Fucking heart breaking!!!
My office is now on the bit of land where the Greyhound was. Rumour has it that the landlord got wind that the site was being looked at for development and so bought the pub off whoever owned it at the time (previous owner oblivious to development inbound).

New owner made a mint when we bought it off them.

riyadhfanclub

Landlord was John Bradley, wife eve, lovely bacon sarnie after our Sunday game. Usually a win of course.

Attachments

• peacock team.jpg
    peacock team.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread