Foreigners playing for English national teams (1 Viewer)

Macca

Does anybody else ever feel that this devalues a "national" side. The other day in the cricket we had Strauss, Pietrson, Trott, Prior. Yesterdays rugby had South Africans, Kiwi, Samoan etc. If you have an England side filled with a good number of other nationals does it really say anything about "English" sport if you win?

Last edited:

Marty

Depends what you would call foreign. How many generations do you go back?? Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, etc. could all be considered foreigners, Someone born to English parents in another country (i.e Owen Hargreaves), would they be considered foreign??

If somebody has English descendents then why shouldn't they be allowed to play for England if they wish, What about players like Mikel Arteta who is now eligable to apply for citizenship? would he be considered foreign if he got the citizenship??

Sport is all about winning and as far as i'm concerned if someone is eligible to play for England then let them play.

Ernie Machin

Have to agree with Marty. If someone wants to play for England and live here, why not? Sport isn't about some kind of racial or ethic superiority, it's just a bit of craic really.

Strauss and Prior are English as tuppence - as the Duke of Wellington (born in Ireland) once said "Being born in a stable doesn't make one a horse". KP and Trott were ignored by South Africa, so they came to England to make a life for themselves. I don't like the idea of English selectors going to a foreign country and poaching players, but there is nowt wrong with eligibility rules as they stand.

Macca

Thanks for responses fellas, as i say just interested in opinions. I just always feel that if a south african wins us a match with a double hundred it isnt an english triumph. As i say just a personal feeling. Why would i have a problem with ashley cole?! He may be a cock but he s english thru and thru

Kuklinski

What defines a persons nationality is subjective. Unfortunately the cricket, football and rugby teams have sold out. I have no pridein any of them any more because none of the represent true Englishness.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think people that have been raised in England for the majority of there childhood is fine and I see no problem. People like Andrew Strauss moved to England at aged 7 and was raised in England from this age, I see no problem with this and don't see it as an issue.

However I would not take any pride in someone like Arteta representing England at football.

bishbosh

Interesting topic and viewpoints. In New Zealand the rugby team has a lot of Pacifc Islanders, Rory Fallon who played for the NZ Football team at the WC did play for England at U21 level. I have my own kids now and my wife is a New Zealander and therefore our children are dual nationals - how would they be received if they were good enough to play for an English or NZ team?

egastap

I have long wondered at these changes to the rules a few years back, that allows 'foreigners' to play for another country. I still prefer the old rules that said you had to be 1) born in the country you play for. 2) Have/had either parent born in the country you play for, and 3) been a resident of the country you play for 10 years.

It was simple, and it worked! FIFA (Blatter, I think) got involved and they so love making changes that are too complicated and/or don't work.

Macca

I think that for me personally a national team should reflect the merits of that countries sportsmen. Difficult to explain, its a feelings thing. Lets say you have a kiwi educated in nz learns all the tools of the trade and the tough kiwi rugby mentality in nz. Then he decides through parentage to play for england and hugely changes their fortunes. Does this reflect on english rugby? I suppose i just don t like the idea of national sides becoming glorified club sides. Anyway its down to personal preference, just my view

rob9872

People like Klose and Podolski playing for Germany helped them to be winners as did all the African guys who represented France when they too were successful. I guess you use your advantages where you can because your job as a national coach will depend on it from a demanding public. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but then as pointed out how many generations do you go back? We probably all have a bit of Scandanavian or Irish or something else in us.

Users who are viewing this thread