Going on Holiday Thread (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Dark nights are drawing in, getting cold and rainy so we do as most couples do and start looking for places to go on hols next year!

Got two young kids and dislike package holidays so we normally book a letting somewhere and get flights etc separately. usually works out cheaper and gives us freedom to come and go as we please.

Usually the check list is based on two things:
1) Family friendly so restaurants, beach etc
2) Good roads for my bike and preferably hills!

Looking at Tenerife as I have never been but conscious that we don't book directly in the 'British Tourist Trap' areas, anyone been and can recommend areas to look?
We went to Mallorca (pollenca) a few years back and it was laid back, quiet and the shops were not the typical tacky shops you get, looking for somewhere similar!

Anyone else going anywhere nice!?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Considered Greece / Crete?

There's a nice little town called Sissi which is far enough away from Hersonissos and Malia. Plenty of hills and a large enough island to hire a car for a few days and drive around.

SIR ERNIE

Algarve is the place to go. Rent a villa at Vale do Lobo or anywhere along the coast. Fabulous restaurants everywhere, great beaches, excellent supermarkets for self-catering, world class golf.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Also going back to a place in Wales called Rhosneigr. Beautiful place

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Sissie sounds far too much like Sisu for any City fan's liking.

It Greek it's actually spelt 'Sisi' - the English variant is Sissi as far as I am aware... But that's exactly why I added another S!

I went there a few years back and it's a small harbour town. It's well worth hiring a car to go to the pink beach on the other side of the island, and the centre is full of hills for biking (with a few olive groves dotted around). And also Greek ruins. Really recommend it, but it is quiet! The nearest town is Malia 10 mins away if you really wanted a nightlife fix, but failing that a little further is Hersonissos which is a bit more relaxed.

If you felt like it, you could also get a day trip to Santorini - the boat is pretty pricey, but it's cheaper than staying on the island!

SBAndy

Algarve is the place to go. Rent a villa at Vale do Lobo or anywhere along the coast. Fabulous restaurants everywhere, great beaches, excellent supermarkets for self-catering, world class golf.

Only a couple of weeks back from Quinta do Lago. Fantastic place, would definitely go again but with the golf and drinking it set me back about £1200 for a weekend!

SIR ERNIE

Only a couple of weeks back from Quinta do Lago. Fantastic place, would definitely go again but with the golf and drinking it set me back about £1200 for a weekend!

Yes the golf is expensive. QdL South is a beast of a course. Los Pinheiros is beautiful and the Val do Lobo courses. Where did you play?

We'll be in Barbados for Christmas, taking my clubs and can't wait.

Terry Gibson's perm

Off to centre Paris in a couple of weeks as the one in Woburn messed up the school holidays and lowered the price for the week Nuneatons kids are off so we got the lodge for just £800 it was way over 1k the week before.

Considering driving to northern Italy next year to see some family

Covstu

Yes the golf is expensive. QdL South is a beast of a course. Los Pinheiros is beautiful and the Val do Lobo courses. Where did you play?

Been to Villamora about 5 times, its a great setup. Really enjoyed the Old Course when I was there, definitely worth paying a few quid more but your money does vanish at nights. £1k weekend as a minimum!!

skybluetony176

Costa Blanca south is pretty good if you like bike riding. The terrain is varied so there’s something for everyone. Lots of flat plains in the farming areas with lots of irrigation canals for riding along (typically a service road at the side of them where public access is allowed), never too far away from a good size hill or mountain if that’s more your thing, or if off road is more what you’re looking for that’s also available. I go there a fair bit and there’s always lots of cyclists around. A few national parks, especially around the salt lakes. Loads of beaches, a few water parks and lots of historical places. It’s much more than Benidorm (although that’s North). Can get humid in the highs of summer though but I’ve been there in November and February before and it’s been shorts and T shirt weather although it can be a bit hit and miss. It has its own microclimate so can be much warmer than places further south in Spain during the winter months.

Sick Boy

Off to centre Paris in a couple of weeks as the one in Woburn messed up the school holidays and lowered the price for the week Nuneatons kids are off so we got the lodge for just £800 it was way over 1k the week before.

Considering driving to northern Italy next year to see some family

That's the family near Treviso isn't it? My girlfriend is from a small village near Belluno, I think it's the same other side of a mountain to where your family are from?

I've done the drive a couple of times, it's not too bad but you have to watch out for speed cameras now on the Italian motorways and their erratic motorway driving in general.

Back on topic, looking at going over to Dublin for my bday in December and Ibiza for a wedding next April.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's the family near Treviso isn't it? My girlfriend is from a small village near Belluno, I think it's the same other side of a mountain to where your family are from?

I've done the drive a couple of times, it's not too bad but you have to watch out for speed cameras now on the Italian motorways and their erratic motorway driving in general.

Back on topic, looking at going over to Dublin for my bday in December and Ibiza for a wedding next April.

That is correct good memory, my parents and my aunt and uncle have just come back from a few days there and my son is desperate to go but with my daughters issues we are not sure she will go on a plane again when she flew to the us she was smaller and easier to handle.

I haven’t driven in Italy but have driven in France Belgium and Holland but I think they would only be a gentle warm up in comparison. Have you driven to Italy or do you always fly.

Marty

I'm looking at going away next Christmas, 4 weeks Australia, Sydney, Uluru, Great barrier Reef. etc. Then Singapore/Thailand or Bali followed by Japan and China for a week each on the way back. 49 days with a budget off £150 a pay, that's without flights and accommodation.

My uncle is a pilot at Virgin so hopefully I can get some cheap flights and plan on staying in hostels in Oz to keep the costs down, but then going slightly up market in Asia.

Sick Boy

That is correct good memory, my parents and my aunt and uncle have just come back from a few days there and my son is desperate to go but with my daughters issues we are not sure she will go on a plane again when she flew to the us she was smaller and easier to handle.

I haven’t driven in Italy but have driven in France Belgium and Holland but I think they would only be a gentle warm up in comparison. Have you driven to Italy or do you always fly.

When I moved over there before I drove there and back a couple of times, which wasn't too bad but did it in one go with a stop for a couple of hours. Ideally I would look at booking one of those cheap hotels in France to break the journey down.

If you take your time in Italy you'll be fine but the autostrada you'd take is full of lorries, which means it can get pretty busy. Tailgating is part of life, you just have to not look in your mirror. I've been a passenger with my girlfriend doing 160km ph while she's been shouting/talking down the phone while being inches from the car infront's bumper.

I once drove from Verona to Palermo, which probably added a few extra greys. :)

I'm moving back over there in the new year so will have to rediscover my inner-Italian driver again.

clint van damme

I'm looking at going away next Christmas, 4 weeks Australia, Sydney, Uluru, Great barrier Reef. etc. Then Singapore/Thailand or Bali followed by Japan and China for a week each on the way back. 49 days with a budget off £150 a pay, that's without flights and accommodation.

My uncle is a pilot at Virgin so hopefully I can get some cheap flights and plan on staying in hostels in Oz to keep the costs down, but then going slightly up market in Asia.

is that £150 a day just for you? (plan on doing something similar in a few years).

Marty

is that £150 a day just for you? (plan on doing something similar in a few years).

Yeah, I plan on going on my own, Australia is quite expensive, looking at £200+ to climb the Sydney harbour bridge, learning to surf at Bondi beach is £100+, £300 for Uluru. Asia is relatively cheap so it should balance out.

Currently racking up the overtime to get it paid for.

SBAndy

Played QdL South, Laranjal and Vale do Lobo. Particularly impressed with QdL South, it was beautiful (and it helped that I played well!).

Was in Barbados this April and played a round at Sandy Lane. Christ that was pricey. Played terribly that day. Probably because I played with borrowed clubs.

clint van damme

Yeah, I plan on going on my own, Australia is quite expensive, looking at £200+ to climb the Sydney harbour bridge, learning to surf at Bondi beach is £100+, £300 for Uluru. Asia is relatively cheap so it should balance out.

Wouldn't bother with Australia myself but the wife wants to go and if you get that near may as well visit.
Focus will be more on Asia.
You not bothering with New Zealand?

Marty

Wouldn't bother with Australia myself but the wife wants to go and if you get that near may as well visit.
Focus will be more on Asia.
You not bothering with New Zealand?

I'm not sure why but New Zealand has never been that appealing to me.

ovduk78

Going to Valencia next month for the motogp with my brother and friend, my friend has terminal cancer and I asked him which motogp he wanted to go to and he chose Valencia. Really looking forward to it.
Going skiing in France with my son in January, no wife this time as she is staying home to look after our ageing springer who is too old to put into kennels. She hasn't totally been excluded as she is our taxi to and from Edinburgh airport.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Two places I highly recommend for a great holiday. Kefalonia (Greece) or Lake Garda (Italy). Neither was full of Brit holiday makers when we were there. Okay, so Lake Garda had a lot of Germans there, but they were friendly enough! I would 100% NEVER go to Portugal again! A right dump!

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Remember you can do some things cheaper in Asia, too.

Example is the surfing - it's so much cheaper in Bali and it isn't all that in Bondi. The waves are class, but not more so than Bondi, and you'll be hated by the 'regulars'. I know because I used to 'attempt' surfing when I lived there! Alternatively, Manly or the North Shores are cheaper for surfing and just as good waves.

Winny the Bish

Heading to Venice in November with the Mrs for my birthday. Anyone have any tips for us?

Heard that the centre can be a nightmare for expensive tourist traps.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Heading to Venice in November with the Mrs for my birthday. Anyone have any tips for us?

Avoid the squares and read the small print regarding cover charge!

There's loads of cafes and restaurants tucked away in the streets / alleyways which are reasonably priced.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Take a snorkel. I hear there's a lot of flooded streets there.

ajsccfc

Two places I highly recommend for a great holiday. Kefalonia (Greece) or Lake Garda (Italy). Neither was full of Brit holiday makers when we were there. Okay, so Lake Garda had a lot of Germans there, but they were friendly enough! I would 100% NEVER go to Portugal again! A right dump!

+1 for Lake Garda. Stayed in Malcesine, had little trips to Limone across the lake and Verona further out, would have happily stayed forever

Marty

Remember you can do some things cheaper in Asia, too.

Example is the surfing - it's so much cheaper in Bali and it isn't all that in Bondi. The waves are class, but not more so than Bondi, and you'll be hated by the 'regulars'. I know because I used to 'attempt' surfing when I lived there! Alternatively, Manly or the North Shores are cheaper for surfing and just as good waves.

I'll defo check that out, It's more the idea of learning at the iconic Bondi beach. Just had a quick look and it's far cheaper to learn at the gold coast area then around Bondi. I'm sure the Asian countries will be even cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread