Goalkeepers (1 Viewer)

speedie87

Are we getting to a tipping point where keepers are actually getting worse year by year.

Watching fa youth cup final and the city keeper has just done a Karius. Premier league keepers now compared with mid 90,s is no comparison if you ask me

Schemichel
Flowers
Seaman
Bosnich
Martyn
Southall
Oggy

Better than
De gea
Loris
LENO
Alison
Ederson
Pickford

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In terms of goalkeeping ability I think the standard has dropped immensely, esp at top teams as due to the amount of possession they have they don't expect keepers to have much to do and concentrate far more on their ability regards distribution with a bit of shot stopping thrown in. I look at most supposedly 'top class' keepers and find them all pretty dodgy and relying on ref protection. Put them under pressure and most of them would concede a hatful IMO

Same goes for defenders - far fewer actually defenders now. CB are largely looked at for their ability to play the ball and pace to recover WHEN they make a mistake. Full-backs are looked at for their attacking qualities like crossing ability rather than more defensive ones like positioning.

Nick

Administrator
It's because gks are expected to be outfield players. Long gone are the days where they can just catch and block, they need to be a sweeper too.

Last edited:

covcity4life

whilst ball playing keepers can frustrate fans when make mistake it is a tactic that works and is reaping benefits. the sport is evolving and retaining possession is key, these goalies can now distribute to defenders rather than kick long and lose it.

teams with ball playing keepers tend to do well

barca-league champs and maybe euro
man city-could become back to back champs,nearest rival liverpool also has a ball playing keeper too
ajax-ball playing keeper,possible finalists in champs league
england-with pickford we amde semis of world cup and nations league
leeds-brought in casilla from madrid,narrowly missed out on autos,will be in playoffs.

as for other facets of goalkeeping i agree handling seems to be worse, perhaps as refs now whistle non stop so catching isnt as important as it once was as refs will always help keeper out. in same ways the sport devolves too unforuntley

SBAndy

whilst ball playing keepers can frustrate fans when make mistake it is a tactic that works and is reaping benefits. the sport is evolving and retaining possession is key, these goalies can now distribute to defenders rather than kick long and lose it.

teams with ball playing keepers tend to do well

barca-league champs and maybe euro
man city-could become back to back champs,nearest rival liverpool also has a ball playing keeper too
ajax-ball playing keeper,possible finalists in champs league
england-with pickford we amde semis of world cup and nations league
leeds-brought in casilla from madrid,narrowly missed out on autos,will be in playoffs.

as for other facets of goalkeeping i agree handling seems to be worse, perhaps as refs now whistle non stop so catching isnt as important as it once was as refs will always help keeper out. in same ways the sport devolves too unforuntley

Hold up, Kiko Casilla plays for Leeds?

Users who are viewing this thread