Gallagher retail park (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Shithole

Today was horrendous. Just spent an hour trying to get out the fucking place never seen anything like it. Traffic gridlockedacross the whole site.

Also, anyone seen the potholes there by McDonald's? I say potholes, more like fucking craters. Unbelievable, some must be around 2 feet deep!.

Central six is falling apart too. We're a city of retail parks but does anyone else actually think the ones we have are bollocks? Compared to your merry hills, bicester villages etc

D

Deleted member 4439

Not a retail site proper I guess, but the eatery outlets around malfunction junction on the A45 not only look in a shit state but there are craters of equal size and queues in and out. It's been great for helping me stick to not eating shit.

shmmeee

Not a retail site proper I guess, but the eatery outlets around malfunction junction on the A45 not only look in a shit state but there are craters of equal size and queues in and out. It's been great for helping me stick to not eating shit.

There was an article in the CT about Vanguard Ave (the road with the craters) and how the company that owned it has gone bust and no one is taking responsibility and the council won’t adopt until it’s up to scratch. The franchisees of the takeout places need to club together, get it up to scratch, and then palm it off on the council.

Grendel

Some of those potholes look like there has been an earthquake - Tamworth Road is shocking as well

Tommo1993

That one at the lights on the way out of there is a whopper.

Some of those potholes look like there has been an earthquake - Tamworth Road is shocking as well

Tamworth Rd won’t be helped by the construction traffic. Could use some average speed cameras on the stretch between Coundon Wedge and Keresley Rd too.

Saddlebrains

That one at the lights on the way out of there is a whopper.

Tamworth Rd won’t be helped by the construction traffic. Could use some average speed cameras on the stretch between Coundon Wedge and Keresley Rd too.

On that, i did wonder at the Average speed cams they've installed on Burnaby road. You're lucky to get near 30mph down there. Feel that could have been used elsewhere

Saddlebrains

Never understood the idea behind Central Six. Why would you build an out of town retail park right on the edge of the city centre? It just encourages people not to go into the city centre when its struggling for footfall.

How longs it actually been there? Never been aesthetically pleasing

shmmeee

D

Deleted member 4439

I remember walking over the bridge there to primary school in Earlsdon. That was mid-late 90's, so well over 20 years.

Used to some class/humerous graffiti on anarchy bridge, the quality of which has sadly declined to a scrawl of tags.

no_loyalty

There was an article in the CT about Vanguard Ave (the road with the craters) and how the company that owned it has gone bust and no one is taking responsibility and the council won’t adopt until it’s up to scratch. The franchisees of the takeout places need to club together, get it up to scratch, and then palm it off on the council.

The state of that road is absolutely shocking, I don’t understand why all of the eateries don’t chip in to get it sorted.

shmmeee

Used to some class/humerous graffiti on anarchy bridge, the quality of which has sadly declined to a scrawl of tags.

Was Central Six there at the same time as the original anarchy bridge, or was the metal version that there’s now built at the same time?

I remember walking the old one when I was at primary, so in the 80s, I’d guess around 1990 for Central Six in that case.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The out of town retail parks, Central 6 in particular were a planning disaster. I can understand the council desire to develop what were brownfield sites but they had a adverse impact on the city centre and will themselves be almost obsolete soon, with very limited scope to be used as anything else.

They did the job at the time so I wouldn't call them all a total disaster since inception. They've just lived their useful lives and now need another rethink.

Thing I always found odd was the a city like Cov with such a decentralised retail offering and numerous retail parks builds an IKEA, which is pretty much the epitome of a retailer requiring a retail park, in the city centre. It was a completely baffling decision and it's thus far the only IKEA in the UK to close. How bad does it look for your city when you can't even keep an IKEA open!

chiefdave

It was a completely baffling decision and it's thus far the only IKEA in the UK to close. How bad does it look for your city when you can't even keep an IKEA open!
I'm not convinced there isn't more to the Ikea story than has been publicly revealed. Place was always rammed and at weekends would cause tailbacks as people queued to get in!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm not convinced there isn't more to the Ikea story than has been publicly revealed. Place was always rammed and at weekends would cause tailbacks as people queued to get in!

I agree. Used to get massive queues on Sundays and always seemed busy the few times I went in.

I think the parking and access really hampered it as they probably couldn't get as many people in as other stores due to the small footprint. Also reckon that it might've also lead to people checking large stuff out instore but ordering it online because it was a pain to transport and thus the sale wouldn't go down for that store?

hill83

They did the job at the time so I wouldn't call them all a total disaster since inception. They've just lived their useful lives and now need another rethink.

Thing I always found odd was the a city like Cov with such a decentralised retail offering and numerous retail parks builds an IKEA, which is pretty much the epitome of a retailer requiring a retail park, in the city centre. It was a completely baffling decision and it's thus far the only IKEA in the UK to close. How bad does it look for your city when you can't even keep an IKEA open!

I’d argue it says more about how mental opening an IKEA in a city centre is, as you alluded to, more than the fact it’s Coventry.

“Just popping for a new sofa, and bed and a few pints in town”

Nick

Administrator
I went to Gallagher on Friday, literally full of people facetiming at the top of their voices with their kids running riot.

No fucks given.

I don't actually mind a retail park though, generally easier than going into town.

Nick

Administrator
That construction stuff is taking the piss. Surprised there hasn't been an accident the way lorries just randomly stop taking up half the road while their mate does the same.

D

Deleted member 4439

Was Central Six there at the same time as the original anarchy bridge, or was the metal version that there’s now built at the same time?

I remember walking the old one when I was at primary, so in the 80s, I’d guess around 1990 for Central Six in that case.

Just one section left, from spencer park to the new bridge.

clint van damme

I’d argue it says more about how mental opening an IKEA in a city centre is, as you alluded to, more than the fact it’s Coventry.

“Just popping for a new sofa, and bed and a few pints in town”

sounds far more sensible than what we did when the nearest one was Wednsbury, "just driving 30 miles up the M6 to buy a candlestick".

wingy

sounds far more sensible than what we did when the nearest one was Wednsbury, "just driving 30 miles up the M6 to buy a candlestick".
And cause a nice jam on the motorway in the process.
Stupid planners we etc, business lobbies etc
What is the purpose of a road if not to get you there ?
No maybe not but to divert you to intrusive retail outlets etc.
Malfunction junction A45 comes to mind .
Take a perfectly good simple cross roads arrangement and turn it into a 3-4 minute manoeuvre .
Crap is what it is .

hill83

Take a perfectly good simple cross roads arrangement and turn it into a 3-4 minute manoeuvre .
Crap is what it is .

PARK LIFE

D

Deleted member 4439

Crap is what it is .

Malfunction junction must surely be the crassest piece of highway/estate planning ever passed by this council, just to exploit a small plot of land, an impressive feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4439

Once you are finally released from the junction, do not turn right too soon - or you’ll end up travelling directly into oncoming traffic. If you see other motorists do this, don’t try and help. It’s too late for them. The junction has them now.

Yup.

shmmeee

Once you are finally released from the junction, do not turn right too soon - or you’ll end up travelling directly into oncoming traffic. If you see other motorists do this, don’t try and help. It’s too late for them. The junction has them now.

Yup.

Was in the car when my girlfriends grandad did this. Luckily no one coming the other way

Users who are viewing this thread