George Hudson passed away (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

I never saw him play for Coventry but he may have played against us for Northampton in the promotion season. He certainly played against us for Tranmere in the Cup the following season. Did he score in the replay?

lifeskyblue

My dad’s favourite city centre forward. I started going up in 66-67 so just missed him myself, but heard enough about from dad to realise he was one of the best.
RIP George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Just before my time but my brother thought he was fantastic.

i live in Whitefield (near Manchester) . When a guy heard I was Coventry supporter in a local pub , he told me that George was a regular and lived nearby to me and was indeed said he was a great player and character.

Sad day indeed for Coventry City and a very important player in our history.

bringbackrattles

My dad’s favourite city centre forward. I started going up in 66-67 so just missed him myself, but heard enough about from dad to realise he was one of the best.
RIP George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He scored goals with his head as well as with his feet. Hard as nails too took no messing about from defenders. When I used to clean Ernie Machins windows,he told me once that George Curtis told the Hud to come back and help the defence. He ignored that advice and so Curtis had him round the neck,but Hudson laughed it off. Ernie said he was the laziest but as he scored so many goals,he got away with it.
City legends all 3 I've mentioned,but to me George Hudson was awesome.

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

George will always be an idol to supporters of my generation. I was fortunate to see his debut hat trick and the never to be forgotten goal v Southampton. So sad to read of his passing but he’ll never be forgotten.

Johnnythespider

Sad news, too young to see him play but obviously idolised by the older fans, he must have been some player.

Cov kid 55

The first League game I saw, 6th April 1963, aged 7. Cov 5 Halifax 4, and yes, a debut hatrick for George. He was a hero, when Jimmy Hill sold him to Northampton, rumour had it that a couple of coaches of City fans went to Northampton to watch him. Maybe an urban myth, unless anyone knows different..... RIP George Hudson.

Magwitch

The first League game I saw, 6th April 1963, aged 7. Cov 5 Halifax 4, and yes, a debut hatrick for George. He was a hero, when Jimmy Hill sold him to Northampton, rumour had it that a couple of coaches of City fans went to Northampton to watch him. Maybe an urban myth, unless anyone knows different..... RIP George Hudson.
That rumour is true, remember Northampton were in the top division then, but a good number of Cov. fans went to Northampton games when fixtures didn’t clash.

bringbackrattles

Too many of my boyhood heroes no longer with us, Ian Gibson, Ernie Machin, Ernie Hunt, and now George Hudson. 60’s Cov, a great period to live through, many good memories.
I got to know Ernie Machin fairly well due to being his window cleaner. Had a couple of chats over a cuppa after I'd done the cleaning, asked him football stuff. Great bloke and very modest, very down to earth. I asked him once if he could get me a couple of tickets for a game ? Was surprised to hear him say that he got nothing off the club. That was shocking.

Cov kid 55

Yes, I get the feeling he would be quite low key, a modest man, given his skill, a tremendous midfield player. Signed by Jimmy Hill (one of his first signings I think?) because ‘I liked his blue eyes’... Must have been interesting to chat to.

Sky Blue Pete

My father in law starting watching city in the 50’s. He said this

Yeah. To us he was a genius however in those days it was a very smaller selection. No tv no foreign players ( except Scottish). But he did stand out. Pay wasn’t what it is now so in summer he worked as a coal delivery lorry in Cov

How lovely is that

CJ_covblaze

RIP. Met him a few times. Top fella. He and George Curtis were my Grandad’s favourite ever City players. He spoke about his goals and one in particular a lot. Would’ve been worth a fortune now.

bringbackrattles

Yes, I get the feeling he would be quite low key, a modest man, given his skill, a tremendous midfield player. Signed by Jimmy Hill (one of his first signings I think?) because ‘I liked his blue eyes’... Must have been interesting to chat to.
Yes. A customer asked me if I could go and clean a house further up on Ansty Road, as they were looking for a window cleaner. I knocked the door and the chap who opened it looked familiar, but couldn't place him. Anyway he saw my Cov City top and modestly said he used to play for us. Nearly dropped my squeegee in shock when he said he was Ernie Machin !
Sad day when I heard he had passed away.

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

Too many of my boyhood heroes no longer with us, Ian Gibson, Ernie Machin, Ernie Hunt, and now George Hudson. 60’s Cov, a great period to live through, many good memories.
Being a Skyblues fan in the 60’s was indeed a magical experience, the whole City seemed to be behind our team. Jimmy Hill had got the team winning, the car factories offered well paid employment and Coventry was the place to be. I well remember the star hat badges, rattles turning to Dave Clark’s Glad All Over and JH’s pop and crisps parties....take me back.

bringbackrattles

Being a Skyblues fan in the 60’s was indeed a magical experience, the whole City seemed to be behind our team. Jimmy Hill had got the team winning, the car factories offered well paid employment and Coventry was the place to be. I well remember the star hat badges, rattles turning to Dave Clark’s Glad All Over and JH’s pop and crisps parties....take me back.
Crystal Palace use Glad All Over as their main song and walk out music. They nicked it off us !

Users who are viewing this thread