Freesat (1 Viewer)

Adge

Am looking to get rid of the Sky Tv/broadband package I have and was looking at buying a new Freesat box or Tv with Freesat built in.
Any recommendations? Was looking at a Humax recorder/pvr.
I am limited to a satalite dish because of where I am so freeview isn’t an option.
Also, can anyone recommend a broadband only package-would need to be unlimited due to numerous people in the household.

fernandopartridge

Am looking to get rid of the Sky Tv/broadband package I have and was looking at buying a new Freesat box or Tv with Freesat built in.
Any recommendations? Was looking at a Humax recorder/pvr.
I am limited to a satalite dish because of where I am so freeview isn’t an option.
Also, can anyone recommend a broadband only package-would need to be unlimited due to numerous people in the household.
I'm staying with my father in law at the minute, as a cheap stop gap I bought a Manhattan box to use with his old Sky dish. It's pretty decent tbh, wish I'd spent a bit more on a box with a record feature. The point is though I had a Virgin box with lots of channels and don't miss it at all.

Nick

Administrator
I got rid and just use a firestick for everything now.

Really don't miss it. The record features were handy but everything is on iPlayer etc nowadays.

I did have a bt youview box which was ok for just free channels.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I have an unused Humax box you could have, records stuff as well. But I live in Malvern!

Otis

Don't forget about social distancing, so Houch, you leave the box by a telephone booth in a layby on the A422 just outside Worcester, at 3.01 pm today and Adge, you go and collect it at 3.05pm.

Adge

I got rid and just use a firestick for everything now.

Really don't miss it. The record features were handy but everything is on iPlayer etc nowadays.

I did have a bt youview box which was ok for just free channels.
What’s the craic with the Firestick then? Just free streaming etc? Plug into a smart TV? Haven’t really looked into the fire sticks.

Nick

Administrator
What’s the craic with the Firestick then? Just free streaming etc? Plug into a smart TV? Haven’t really looked into the fire sticks.
Plug them into any TV. Just use iptv, Netflix and then BBC iPlayer, itv, channel 5 etc.

You can't record properly but I am managing to live without it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
That’s not too far from Stratford-upon-Avon! :emoji_thumbsup:
If you want it, you can come over and collect. PM me for details etc. if interested. It was £100 so good value for nowt! ;)

Adge

Ok the Sky TV has now gone. No smart tv upstairs only an old free view one, so was wondering what I now need to get Netflix on it? Not fussed about anything else just Netflix.
There is a USB port on the TV so I guess some sort of firestick and then download the Netflix app onto it?
If someone could point me in the right direction and a link to what cheap firestick that would work etc is required, that would be most helpful.

Otis

Ok the Sky TV has now gone. No smart tv upstairs only an old free view one, so was wondering what I now need to get Netflix on it? Not fussed about anything else just Netflix.
There is a USB port on the TV so I guess some sort of firestick and then download the Netflix app onto it?
If someone could point me in the right direction and a link to what cheap firestick that would work etc is required, that would be most helpful.
Yep, a firestick would do it. Roku or NowTV, or Amazon etc.

Adge

Cheers Gents. With the 4K I guess that’s for people who have a 4K compatible TV?

shmmeee

So it plugs into the HDMI port then and not the usb? Or are we just talking about the 4K version?

It’ll plug into HDMI then need power. Some TVs provide +5V from USB and that’s enough, sometimes you need an external power supply.

Benefit of external power regardless is you can use CEC to turn the TV on and off using Alexa I believe (that’s how it works with Google anyway). Also Google 4K needs external power not sure of Firesticks are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread