First Post....Coventry Heroes (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Without doubt, Lloyd McGrath for me. He was committed and hard to beat and is really everything most of our players in the years since haven't been. The only other player who has come close for me since the great McGrath Years has been David "Topper" Thompson.

When I first started going in the 70s I loved Bobby McDonald, Wally, Fergie of course, even Terry Yorath.

scroobiustom

Thanks for all the feedback on this. Dublin appears a popular choice understandably.

Some names on this list that ashamedly are new to me so football archives here I come.

Skybluedar

Thanks for all the feedback on this. Dublin appears a popular choice understandably.

Some names on this list that ashamedly are new to me so football archives here I come.

Dion Dublin for me too. Age 25 and a fan since I started following football. This guy was immense for us. Will always be a fans favourite. And he hates Robbie Savage which is great too, he's quite liberal about it too!

ICHAN

Got to be Lloyd Mcgrath like torchy, for his commitment and never say die attitude, he did not care about reputations and just did everything he could for the cause, even when hurt he just got on with it.

LastGarrison

Dion Dublin for me too. Age 25 and a fan since I started following football. This guy was immense for us. Will always be a fans favourite. And he hates Robbie Savage which is great too, he's quite liberal about it too!

I'd say he splits opinions.

Don't think anyone would disagree how good of a player he was for us but the fact he refused to play for us and then they way he moved on certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Nonleagueherewecome

Great Player ,often overlooked ,I've seen most of them from the mid sixties onwards ,and those mentioned and in other threads and they ar e truly all great ,but for sheer impact on a whole team ,admittedly for a brief period ,and in this division its Dirty Dennis.

Don't forget fellas, the OP said "when you were growing up"! My list woulda been rather different otherwise.

wingy

Don't forget fellas, the OP said "when you were growing up"! My list woulda been rather different otherwise.
In that case NLHWC ,was'nt paying attention ,how many times did i hear that one at school it could be Wee Willie ,Hunty ,ORourke ,Stieno,but i'll go for one that seldom gets a mention ,was always impressed by him Dave Clements

The Reverend Skyblue

In that case NLHWC ,was'nt paying attention ,how many times did i hear that one at school it could be Wee Willie ,Hunty ,ORourke ,Stieno,but i'll go for one that seldom gets a mention ,was always impressed by him Dave Clements

Wingy, Dave Clements was the left back at the same time my favourite Mick Coop played, was'nt he ?
blond curly hair and a beautiful left foot, am I on the right lines here ?

The Rev

wingy

Yuo've got him REv memories are hard but i had him as midfield or on occassion centre -back ,left for Everton ,Northern Irish international as well if i recollect,not showy just solid great passer,did it all quietly..love your annectdotes about attending with your dad by the way:)

torchomatic

Oh, great player before he got injured on that riduculous army assault course somewhere in Hampshire. Ruined his career, that did.

Lee Hurst has just decorated my Mum and Dad's lounge and dining room!

torchomatic

So right. I will always remember the day he broke his leg at HR and he was waving at the crowd as he was stretchered off! Brilliant!

Got to be Lloyd Mcgrath like torchy, for his commitment and never say die attitude, he did not care about reputations and just did everything he could for the cause, even when hurt he just got on with it.

ohitsaidwalker king power

First was Hutch.. who else?......'Twinkle toes' Bennett next..... and more lately Robbie Keane.. his feet were magical and spell binding... in between Speedo Speedo Speedo gave me many memorable moments... his ability to chip the keeper and make him look completely useless was a sight to behold....:claping hands:

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yuo've got him REv memories are hard but i had him as midfield or on occassion centre -back ,left for Everton ,Northern Irish international as well if i recollect,not showy just solid great passer,did it all quietly..love your annectdotes about attending with your dad by the way:)

Your memory is OK Wingy, he was one of the original utility players. I think he might have started up front, but then played anywhere on the left.

Napier

Dave Speedy for me....always tried and best set of front teeth ever !!!! My missus would vote for Babb....nice bum !
I guess a special mention must go to JUDAS Dublin....who having moved to the scum broke his kneck....a dream come true !!

swanageskyblue

Some of our Ernie's made a big impression on me back in the early 70s:

ERNIE HUNT - for being such a character, a rebel and a great footballer. More memorable for me than the donkey kick was a stunning volleyed goal at WBA in the FA Cup - it was a virtually impossible angle to score from, but he did it!

ERNIE MACHIN - I did not think he was that skilled until he came to a youthclub I went to to give some coaching. He used a chair as a goalpost and could hit it from any part of the hall, with a pack of kids trying to get the ball off him!

ERNIE HANNIGAN - because he lived up the road from me, with a weird monkey tree in his front garden, and he got the No 7 bus up to town or training each day. Footballers using public transport one day, scoring at Old Trafford the next!

Strange the things you remember when young - let's hope our current young fans can keep some good memories and forget all the bad stuff.

flashgary

Mine was Terry Gibson although i was only 12 at the time. However of all time it has to be Oggy. After he left and being a westender it took me ages to get used to someone else standing between the sticks.

davebart

Dave Clements got my autograph album signed by the whole team so I have fond memories of him particularly. But Ian Gibson has always been my favourite. He never really shone in the first division though I think because of off the field problems.

But since then George Boateng - and Robbie Keane. What a player he was. Did him no good at all going abroad and then to Leeds. Never really found the right club after us.

Users who are viewing this thread