Gaming PC Help (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

Hi

My lad bought a gaming PC about 10 months ago, has worked fine then all of a sudden is now doing this.

36854979-ee3b-4c12-bbf1-986945796177.jpeg

Have tried the usual googling and watched a few online tutorial videos, but don’t seem to be able to resolve.
Anyone have any ideas, or do I need to take to someone to repair?

Thanks

djr8369

Not an expert but looks like it can’t find the boot disk. This would be the disk containing the operating system. Quite a lot of PCs these days have a solid state hard drive to boot from and a standard hard drive to store your data. Does he know if this is the case and if so might be worth checking if the SSD is mounted properly. Perhaps cable is loose or something.
It’s possible there is only one hard drive which has failed. If this is the case may be possible to rescue some data but no guarantee.

Ccfcsj

I work in IT (Infrastructure). As djr8369 points out the PC can't see the main drive. Definitely worth double checking the drive is connected properly, checking BIOS can see it etc. Also check the boot type as Legacy and UEFI work differently.

If it's a HDD you can run some repair routines on the boot sector but these are hit and miss as to whether they work. The good news is any data will still be on there and can be obtained by plugging in as a secondary drive with a different boot drive or via another computer. However, if it's an SSD which a lot of modern PCs have, the data is lost due to the boot partition hold the database as to where the files are stored.

You might get lucky with doing a repair with a Windows DVD but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Also, if the error is on an SSD I would recommend buying a new one and putting Windows on as there is more than likely some corruption on the SSD.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, as said the hard drive is probably buggered.

Get a new hard drive, disconnect the old one and install windows on it. Then connect up the old one and see if you can get any of the data off it.

You can spend hours pissing about trying to fix boot images but doubt it will work.

CovInEssex

Yeah, as said the hard drive is probably buggered.

Get a new hard drive, disconnect the old one and install windows on it. Then connect up the old one and see if you can get any of the data off it.

You can spend hours pissing about trying to fix boot images but doubt it will work.

Getting a new HD and installing an OS is so far down the list of solutions. He has numerous things to try first, could be an easy fix.

Firstly, needs to get into BIOS and see if the PC can see the drive.

Ian1779

Thanks everyone, I’ve got into the BIOS and it says the drive is there, but nothing happens at all when trying to boot it up. I saw another video saying to switch between UFEI and Legacy but that did nothing either.

It’s sounds like a repair job, gonna try and see if warranty covers it first.

Reactions: vow

CovInEssex

Thanks everyone, I’ve got into the BIOS and it says the drive is there, but nothing happens at all when trying to boot it up. I saw another video saying to switch between UFEI and Legacy but that did nothing either.

It’s sounds like a repair job, gonna try and see if warranty covers it first.

You need to just reinstall windows onto it. Plenty of guides on google. You'll need a USB.

Users who are viewing this thread