Football was best between 95 and 2005 (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

A ridiculous amount of world class talent accross multiple clubs in multiple leagues.

There isn't a single defender around today, a single central midfielder or a winger playing today that would get in a team of the last 30 years

Modern football pales in comparison...

It was to me, the golden period of football

Discuss

Tommo1993

Definitely think around that era and before, players were just naturally world class. What I hear about the likes of Gascoigne and Robbie Fowler and loads of others is unreal. Things sound more artificial nowadays.

Evo1883

Definitely think around that era and before, players were just naturally world class. What I hear about the likes of Gascoigne and Robbie Fowler and loads of others is unreal. Things sound more artificial nowadays.

You not old enough to remember Fowler? For me at the time wasn't even world class... But that period had some unbelievable strikers

Tommo1993

You not old enough to remember Fowler? For me at the time wasn't even world class... But that period had some unbelievable strikers

Seen him more on TV, maybe couple times in person. But I mean when you hear of accounts closer to him, like in someone’s biography.

Tommo1993

Not so much sporting science. Hearing Le Tissier on podcasts, McDonalds breakfast on his way to training

Travs

I'm sure some is clouded by nostalgia, but the 90's were unbeatable. That AC Milan side. Supposedly on their last legs, Baresi and Costacurta injured. Went out and demolished Cruyff's Barcelona "dream team" 4-0, absolutely perfect performance.

Other teams getting a look-in too.... Red Star Belgrade, Marseille. Parma. Dortmund started coming good. Ajax won the champions league.

If Stoichkov played today he'd likely be the top striker in the world. But with Romario and Laudrup at Barcelona he wasn't even guaranteed a start!!

Macca

The 90s from the advent of the premier league in 92 is a golden era for me. Still old fashioned in the match day experience but with changes in skill level and superstars. The excitement and novelty of live football in the pub, I’d watch any game even Ipswich v Wimbledon 😂

Travs

The 90s from the advent of the premier league in 92 is a golden era for me. Still old fashioned in the match day experience but with changes in skill level and superstars. The excitement and novelty of live football in the pub, I’d watch any game even Ipswich v Wimbledon 😂

I remember when monday night football started on Sky. We'd collect my grandad and then go to watch it in Ansley Social Club, Foleshill WMC or Bedworth Ex-Service.... game of pool, live football, can of shandy... life was perfect...!! Still remember seeing that Yeboah goal against Liverpool as it happened on tv!

no_loyalty

I remember when monday night football started on Sky. We'd collect my grandad and then go to watch it in Ansley Social Club, Foleshill WMC or Bedworth Ex-Service.... game of pool, live football, can of shandy... life was perfect...!! Still remember seeing that Yeboah goal against Liverpool as it happened on tv!

Ah yes Monday night football, I remember regular trips to Villa and Leicester, the good old days.

Users who are viewing this thread