Get real ! (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

Some supporters get all doom and gloom after a defeat or a draw at home against a worse team than us. FACT -- we are not going to win every match we play -- name one team that does. The important thing is that we win, or draw, more than we lose. This is happening now -- live in the NOW... the past has gone, the future is unknown. The fact is that Sky Blues are doing OK !!!!

Astute

Spot on VOR as usual.

I prefer us to be mid table and gaining points than one of the clubs that have just slipped.out of the top 6 and now struggling. Not exactly happy with the way we lost 2 points yesterday but at least the performance was there and still getting better.

Lord_Nampil

Some posters mentioned before the game that a draw wasn't a bad result, look back at Robins 13 league games as manager and you see we have got 21 points! Is that nearly 2 points a game?

sky_blue_up_north

I am still predicting mid table this season. We are 10 points off the play offs. That means those team have to drop 10 point and we need to gain 11 on them. Other teams are doing better than us, ie Bournemouth. Even at this stage I think that is a tough ask. Next season will be different and we should be challenging for automatic promotion. Our poor start as left us with far to much to do. We should go all out for the JPT, if we beat Sheff Utd we have a chance, with only Donny offering any danger.

Otis

Who's saying it's a bad result then? Must have missed that bit.

I am quite happy with the draw, having said I thought it would be a tough game.

An awful lot of people predicted a draw. Think most of us are fine with the point aren't we? Bit confused by the thread.

sky_blue_up_north

Yes we are doing OK. Were are doing win at home draw away in reverse.... do that from the start of the season you'll win the league. But we had such a bad start we were never going to make the play offs, but you can see a huge improvement in the sides over the last few weeks. We'll play a lot worst than yesterday and win.

coundonskyblue

I'm not negative about a draw. I, like most others was gutted to concede right at the end but thats football.

I would question your statement of "the Sky Blues are doing ok", is 15th in the 3rd division ok? Is that acceptable for a team with the 2nd or 3rd biggest budget in the division?

skybluejelly

I'm not negative about a draw. I, like most others was gutted to concede right at the end but thats football.

I would question your statement of "the Sky Blues are doing ok", is 15th in the 3rd division ok? Is that acceptable for a team with the 2nd or 3rd biggest budget in the division?

having a large budget guarantees nothing..look at liverpool,qpr,leicester under sven.... unless the players are good enough it makes no difference.. it looks like the players in the other teams realize they are lucky to be earning £1000 a week rather than moaning they are only earning £1000 a week

Astute

Not doing OK to be 15th. Doing much better to have climbed to 15th and playing better. Not playing great, but getting better as the season goes along.

Did anyone expect MR to wave a wand and change everything straight away? When he took over we were averaging less than 0.5 points a game. We lost his first game in charge. So in the next 12 we have got 21 points. That is going from less than 0.5 to nearly 2 a game and we are still improving.

coundonskyblue

having a large budget guarantees nothing..look at liverpool,qpr,leicester under sven.... unless the players are good enough it makes no difference.. it looks like the players in the other teams realize they are lucky to be earning £1000 a week rather than moaning they are only earning £1000 a week

Of course it guarantees nothing, but 90% of the time the teams with the larger budgets will finish higher.

Tank Top

HI Fellas.
Call it what you want, but i have to say, from my point of view, It was bitterly disappointing to concede an equaliser deep into added on time, and I can't concur
with the Viewpoint, that a draw was ok, having put in a good performance I'm certain the manager and players will be gutted too.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not happy with a draw, especially with the manner of it. Not the end of the world though, we need to be beat Walsall though to keep our good form continuing now

Otis

HI Fellas.
Call it what you want, but i have to say, from my point of view, It was bitterly disappointing to concede an equaliser deep into added on time, and I can't concur
with the Viewpoint, that a draw was ok, having put in a good performance I'm certain the manager and players will be gutted too.

Talking here though Tank in terms of many of us predicting a draw before the game and saying a draw would be fine, not being gutted about a late goal going in.

Sutty

A draw is a bad result, no question in my mind. Pompey were the worst team in the league in terms of their recent form going into the game and looked really low on confidence.

Having said that, just as I wasn't getting carried away after the Hartlepool and Colchester results, I won't be too negative after this result. I still think we'll finish 10th-12th.

stupot07

There's nothing wrong with a draw I actually predicted 1-1 draw, but there is something wrong with losing 21 points from winning positions and only managing to win 2 out of 10 at home.

lordsummerisle

I'm not entirely sure who he's asking to get real here?

If it's Dongle, Paxo, etc and the rest of the play-offs brigade then fair enough, but most are being quite realistic that we're unlikely to win nearly enough games to make the play-offs this season, but looking for a decent challenge next season.

wingy

They were poor first half but played with excellent spirit ,which is commendable given their predicament .

Guy whittingham got them pumped up when they could have conceded 3-4 , excellent keeper making his debut and got the rub in a couple of decisions.

They dominated the last 30 and it was always on for them while we could'nt extend the lead,unlucky Baker that would have sewn it.

The ref was the second in five games that gave a little assistance to their cause ,stopping the game on a regular basis and they did the

same taking an age over throwins etc,interupting our flow, it all counts against us but there were some good performances from our lot that

encourage me that things are getting better.

Last edited:

covcity4life

Not bad result like that for

But its 2pts dropped, again in closing minutes

And we are already playing catch up

Which makes it worse

WillieStanley

Slow and steady is the call of the day. We showed encouraging signs and yet again were punished for failing to capitalise on earlier chances, of which there were many. But it's another point on the board, we are still in plus goal difference and I think Mr Robins is doing a fine job of steadying the ship.

Astute

The play off brigade?

Is there anyone saying we will make it into the top 6? I am saying we have a chance if we keep up our recent form. All the top teams have to play each other. We have to play all of them. We are the 4th best team in the last 6 games. If we can keep it up we have a good chance. IF is a massive small word though ;)

Nobody can say we won't make it. Just as nobody can say we will. Things are looking better all the time. A lot of it depends on how much more we can improve and if we can keep it up. I certainly think we will finish in the top half though.

At least the ones saying we are going to be in a relegation battle have gone quiet the last few weeks. This to me shows improvement.

blueflint

we are improving but only just clear of a relegation battle so losing two points at home to a team below us is shite.lets start picking up home wins our away form is brill in comparison

BurbageSkyBlues

If we don't aim for it, & don't hope for it, then it says we don't want it enough. We certainly won't get it, then, either.

Shoot for the stars, reach the moon.

dongonzalos

Yep gotta agree.

A few weeks ago some people were saying we are in a relegation battle.

Someone said no manager in the world can reach the play offs with this team.

I have always said it would be hard but is not impossible. As has the others in here.

I do not think that is wild optimism as Otis has said.

The form we have shown in the last 12 games is what we need to continue to do for the rest of the season.

Yesterday we had a fair goal ruled out.

We conceded a goal in the dying second otherwise it would have been a fantastic result.

The play offs is going to be very hard but not as I have said before mission impossible.

Paxman II

Oh perceptions, perceptions!

It's simple. Our 'current' form is very good. That is what MR's has been steadily achieving. You simply can't make wild predictions about being only good enough for 12 or 14th when we are almost there now!
So Pompey was 2 points dropped. It's football and all clubs lose or draw when expected to win. It can happen. No one just keeps winning every week! The fact remains if we now beat Walsall at home next game that will make the Pompey game just a blimp in the big picture giving us a remarkable record over 5/6 games. In fact keep that up, and I have no reason to think we won't - and we will be near or in and around the playoffs by the new year. We have some momentum and we are an ever improving side.
McSheff has come on leaps and bounds the last couple of games, Baker is starting to be more consistent and scoring more, Jennings is finally showing what he can do for us, the new left back is very good, Christie since getting his regualr start is now firing on all cylinders and Murphy looks better than he has in the past, with the Edge and Wood forming a decnt partnership, not to mention McGolden boy and I really think credit to MR's over the last half dozen games and if you are looking for a side to do the late run and challenge it would have to be the City.

Last edited:

Otis

Yep gotta agree.

A few weeks ago some people were saying we are in a relegation battle.

Someone said no manager in the world can reach the play offs with this team.

I have always said it would be hard but is not impossible. As has the others in here.

I do not think that is wild optimism as Otis has said.

The form we have shown in the last 12 games is what we need to continue to do for the rest of the season.

Yesterday we had a fair goal ruled out.

We conceded a goal in the dying second otherwise it would have been a fantastic result.

The play offs is going to be very hard but not as I have said before mission impossible.

It's not 'very hard,' it's automatic promotion form from now to the end of the season.

It's not mission impossible though you're right. Could be done but it would have to take something very very special indeed for us to achieve it.

malkitccfc

theres always teams who make their push up the table after new years. Seen enough positive signs from us to say we're looking up rather than down, should have taken a few of our chances in the first half against Portsmouth but thats football. Shame our next 3 games are all at home :(

wingy

Have to disagree about tight at the back after the two poor defending episodes on Saturday Paxman.

torchomatic

Couldn't agree more, VoR. We are playing great football at the moment. We should enjoy every moment of it.

wingy

OH and just to ground us a little ,none of us when making all of these assessments are considering just what the financial situation is like currently at head office .

The squad size is currently at a level unsustainable for the clubs finances ,while we may shed 4-5 of the inefectual come January,a sale or two to raise funds cannot be discounted ,so

while we're all being distracted by the upsurge in form it would be wise to bare this in mind,keep the cup runs going and the need for this may dissipate,so to be the harbinger of

caution.

Voice_of_Reason

Note I said SOME of our supporters are doom and gloom ! Most now are realistic and accept that it is going to take more than this season to sort out the sh*t from previous bad management. This doesn't mean to say we shouldn't aim to get as high as possible up the table... MR is doing a fantastic job.. far better than I could have imagined ! Plays off's would be fantastic but highly unlikely. Next season aim for the stars (and hopefully SISU will have gone by then !)

Users who are viewing this thread