Footballers with socks above knees.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

My dad thought himself a bit of a man's man when I was a kid: loud, opinionated and very un-p.c. by todays standards. He'd go to work at Dunlop in Radford, work long hours, then do the pub, a few beers, get into an argument about workers right, immigrants, swear a bit, down a couple of bags of scratchings , then stagger home and expect his tea on the table. (where's my bloody dinner?)
He'd sit in front of the telly with a packet of woodbines and get angry about what was on the news. Every sentence had a "bloody" in it : "bloody foreigners....."bloody posh sods...." .."bloody City council wasting our bloody money...blah blah" He was an immensely proud man but at the same time an argumentative git. He was a bit like some of those character from "Life on Mars" He was certainly not of this world at times.
He's still alive but quite frail now. Hearing is poor and eyesight even worse. He can still rant a bit but he hasn't got the energy to sustain a tirade of abuse like he used to, thank God.
Anyway , the other day he pointed to a picture of a City player in the telegraph. I think it was Jodi Jones.
"Why is this bloke wearing them bloody things that those cyclist wear on their legs?" he asked . I explained to him what was going on, and that shorts were quite long now and that some footballers wear their socks above their knees, for reasons I didn't know. The effect being that sometimes you can't see any actual leg at all.
I expected the usual rant, that they should all be put up against a wall and shot, that J.H would be turning in his grave.
He didn't speak for a minute and then put the paper down and let his head fall back onto the headrest and shook his head " At least you turned out to be alright" he concluded.
I'm glad he didn't spot JJ's hair tied back.
My question is , is there any advantage to socks over knees ? Does it help warm tendons in knees and prevent injury. Is it a fashion thing, or is it sexually stimulating, a warm up to becoming Janice on a Saturday night.

Otis

My dad thought himself a bit of a man's man when I was a kid: loud, opinionated and very un-p.c. by todays standards. He'd go to work at Dunlop in Radford, work long hours, then do the pub, a few beers, get into an argument about workers right, immigrants, swear a bit, down a couple of bags of scratchings , then stagger home and expect his tea on the table. (where's my bloody dinner?)
He'd sit in front of the telly with a packet of woodbines and get angry about what was on the news. Every sentence had a "bloody" in it : "bloody foreigners....."bloody posh sods...." .."bloody City council wasting our bloody money...blah blah" He was an immensely proud man but at the same time an argumentative git. He was a bit like some of those character from "Life on Mars" He was certainly not of this world at times.
He's still alive but quite frail now. Hearing is poor and eyesight even worse. He can still rant a bit but he hasn't got the energy to sustain a tirade of abuse like he used to, thank God.
Anyway , the other day he pointed to a picture of a City player in the telegraph. I think it was Jodi Jones.
"Why is this bloke wearing them bloody things that those cyclist wear on their legs?" he asked . I explained to him what was going on, and that shorts were quite long now and that some footballers wear their socks above their knees, for reasons I didn't know. The effect being that sometimes you can't see any actual leg at all.
I expected the usual rant, that they should all be put up against a wall and shot, that J.H would be turning in his grave.
He didn't speak for a minute and then put the paper down and let his head fall back onto the headrest and shook his head " At least you turned out to be alright" he concluded.
I'm glad he didn't spot JJ's hair tied back.
My question is , is there any advantage to socks over knees ? Does it help warm tendons in knees and prevent injury. Is it a fashion thing, or is it sexually stimulating, a warm up to becoming Janice on a Saturday night.
My dad used to work at the Dunlop. And my mum and my uncle, and my other uncle too.

My dad was there 47 years, from 14 until he was 61.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I bet he didn't bloody swear as much as my dad. I worked there one summer, in 1982 I think, when I was at Uni. I swore like a trooper by the end of August.

Nick

Administrator
What happened to shin pads that have a sock attachment to protect the ankles? It's no wonder players get injuries now with shin pads that wouldn't fit my 9 year old.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Can you imagine Stuart Pearce with socks over knees? If we went back to short shorts the players of today would simply oik their socks right up to their mid thigh. Perish the thought.

Gazolba

My dad used to work at the Dunlop. And my mum and my uncle, and my other uncle too.

My dad was there 47 years, from 14 until he was 61.
I used to work at Dunlop, but at Erdington in Birmingham.
I think they called it Fort Dunlop.
As for socks above the knees, didn't they used to call them leg-warmers?
They were used by dancers in their warm-ups, so I guess they would be beneficial on cold days.

ovduk78

What happened to shin pads that have a sock attachment to protect the ankles? It's no wonder players get injuries now with shin pads that wouldn't fit my 9 year old.
You can still buy those but more seem to go for the ones that just tuck in behind the sock. It's the current boots that I don't get, the coloured ones are like slippers and if someone goes over the top of them with their studs they will just rip open. Then there are the ones without laces with a sock that goes over the ankle. When my son was looking at some Nike coloured boots I did my best dad impression and said "What is wrong with the black leather Adidas Samba, they were good enough for Beckenbauer?" A year on he now has a pair of black Adidas football boots.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Have to say I prefer socks above knees to cocks tucked into socks.
I've never done either. I bow to your personal experience on this one.

tommydazzle

He'd sit in front of the telly with a packet of woodbines and get angry about what was on the news. Every sentence had a "bloody" in it : "bloody foreigners....."bloody posh sods...." .."bloody City council wasting our bloody money...blah blah" [/QUOTE

Bloody Chicken Town.....

Users who are viewing this thread