Gary Speed (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

According to the inquest reports he had an argument with his wife and had 'ups and downs'.
Hey don't we all! Also the 'boys were too important'
Well why did you take your life you selfish person and why are we feeling bad for this guy?

andrew.roberts

The following is a quote from the Daily Mail article;

"In a narrative verdict, he gave the cause of death as hanging but said 'the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental'."

How do you accidentally hang yourself ?

kg82

Absolute bullshit how people think they can have such an opinion over someone who has obviously felt they couldn't go on. Nobody, absolutely nobody know's what he was going through, why he felt the way he did. If you don't understand something, don't have an opinion on it.

ccfctommy

"In a narrative verdict, he gave the cause of death as hanging but said 'the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental'."

Ask David Carridine or Michael Hutchence. :thinking about:

Paxman II

...but he was capable of running the Wales international side and only the day before was in the studio'd chatting happily with the likes of Gary McCallister?
I do have sympathies with people suffering from depression but one of the first things that happen is they lose ability to do their jobs and this was not the case.
he left his two boys with a life long horrible legacy and while he was capable of talking to football players he was certainly capable of picking up the phone and asking for help?

Grendel

What a tasteful thread. Lovely discussion.

kg82

Again, completely wrong. It happens a lot that they become distant and introverted but everybody is different and for that very reason they can be affected in different ways. My family has a history of it but to people on the outside that didn't know about it they were oblivious. I've known a lad who suffered heavily with depression but you wouldn't hav known. He's now gone, same way as Speed. I know a girl who has bi-polar and it can be very random with her moods. It's all unpredictable, nothing is consistant with mental illnesses.

Sutty

...but he was capable of running the Wales international side and only the day before was in the studio'd chatting happily with the likes of Gary McCallister?
I do have sympathies with people suffering from depression but one of the first things that happen is they lose ability to do their jobs and this was not the case.
he left his two boys with a life long horrible legacy and while he was capable of talking to football players he was certainly capable of picking up the phone and asking for help?

Awareness of depression really does need raising.

LastGarrison

Again, completely wrong. It happens a lot that they become distant and introverted but everybody is different and for that very reason they can be affected in different ways. My family has a history of it but to people on the outside that didn't know about it they were oblivious. I've known a lad who suffered heavily with depression but you wouldn't hav known. He's now gone, same way as Speed. I know a girl who has bi-polar and it can be very random with her moods. It's all unpredictable, nothing is consistant with mental illnesses.

How do you even know he had a mental illness? How do you know he was suffering with depression? At the moment this is all conjecture. And why are you allowed to have an opinion on it when you know nothing about it but no-one else is?

I admit it is an emotive subject and no one case is the same, however personally I find it hard to feel compassion for the person who has willingly took his own life but have massive compassion for the people who he has left behind who will have to live with all of the unanswered questions, all the ifs buts and whys and feelings that they could have done more.

Fact is there is no right or wrong feeling about it. People opinions on this subject differ massively.

And as has been put what is to say he wasn't into erotic asphyxiation?

Last edited:

dutchman

According to the coroner "He may have nodded-off while sitting with a cable around his neck on the stairs in his garage" which is the most ridiculous comment I think I've ever heard from a coroner.

kg82

How do you even know he had a mental illness? How do you know he was suffering with depression? At the moment this is all conjecture. And why are you allowed to have an opinion on it when you know nothing about it but no-one else is?

I admit it is an emotive subject and no one case is the same, however personally I find it hard to feel compassion for the person who has willingly took his own life but have massive compassion for the people who he has left behind who will have to live with all of the unanswered questions, all the ifs buts and whys and feelings that they could have done more.

Fact is there is no right or wrong feeling about it. People opinions on this subject differ massively.

And as has been put what is to say he wasn't into erotic asphyxiation?

It's being touted it could have been an accident, so surely "killing himself" is also conjecture for the timebeing? The thread was started insinuating Speed had killed himself for no good reason, a selfish act - as is always said about suicide, which it is. But it has also been widely reported he was depressed - you may be right, that could be utter crap. But while it's being reported that's what it could have been I'll stick up for mental illness. My statement wasn't to criticise those who had an opinion over suicide, it was specificly over mental illness as that was the way the thread was going. Sorry for any offense caused.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
His wife stated in coroners court that they'd "had words" earlier in the evening and she stormed out. She returned, only to fall asleep in her car without going into the house until she woke in the morning. If Gary Speed thought she was seeing someone else, and as far as he thought, she didn't come home that night, this could have tipped him over the edge maybe? Who knows. I'll reserve judgement because I don't think anyone will ever know the real truth. And I don't think it's fair to slag the bloke off because of what he did. A mate of mine killed himself because he "thought" his missus was having an affair. She wasn't, but he flipped and left her to bring up two young kids.

LastGarrison

No offence caused and like I say it is a very emotive subject that provokes a lot of varied and wide reactions from people.

I also have had friends who have suffered from mental illness and I am aware of the stigma attached to it and I agree much more awareness is needed on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread