Four years ten months seems very lenient to me (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Weak criminal system. Bit some will say awww we nees to rehabilitate them

Do the crime thrn pay for it. A long time in jail will make u repent more than a fucking group discussion you forced to attend

Would think victims family find him and take own revenge if out so early.

shmmeee

Weak criminal system. Bit some will say awww we nees to rehabilitate them

Do the crime thrn pay for it. A long time in jail will make u repent more than a fucking group discussion you forced to attend

You think he googled sentencing guidelines before deciding to get in the car that day?

shmmeee

I think people know that not muchh is punishable these days so there is imply not much fear to ensure you do the right thing

I don’t think that’s how humans work. The sentence should be longer because the crime is a bad one, but I don’t think that will stop it happening again. Only a similar education process we went through for drunk driving and seatbelts and that sort of stuff.

clint van damme

Why would you think that?
How often does it happen?
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often but maybe decent people think they'll end up in jail which will just add to what the rest of their family have to deal with.
It is an appallingly low sentence

covcity4life

Why would you think that?
How often does it happen?
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often but maybe decent people think they'll end up in jail which will just add to what the rest of their family have to deal with.
It is an appallingly low sentence
Thata what I'm saying. Would think it happen more

Marty

Such a shame, could have been anyone of us and the weak as piss system in this country is a joke, Hopefully next time he only kills himself.

Tommo1993

GOV.uk: ‘The penalty for causing death by dangerous driving under the influence of drugs is a prison sentence of up to 14 years.’

Get it says ‘up to’, but what he’s serving is a joke. Scummer. Two kids in the car too. c**t.

Nick

Administrator
How long did that bloke get a couple of years ago for killing the kid? Same sort of thing

Macca

that’s a lengthy sentence these days. See the amount of scary shit people get no jail at all for

rob9872

Compare and contrast with three lads from Cov and their sentences for supplying illegal sky cards and boxes to pubs.

I'm not condoning what they've done, but the two crimes hardly comparable and yet their sentences are longer. Ridiculous.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The CPS are the biggest problem in my opinion.

They are only interested in prosecuting people if they think it is an easy win, and the sentences handed out are often too lenient, or too far the other way.

I think people sometimes get angry with the police for not doing enough, but I can say from experience that a lot of the time they don't push for prosecution because the CPS tell them not to. It's why a lot of lower level violence and burglary etc, rarely get convictions. They just aren't interested. Then you have a cockwomble like this who gets a metaphorical slap on the wrist for taking someone's life so irresponsibly. The system is in a really bad way.

shmmeee

They are only interested in prosecuting people if they think it is an easy win, and the sentences handed out are often too lenient, or too far the other way.

I think people sometimes get angry with the police for not doing enough, but I can say from experience that a lot of the time they don't push for prosecution because the CPS tell them not to. It's why a lot of lower level violence and burglary etc, rarely get convictions. They just aren't interested. Then you have a cockwomble like this who gets a metaphorical slap on the wrist for taking someone's life so irresponsibly. The system is in a really bad way.

I think this is the real reason behind the “decriminalisation of rape”. Rape cases are particularly hard to guarantee a conviction so the CPS won’t take many to trial.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think this is the real reason behind the “decriminalisation of rape”. Rape cases are particularly hard to guarantee a conviction so the CPS won’t take many to trial.

Yep, you have got it bang on.

When there is a crime, even if there are witnesses and such, they pick and choose which ones they want to put forward based on the criteria. It's awful. It means you can literally get away with committing quite serious crime pretty easily.

rob9872

I heard from someone in the police that this is also partly down to cost and effort as the sentences rarely reflect the impact on resource. Initially they used to push for longer, but the difficulty the courts have is that if the punishment for rape and taking a life get too close, then more rape victims will be murdered to prevent them speaking up or being able to identify which of course is less risk to the perpetrator. I don't know how they can judge that and certainly not from a victims perspective, but I do understand where he's coming from. Certainly a very grey area.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I heard from someone in the police that this is also partly down to cost and effort as the sentences rarely reflect the impact on resource. Initially they used to push for longer, but the difficulty the courts have is that if the punishment for rape and taking a life get too close, then more rape victims will be murdered to prevent them speaking up or being able to identify which of course is less risk to the perpetrator. I don't know how they can judge that and certainly not from a victims perspective, but I do understand where he's coming from. Certainly a very grey area.

Yeah, you have a point.

I've mentioned it here so not trying to get the violins out, but when I got the shit kicked out of me by three guys when I was walking home from a night out, the police said they couldn't justify putting it through 'the expense of the court procedure'. There were two witnesses that came forward too, and they had the details of who did it, but they didn't want to know.

Doesn't set a very good example does it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You are indeed correct. But that's also the fault of the law. The justice system is there to uphold the law, not make it. If the law is wrong the courts have no right to overrule it, nor should they. And as has been said those with a lot of money and power influence politicians and so punishments and stuff can seem disproportionate to the crime. There's a lot more about property and belongings than actually causing harm because those with the power and influence don't want to lose them.

For me, financial crime should be dealt with in similar terms. Fines twice that of what was stolen/taken and having to do work at the equivalent of minimum wage to work it off. Prison should be there to protect the public from dangerous individuals that could cause them physical and/or emotional harm. Often the criminals in it for the money can continue operations behind bars giving instructions, or lower level criminals just come out and reoffend because it's all they know. Prison has little or no effect on their behaviour - if the financial reward is great enough they'll take the risk of prison. Make it cost more than they'll make and it's not so appealing.

That doesn't excuse a lenient sentence compared to what could've been handed down to the drug driver.

clint van damme

Yo may be right about the CPS but I can tell you through bitter experience that the police aren't interested in doing the ground work a lot of the time.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yo may be right about the CPS but I can tell you through bitter experience that the police aren't interested in doing the ground work a lot of the time.

Yeah, I found that too, on many occasions. On the one example I gave I was almost having to apologise for being kicked half to death. Took them a month to track down the guys who did it, even though I had the vehicle registration. They then tried to tell me that lads were apologetic about the 'misunderstanding' and asked if I was alright. The policewoman said they seemed like nice guys.

Was furious. Learned to protect myself now though. Although you can bet I'd be the one getting in trouble if it came to it.

clint van damme

Yeah, I found that too, on many occasions. On the one example I gave I was almost having to apologise for being kicked half to death. Took them a month to track down the guys who did it, even though I had the vehicle registration. They then tried to tell me that lads were apologetic about the 'misunderstanding' and asked if I was alright. The policewoman said they seemed like nice guys.

Was furious. Learned to protect myself now though. Although you can bet I'd be the one getting in trouble if it came to it.

Sounds about right. Fucking pathetic.

Users who are viewing this thread