Formation (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

Ok very disappointing today the 4-2-3-1 formation worked very well so I can understand TM not wanting to change it
however I think he needs to - we all think changes are needed the question is assuming we have no new players what can we/would you do.

It is difficult I personally am a little Mike Bassett England manager so love 4-4-2 not sure squad works in this way.

I think given squad I would try a 3-5-2 with wing backs though it isn't easy but this is what I would try.

RCC GK
Stokes LWB
Phillips RWB
Ricketts CB
Martin CB
Cargill CB
Vincelot DCM
Cole CM
Maddison ACM
Tudguy ST
Armstrong ST

What are people's thoughts, what would you do, who would you play, would you change formation.
It is easy to criticise but must admit not as easy to come up with different formation. team with our current
personnel.

Nick

Administrator
Ok very disappointing today the 4-2-3-1 formation worked very well so I can understand TM not wanting to change it
however I think he needs to - we all think changes are needed the question is assuming we have no new players what can we/would you do.

It is difficult I personally am a little Mike Bassett England manager so love 4-4-2 not sure squad works in this way.

I think given squad I would try a 3-5-2 with wing backs though it isn't easy but this is what I would try.

RCC GK
Stokes LWB
Phillips RWB
Ricketts CB
Martin CB
Cargill CB
Vincelot DCM
Cole CM
Maddison ACM
Tudguy ST
Armstrong ST

What are people's thoughts, what would you do, who would you play, would you change formation.
It is easy to criticise but must admit not as easy to come up with different formation. team with our current
personnel.

It worked very well months ago...

When it consistently doesn't work, you change it up.

johnwillomagic

Fair comment Nick but would would you actually do! I would personally be very interested on Grendel's take on this one.
I know he is a bit of a panto villain on this one so would like him to put his formation and team for next game!

dongonzalos

......................RCC..............

......Rickets.Stephens. Martin.....
Phillips...........................Stokes..
..............Vince....Fleck............
........Armstrong...........Cole......
.................Henderson................

Nick

Administrator
Fair comment Nick but would would you actually do! I would personally be very interested on Grendel's take on this one.
I know he is a bit of a panto villain on this one so would like him to put his formation and team for next game!

I'd try and get a partnership with Tudgay or Henderson and Armstrong.

stupot07

352 is one of the hardest formations to learn and play, we haven't got time to learn in and implement it. Also that midfield 3 isn't strong enough off the ball and I'm not a fan of stokes playing wing back and there's a lack of pace (Armstrong aside). I do agree something has to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

johnwillomagic

Fair enough Stupot so what would you do ......Dong and I do not agree but at least he has put something on paper.
Still looks like one up top though? Lots complaining about it - Nick fair enough but are you talking 4-4-2 in which case who are your midfield 4?

dongonzalos

Fair enough Stupot so what would you do ......Dong and I do not agree but at least he has put something on paper.
Still looks like one up top though? Lots complaining about it - Nick fair enough but are you talking 4-4-2 in which case who are your midfield 4?

Yes one up front with the likes of Cole/Murphy/Maddison/Armstrong
Flying past him as he receives the ball. A proper one up front but them around him like flies.

Stu's right it's a big change to switch to and learn which would be a gamble.

Nick

Administrator

When you see Tudgay come on, he does bring Armstrong into the game a lot or try to.

At the minute it is hard to say who would I play down the wings, Murphy down one side and maybe Cole the other? Cole for the delivery.

stupot07

I think one of the problems is Cole, lamieres and Maddison are all too similar. I don't think Cole and Maddison should play in the same 11. Looking at the personal, the dreaded diamond looks more suited to the players we have.

---------------RCC
Lorentzson- Martin- whoever - stokes
-------------Vincelot
------rose------------fleck
-------------no. 10
-----tudguy-----Armstrong

Any of Stephens/Ricketts/cargill partnering martin

And 1 of Cole or Maddison in the number 10 role

A tad narrow at times but at least Armstrong would have a partner and Rose can make late runs into the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
I think one of the problems is Cole, lamieres and Maddison are all too similar. I don't think Cole and Maddison should play in the same 11. Looking at the personal, the dreaded diamond looks more suited to the players we have.

---------------RCC
-------------Vincelot
-------------no. 10

A tad narrow at times but at least Armstrong would have a partner and Rose can make late runs into the box.

I'd be happy with that.

johnwillomagic

The only worry would be the wide men in the diamond for me Fleck and Rose but yep the 4-4-2 diamond may work well given our squad. It is still a formation change to learn like my 3-5-2 but maybe not as extreme granted!

Johnnythespider

Ok here goes, I'm opting for 4-4-2 with this line up

RCC
Lorentzen
Stephens
Martin
Stokes
Lameiras
Fleck
Vincelot
Cole
Murphy
Armstrong

I know putting Murphy up front is a bit of a gamble but I think with him and Armstrongs pace centre backs wouldn't know which way to turn. That's what I'd like to see but there is no chance Mowbray will do it as he seems hell bent on playing the 4-2-3-1, which is a shame because it hasn't been working for some time

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

stupot07

The only worry would be the wide men in the diamond for me Fleck and Rose but yep the 4-4-2 diamond may work well given our squad. It is still a formation change to learn like my 3-5-2 but maybe not as extreme granted!

Yeah the lack of width is a worry, but with JOB gone, the only two real 442 type wide men is Murphy and hunt. And hunt get anywhere the subs bench at the minute let alone the the starting eleven.

Nick

Administrator

The thing is though, these are pro footballers who train for hours a day. I don't think changing a formation is that much of a big deal.

Hobo

The thing is though, these are pro footballers who train for hours a day. I don't think changing a formation is that much of a big deal.

You say that....but they can't make the managers favoured formation work when other teams do?

Nick

Administrator
You say that....but they can't make the managers favoured formation work when other teams do?

But then other teams have figured out the formation or the players don't suit that formation.

It is like when somebody says a player scuffed a kick because it was his wrong foot. If I got paid thousands to play football every day I'd probably be able to put a corner onto the penalty spot every time with pace either either foot.

stevefloyd

I'd like to think I would as well but if I trained for hours everyday now I think I would be more injured than Reda

johnwillomagic

Johnny Spider I quite like that team - Cole played out wide for England and I think Lameiras best work is when he is out wide and perhaps has a bit more time. Murphy through the middle has worked and him and Arma get on so that front two could work (I have got a soft spot for Tudguy but would bench him to give this a go).

Only concern is centre of park is Fleck and Vincelot strong enough.....confidence in Vincelot....Fleck is my major worry.

I do think we need two up top - wouild like TM to try that on Tuesday Jonny but doubt he will unfortunately.

dongonzalos

---------------RCC
-------------Vincelot
-------------no. 10

I like the diamond
Right players right style of football it can be devasting (for the side using it)

eastwoodsdustman

Teams have worked out how to play our current formation and so we need to change it. Couldn't understand the subs today. If the best players to suit the formation can't score with it then how are the 'second string' going to. Really need to change formation totally to try to rescue the season. Seems to me that we're trying to fit Cole, Lameiras, Maddison and others into the team and playing a formation to accomadate them. I'd get Henderson and Tudgay up front for a week or two with 442 and get some decent service in to the box.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'd like to see more of a 4-3-3

--------RCC
Ricketts--Stephens--Cargill--Stokes (Or what ever your preferred back 4 is)
-------------Vincelot
-------Rose-----------Fleck
--------Armstrong--Murphy
-------------Henderson--
Get the extra legs in midfield in Rose

Have a big unit in Henderson to hold up the ball, he can get in the box and also be a threat from crosses from wide and then and have him feeding Armstrong and Murphy who will hopefully provide the pace and skill.

Users who are viewing this thread