Goals from midfield/Shipley (1 Viewer)

larry_david

Shipley 2 in 2, Bayliss 2 in 2, Kelly scored the other night. All of a sudden goals from all over the pitch.

Gotta say Shipley has come back from his rest in good form. I slated him on here a few weeks ago for bottling every tackle but he's come back with a few assists, a few goals and yer, keep it up!

Cavan O'Doherty

Yes the rest seems to have done him the world of good. He doesn’t do anything spectacular but he’s starting to pop up when it’s needed. Always puts in 100% which is all you can ask.

pastythegreat

Yes, the 1st goal today was made completely by the midfield. Quick free kick from Doyle, cross from Shipley and goal from Bayliss. Good to see. Defenders need to chip in too now in the run in! 4 games left (hopefully)And we need as many goals as possible

pusbccfc

Shipley has the perfect balance of being a very decent player but also hard working. It's surprising a lot of us how technically gifted he actually is.

Adge

We were actually having this debate in the boozer before yesterday’s game. Bayliss has got the world at his feet at the minute and for me is the better of the 2. Shipley is a bit limited so I don’t think he will go as far. Wouldn’t be the first though to prove me wrong if he does.

luwalla

Yeah noticeable lift from midfield. I too gave Shipley a bit of hard time before his rest, which seems to have done the job, but he has come back better. Still bottles too many tackles for me but we all know that gets forgiven when the goals go in ;)

Mucca Mad Boys

Shipley has the perfect balance of being a very decent player but also hard working. It's surprising a lot of us how technically gifted he actually is.

His turn and finish v Lincoln really was a piece of quality skill! Shipley also has quite a decent variety of goals scored — I rated him from the Blackburn game (despite him attracting criticism).

I’m feeling a lot more confident about our chances next season with Jones and Andreu back too. If the Telegraph is right, and Bayliss’ contract is 2019 with a 1yr extension, I’m confident we’ll keep him over this summer.

stupot07

Still only 1 goal from the defence all season, but really pleasing to see thr midfield start to contribute. Bayliss's in particular, a midfielder making a run beyond the strikers is something we've missed for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Still only 1 goal from the defence all season, but really pleasing to see thr midfield start to contribute. Bayliss's in particular, a midfielder making a run beyond the strikers is something we've missed for a long time.

Indeed, and even that goal came in Game 2. Our general lack of goals from set pieces has definitely held us back a bit. Even with the goals from midfield in this latest stretch, it is something of a ‘goal glut’ in comparison to most of the season. Hopefully it continues Saturday and in the playoffs.

steve82

40 league goals from strikers
22 league goals from midfield
1 league goal from defence
1 OG. *

Says to me we’ve a issue at set piece delivery’s.

* JCH I believe credited the goal at Crewe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

1 OG. *

* JCH I believe credited the goal at Crewe

I think the problem is a bit deeper than the deliveries. I think we don’t really have anyone who really attacks the ball in the box. JCH has showed glimpses, so to has Davies. McDonald, Willis and Grimmer (among others), aren’t that aggressive. Luton were good that, their captain (and first goal scorer) was really aggressive in going for the ball.

steve82

I think the problem is a bit deeper than the deliveries. I think we don’t really have anyone who really attacks the ball in the box. JCH has showed glimpses, so to has Davies. McDonald, Willis and Grimmer (among others), aren’t that aggressive. Luton were good that, their captain (and first goal scorer) was really aggressive in going for the ball.

Agree with that, deliveries are a issue but with a lack of movement in the box to attack the ball they they become easily marked and danger cleared.

fatso

It’s amazing how good we can be, when the manager has kicked ass.
Why can’t the players motivate themselves like that every game?

Esoterica

Hardly any of our corners end up in a position to be attacked. The first half of the season Jones could barely beat the first man and lately most of Shipley's floaty efforts have sailed well past the back post. Even if you do get your head on one of those floaters it's gonna be tough to direct with power and precision - it doesn't take many weeks of that until you don't attack your position with quite as much effort as you would if you knew a whipped in cross was going to hit the zone 8 times out 10.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
1 OG. *

* JCH I believe credited the goal at Crewe.

I'm more than happy for our defenders to do their business at the other end of the pitch and not be writhin the goals :D

steve82

It’s amazing how good we can be, when the manager has kicked ass.
Why can’t the players motivate themselves like that every game?

It’s called L2. Players in this league have a degree of inconsistency it’s why few that do have the ability and footballing brain to play fail to play at a higher level.

steve82

I'm more than happy for our defenders to do their business at the other end of the pitch and not be writhin the goals :D

Very true...

Of course them stats only tell half a story, we’ve profited from a handful of goals from 2nd phases of play at set pieces.

Esoterica

A big part of these goals from midfield is that we are finally getting in behind the fullbacks and cutting the ball back to late arriving players - seems to have been a lot of side foots from the penalty spot/edge of the box in the last few weeks. The formation in midfield has a big part to play in that.

stupot07

That's fine....but I wonder how many more games we'd have won or gained a point from if we'd managed to pick up, had we managed to score more from set pieces, which could have been the difference from finishing in the play offs or gaining autos. A defender scoring the odd header from the corner doesn't mean they also can't defend well.

Just one example:
Accrington had 8 goals from defenders:
Connelly 2 ( both winners in 1-0 wins) 6 points gained
Hughes 4 ( 2 of which winners in 1-0 wins, also scored 1st in a 2-2 draw clawing one back from 2-0 down, 4th was in 4-0 win so can ignore that one) 7 points gained
Richards-Everton 1 (3-2 loss) 0 points
Johnson 1 (first in a 3-1 win) 3 points gained

So that's 13-16 points gained by the defenders scoring before you consider as a unit they have the best defensive record in the league.

In addition their defenders have also got 11 assists this season, but I can't be bothered to have a look at how many points they have contributed to.

I just don't get the 'I only care about defenders defending, not bothered about contributing to scoring goals'. Its a team game and we defend as a team and attack as a team.

Not aimed at you sw, just a general point as o know a few people have said the same this season.

Last edited:

wingy

Hardly any of our corners end up in a position to be attacked. The first half of the season Jones could barely beat the first man and lately most of Shipley's floaty efforts have sailed well past the back post. Even if you do get your head on one of those floaters it's gonna be tough to direct with power and precision - it doesn't take many weeks of that until you don't attack your position with quite as much effort as you would if you knew a whipped in cross was going to hit the zone 8 times out 10.
Seen it just once with Willis in the Stoke game.

Users who are viewing this thread