Gnabry. (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

their recruitment policy is an absolute shambles.

Had some talented youngsters on their books and constantly blocked their passage to the first team by signing people who weren't up to the job.

Defensively esp they sign a lot of distinctly average players (for the level they want to be at) and even star names like Ozil and Sanchez have been massively overpaid for what are essentially prima donna footballers who are only worth something to a dominant team, who arguably don't need them anyway. Spent years refusing to break their wage structure then when they finally did it was on players that they could've lived without.

A lot of their signings are players I'd expect to be signing for a team like Everton. So I find it no surprise that they're now closer to a team like Everton in terms of ability that a Liverpool or Man City.

fernandopartridge

Had some talented youngsters on their books and constantly blocked their passage to the first team by signing people who weren't up to the job.

Defensively esp they sign a lot of distinctly average players (for the level they want to be at) and even star names like Ozil and Sanchez have been massively overpaid for what are essentially prima donna footballers who are only worth something to a dominant team, who arguably don't need them anyway. Spent years refusing to break their wage structure then when they finally did it was on players that they could've lived without.

A lot of their signings are players I'd expect to be signing for a team like Everton. So I find it no surprise that they're now closer to a team like Everton in terms of ability that a Liverpool or Man City.
In the early Wenger years they picked up a lot of relative bargain foreign players, Petit, Viera, Anelka etc. They stuck to this policy even though it was clear that there were diminishing returns into the late 00s. Now they've tried to redress the balance but often just paid over the odds.

Ian1779

I don’t get the Ozil hate. He’s the best ball player in that team by a country mile. Wenger also managed to get the best 3 years of Sanchez’s career out of him. But I agree about a lot of their signings... just not good enough for the level they wanted to play at. They always had a certain style of playing under Wenger so when they were on TV you could guarantee goals at both ends!

Covstu

I don’t get the Ozil hate. He’s the best ball player in that team by a country mile. Wenger also managed to get the best 3 years of Sanchez’s career out of him. But I agree about a lot of their signings... just not good enough for the level they wanted to play at. They always had a certain style of playing under Wenger so when they were on TV you could guarantee goals at both ends!
Ozil has talent and was signed from a very good Madrid team but at the moment he is stealing a living like Bale is

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ozil has talent and was signed from a very good Madrid team but at the moment he is stealing a living like Bale is

When Arsenal signed him I'd only really seen him play for Germany and felt he was a good player, but the reports on him were that he had tons of ability but the heart of a mouse. When the going got tough he would hide and at times you may as well play with ten men. From what I've seen of him since I can only say that assessment was totally accurate.

Same with Sanchez. In a team that is on top, doing well he is an amazing player capable of destroying opposition. But once they fall below that he becomes much less effective and becomes sulky. At Barca and his early Arsenal days they were teams that were often dominant and he showed his ability. When Arsenal started to drop off from that slightly he wasn't having the impact, and more importantly didn't look that bothered about it. Same at Man U.

The point is that these are not players that will likely turn a game in your favour. They will take a game you'd almost certainly win anyway and turn it into a rout. And for me those aren't the players that should be your highest earners. Those should be the ones that can take a game you're struggling in and turn it around for you. Championships are won when you win games you don't play well in. Neither of these two are likely to make that happen because for all their ability they'll either hide away or sulk. And they won't care they're doing it.

wingy

Gnabry was quiet and Ineffective I thought .
Bayern really struggled with the weight of pass early on last night .
I think most of the analysis on those other players is accurate.
I just started this thread as I remember
Gnabry as a Precocious 17 yr old who seemed to find his way blocked.
And another player who's best apparent position was denied/coached out of him.

Users who are viewing this thread