God Save The Queen (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

anyone else think its time we changed the national anthem ?

Only 77% of the population in the last census said they had a religion and many are not royalists

Surely land of hope and glory should be our anthem ?

Otis

Only 77% of the population in the last census said they had a religion and many are not royalists

Of course. A different tune could also get anti monarchy vote too. I know a lot of people who won't stand for the national anthem because they are not royalists.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

cloughie

Nope, it is the 'tune' I have grown up with and it is the tune known around the world of the UK

England possible but I think of our troops around the world serving this country and they are always proud to respect the national anthem

SkyblueBazza

agree cloughie, you cannot just change it!!!

Not an anti-Royalist personally by can see their point of view. Maybe Land Of Hope & Glory as the National Anthem would unite settlers as well as indigenous populations...& God Save The King/Queen reserved for Commonwealth & specifically Royal occasions?

Colonel Mustard

LOHAG isn't exactly secular, but certainly rousing stuff. The current anthem is weak as can be.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Always hated the National Anthem. It's so bloody naff! The Anthem of a country should be for, and about the country, not just for one person!

hemelsky

If we are to have "God save the Queen" as our national anthem could we change it to the Sex Pistols version instead?

LastGarrison

Personally, I like GSTQ but I see it as the British national anthem and I think LOHAG or even Jeruselum should be adopted as purely the English national anthem.

Otis

Wasn't there a petition a few years ago to make "Gold" by Spandau Ballet the National Anthem?

Nope,you're getting confused. There was a petition to make the Queen wear gold spandex while watching the National Ballet.

Covstu

This is like saying we are going to change the union jack colours as its not welcoming to new comers, it just cant happen. Yes its dull but its part of our heritage.

WillieStanley

I've nothing against the tune it's the words I can't stand. I'm completely republican and refuse to acknowlege it as my anthem.

Brighton Sky Blue

Of course. A different tune could also get anti monarchy vote too. I know a lot of people who won't stand for the national anthem because they are not royalists.

Indeed, I refuse to sing about devotion for a figurehead I have no respect for. I want an anthem to be about my country, not some toff whose surname entitles them to rule it on that basis alone.

LastGarrison

I like how people speak out about the Queen part of the National Anthem (which is fair enough) but no-one mentions the God part.

In a Christian country where, I would imagine, religion is on the wane should we also be taking out the religious conntations?

ccfcway

I like how people speak out about the Queen part of the National Anthem (which is fair enough) but no-one mentions the God part.

In a Christian country where, I would imagine, religion is on the wane should we also be taking out the religious conntations?

my exact point

Users who are viewing this thread