Formation switching and Brandon Mason (1 Viewer)

steve101

Wouldn't it be nice to have Brandon Mason as an option now we are playing a back 4?
Obviously Giles is a wing-back but McCallum too does not look comfortable in a back 4.
It will be interesting to see what happens in January.

Reactions: vow

steve101

No , wouldnt be anywhere near good enough at this level
Why do you say that when he hasn't done so? In a back 4 in league 1 he was one of our better players. He is still young. He is quick and tidy on the ball and wouldn't give the opposition as much time on the ball as Giles and McCallum. The only thing I think goes against him is he isn't as strong in the air as McCallum.

SeaSeeEffCee

We’ll certainly need another left back if we’re going to persist with 4 at the back as I doubt Giles will be good enough there and McCallum looked knackered tonight.

cc84cov

We’ll certainly need another left back if we’re going to persist with 4 at the back as I doubt Giles will be good enough there and McCallum looked knackered tonight.
McCallum didn’t even play Saturday he just got roasted by a good right back tonight

AFCCOVENTRY

We need to recall him in Jan. He is good in a back 4 and gives us more cover as we can makes up to 5 subs and a bigger bench.

cc84cov

I trust Robins' judgement. If he thinks he's not good enough then that's fine by me.
He’s not close to the level he wasn’t at league 1 either...too small too weak he would get destroyed look what happened to McCallum lasr Night and he’s miles ahead of mason

Evo1883

We need his as wingback what he was brought here for crossing into 2 !!! Strikers 😁

Sam is a much better wing back ofcourse... But we should have really kept Mason here just incase tbh... We have 2 wingbacks

Evo1883

Sam last night reminded me of Oxford away last season... He genuinely got ruined that day and was targeted for 90... Wasn't so much ruined but had a difficult game and they definitely targeted him

cc84cov

Spectacularly wrong again, he was one of our best players until the Rotherham fiasco. I think he even got a new contract few games in
No mate he got abused at Rotherham and that was the end of him he’s too small and too weak the manager clearly doesn’t think he’s good enough either 😆

SlowerThanPlatt

No mate he got abused at Rotherham and that was the end of him he’s too small and too weak the manager clearly doesn’t think he’s good enough either 😆

We changed formation which meant he was not of use anymore being limited going forward.

SlowerThanPlatt

We changed formation at half time losing to fleetwood at home

come on Clive this is simple stuff son

Yes that’s what I said we changed formation which meant he wasn’t going to get in - now we’re playing 4 at the back again where he was one of the better players and got a new contract

87 n all that

We changed formation which meant he was not of use anymore being limited going forward.
Mason is better in a flat back 4 as LB and McCallum is a better attacker as LWB. His goals and assists show that. It went downhill for Mason when he had a hamstring scare against Watford in a cup game and wouldn’t come off and then he got subbed at HT and was injured for a while. McCallum came in took his place and deservedly kept it. McCallum for a play who was playing for Herne Bay before us handled 3 games a week very well when he came into the first 11. Tended to tire a bit in the 2nd half but that’s to be expected. Got his chance and took it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Right but he’s only been loaned out which suggests there is potentially still a future for him here.

87 n all that

Right but he’s only been loaned out which suggests there is potentially still a future for him here.
I think he’ll want to move on. Seemed shut out after he got injured. Robins wanted to take him off but mason didn’t want to go off against Watford, his former club, and hasn’t had a look in since. McCallums form may also have decided that.

87 n all that

Of course I just think he’s still got a role here if we lose one of the loanees. Plus we do eventually need to sign two permanent left backs
Good point. I doubt Giles will make it at Wolves though and MR clearly rates him. O’Hare wouldn’t have made it at villa. Sterling isn’t going to make it at Chelsea. We give players a damn good chance at this club.

Brighton Sky Blue

Good point. I doubt Giles will make it at Wolves though and MR clearly rates him. O’Hare wouldn’t have made it at villa. Sterling isn’t going to make it at Chelsea. We give players a damn good chance at this club.

I think Ostigard himself said coming here wasn’t the most glamorous option on the table but probably the best for him as a player. That’s the one thing that’s really in our favour getting some of the stronger loans around

87 n all that

I think Ostigard himself said coming here wasn’t the most glamorous option on the table but probably the best for him as a player. That’s the one thing that’s really in our favour getting some of the stronger loans around
They’ll get game time. We’re not the most glamorous option? What’s his problem :LOL::LOL::LOL:

87 n all that

Mason in the Championship not a chance to small not good enough.
Most likely right but he is a reasonable lb but we don’t have one so play to our strengths. Robins has bought players in to play wing back roles and we’ve had some bad luck with injuries with dabo and dacosta but I think he’ll go with that when players are back.

Users who are viewing this thread