Formula one mess (1 Viewer)

AngryAnt

For those that don't know yet, the BBC have 'struck a deal with sky'. Basically the deal means the BBC will show (after this season) 10 races a year with highlights of the other 10 races. Sky on the other hand will show not only the other 10 races BUT the 10 races the BBC will show AT THE SAME TIME.

You can read about it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2011/07/f1_… and take a look at the comments. They've already closed this blog only two days after opening it and it had over 6,000 comments with only one of them being a very tongue in cheek praise.
They are now also trying to hide any mention of the blog along with other blogs asking to "stay on topic" or "questions about the 2011 season" etc yet every F1 blog on the bbc website (and others) has been overwhelmed by angry fans.

Not sure if anyone noticed but after quali on Saturday they also didn't mention anything about F1 the whole night, including the results of quali even though two brits were second and third. Whole thing is corrupt, everything RM touches is corrupt. He'd never pass a fit and proper persons test if he was running a club (actually, he probably would knowing the FA).

I know this is mostly a footy forum but i know there are a few F1 fans, if you haven't already get yourself over to http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc and sign it! Even if you dislike F1 and just want to put a bee in rupert murdoch's bonnet (lets be honest, everyone wants to).

Its ironic that in this deal that the bbc has struck, after everything they've done for Formula One over the years, could be the first nail in the coffin for it in the UK.

Marty

I'm not a big fan of F1, but i have watched it for the past few weeks and found it really entertaining, i don't know why but the races are alot more competitive then they were 5 years ago when Scuhmacher would start on pole and spend the whole race extending his lead. The BBC coverage has been excellent, far surpasses what use to be on ITV.

Although saying that, I can understand the decision to do this, I've read it costs around £2 million a race just for the rights to show the GP with production costs on top, with everyone feeling the pinch I think it's the right decision to let something so expensive go to subscription tv. It gives the BBC the chance to show more cost effective sports, wheather thats replacing those races with Championship football or below (I've heard it's about 70k a game+ production costs), or something like moto GP moving from BBC 2 to BBC 1. Just hope it's not more repeats of Allo Allo. ;)

Kuklinski

The only F1 races I guarantee to watch are Monaco and The one in Abu Dhabi. I have been fortunate to go to the Monaco Grand Prix on a couple of occasions, and I hope to make an appearance at the Abu Dhabi track within the next couple of years.

Even those who are not Grand Prix fans cannot fail to be impressed by the track and facilities at Abu Dhabi. Seeing the yachts moored next to the track and the huge stands and facilities have to be seen to be believed. This is why it is in my to do list.

Marty

The only F1 races I guarantee to watch are Monaco and The one in Abu Dhabi. I have been fortunate to go to the Monaco Grand Prix on a couple of occasions, and I hope to make an appearance at the Abu Dhabi track within the next couple of years.

Even those who are not Grand Prix fans cannot fail to be impressed by the track and facilities at Abu Dhabi. Seeing the yachts moored next to the track and the huge stands and facilities have to be seen to be believed. This is why it is in my to do list.

I bet that would cost thousands to do. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do Kuklinski??

Kuklinski

I am almost fully retired now, (if an opportunity presents itself, I will weigh up the risks before deciding whether to invest or not). I made a lot of early investments in the property Market while I was young (with a bit if financial help from my father admittedly). I have some part shares in a couple of business's run by friends that also provide a steady income.

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix certainly won't be cheap, but you can't put a price on an experience like that and the memories it will bring. I'm hoping to make it in either 2012 or 2013.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Bloody livid at this news! I waited years for the BBC to regain the televised rights from boring, clueless ITV, and was overjoyed when they finally got them. Now after just a couple of years down the line I learn that from next year Rip-Off Murdochs Sky TV will be showing half the races instead! I know and agree that the BBC need to save money, but what they pay some of their so-called "stars" (e.g. Jonathan Toss when he worked for them), is ridiculous. Just like everything else, same as in footie, bugger what the fans think and feel.

Users who are viewing this thread