First choice midfield (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

When everybody is fit, it’s 3 from:

Shipley - Decent squad player and has done ok to date this season, but not good enough to start for a promotion chasing side. Spots a decent pass but too often doesn’t pull it off.
Westbrook - Same as above, has done well coming out of the cold to starting all the league games so far. Not done anything wrong.
Kelly - Rock, simple
O’Hara - Has to start in my opinion, drives forward, eye for a goal, creative. Class
Allen - Not seen yet but deemed a marque signing
Walsh - Struggled first 20 minutes yesterday but after that his class shone through. Similar to Kelly but I thought a little more forward thinking.

So, discuss....who plays and who doesn’t........?

Saddlebrains

Very difficult, but as Allen is box to box youve gotta go with him over Walsh, Kelly could get overloaded in the middle.

Personally for me

Marosi

Dabo Mcfadz Hyam Mason
Allen Kelly O'Hare
Jobello Godden Hiwula.

Bench

Wilson
Mccallum
Rose
Walsh
Shippers
Westbrooke
Biamou

The fact that means watson, jones (when fit) baka, wakefield etc not even in the matchday squad shows just how well MR has done this window

clint van damme

Very difficult, but as Allen is box to box youve gotta go with him over Walsh, Kelly could get overloaded in the middle.

Personally for me

Marosi

Dabo Mcfadz Hyam Mason
Allen Kelly O'Hare
Jobello Godden Hiwula.

Bench

Wilson
Mccallum
Rose
Walsh
Shippers
Westbrooke
Biamou

The fact that means watson, jones (when fit) baka, wakefield etc not even in the matchday squad shows just how well MR has done this window

It's mad that most people would agree the first choice midfield doesn't include Shipley or Westbrooke, (I wouldnt include them myself), yet they've been instrumental in our great start.

Otis

Shipley - Decent squad player and has done ok to date this season, but not good enough to start for a promotion chasing side. Spots a decent pass but too often doesn’t pull it off.
Westbrook - Same as above, has done well coming out of the cold to starting all the league games so far. Not done anything wrong.
Kelly - Rock, simple
O’Hara - Has to start in my opinion, drives forward, eye for a goal, creative. Class
Walsh - Struggled first 20 minutes yesterday but after that his class shone through. Similar to Kelly but I thought a little more forward thinking.

I just think a midfield of Walsh, Kelly and O'Hare is too small.

Evo1883

It's mad that most people would agree the first choice midfield doesn't include Shipley or Westbrooke, (I wouldnt include them myself), yet they've been instrumental in our great start.

I agree with you somewhat , however I'm sure They already know that the reality is they were always filling in until we recruited or players were fit again.

They've done well, but you need to play your best players

DannyThomas_1981

Marosi
Dabo Mcfadz Hyam Mason
Allen Kelly Walsh
O'Hare Godden Jones

Very harsh to even contemplate leaving out Jobello, Rose, Hiwula, Shipley (I love all of these players) but I would love to see the team above at some stage this season.

I think we need our best ball players on the pitch together - Allen/Walsh/O'Hare - and a fully fit JJ is a certain starter for me.

It's great to be even having this debate as it shows the quality of the squad vs. the team automatically picking itself week over week as in previous seasons.

Manchester_sky_blue

A lot depends on how Jones turns out. A lot of players just don't come back from the kind of injuries he's had. They may regain fitness but something changes with them and they never look the same player they did before. I really hope that's not the case with Jones, would be brilliant to add him into this squad playing the way we know he can.

kg82

Marosi
Dabo Mcfadz Hyam Mason
Allen Kelly Walsh
O'Hare Godden Jones

Very harsh to even contemplate leaving out Jobello, Rose, Hiwula, Shipley (I love all of these players) but I would love to see the team above at some stage this season.

I think we need our best ball players on the pitch together - Allen/Walsh/O'Hare - and a fully fit JJ is a certain starter for me.

It's great to be even having this debate as it shows the quality of the squad vs. the team automatically picking itself week over week as in previous seasons.

As much as I like that team, it’s way too small! I think you need some height in there somewhere on the pitch.

First choice midfield for me, at the moment, is Kelly, Shipley and O’Hare. Shipley’s done enough for me to stay in at the moment, without changing it round too much.

Skyblue_CP

I'm not sure you can leave out Jobello, Rose or Hiwula, Rose has been class, personally thought McFadzean has looked more shakey than Rose. Jones can guarentee he wont come back the same.

Marosi
Dabo Rose McFadzean Mason
Allen Kelly O'Hare
Jobello Godden Hiwula

skybluegod

It will be a tough decision to make when MR has to. I thought Shipley had a great game yesterday. Seemed to really step up. There are plenty of games over the course of the season, and it will be harsh on anyone to be dropped, but it's good completion and means we can drop underperforming players which we haven't always been able to do.

DannyThomas_1981

As much as I like that team, it’s way too small! I think you need some height in there somewhere on the pitch.

First choice midfield for me, at the moment, is Kelly, Shipley and O’Hare. Shipley’s done enough for me to stay in at the moment, without changing it round too much.

That's fair kg82.
Difficult decisions to make and pros/cons for different players/formations.
I've always honestly been Shipley's biggest fan so I would hate to see him left out - but I have to measure that against the ball playing qualities of Allen and Walsh.
Deep down I want us to play like Barcelona in their peak years - albeit a League 1 version. Fully realise it may not always work!

DannyThomas_1981

I'm not sure you can leave out Jobello, Rose or Hiwula, Rose has been class, personally thought McFadzean has looked more shakey than Rose. Jones can guarentee he wont come back the same.

Marosi
Dabo Rose McFadzean Mason
Allen Kelly O'Hare
Jobello Godden Hiwula

More than fair points CP. Hard not to like your team. I really hate leaving Walsh out though - absolute quality.
I also like McFaz for his ability in the air and leadership qualities. I think we missed him at Oxford when he would have fronted up to their tactics and stepped in.
Rose is an excellent find in the Hyam mode but as he's stepping up he's prone to a couple of mistakes here and there.

DannyThomas_1981

A lot depends on how Jones turns out. A lot of players just don't come back from the kind of injuries he's had. They may regain fitness but something changes with them and they never look the same player they did before. I really hope that's not the case with Jones, would be brilliant to add him into this squad playing the way we know he can.

Agreed Manchester. My dream is to have a fully fit JJ back and on the pitch. I think he's a real player and ideal for our 4-3-3. Both as a creator and a finisher. He was the best player in L2 prior to injury and I believe that Leeds were about to table a major bid in the January window.

oakey

What a fantastic problem to have.
When was the last time we could say we weren't concerned about the midfield, or at least the impact of injuries there.
I love Shipley and think he is very smart. He can see a pass but he can't, as yet, always execute it.
I also love Kelly and would hate to leave him out.
Here goes, assuming all are fit. I have the full 11 because I don't think you can pick the midfield in isolation.
I am not addicted to symmetry in formations. The team below would give licence to O'Hare and Hiwula to freely roam and switch.

Marosi
Dabo McFadz. Hyam. Mason
Kelly
Walsh. Allen
O'Hare
Hiwula
Godden

Subs
Wilson
Watson / McCallum
Rose
Shipley / Westbrooke
Biamou / Bakayoko
Jobello / Kastaneer
Jones / Wakefield

Mr Panda

I think it gets very tricky now that we've seen what Walsh is about, albeit one game. He was really decent yesterday once he got going.

You have to think Allen is a starter because his qualities are outstanding and O'Hare will be around the starting lineup alot more because he's the obvious link to Godden up front.

As good as Kelly is, at the minute he must be slightly worried if Walsh controls games like he did in the second half on a regular basis.

DannyThomas_1981

What a fantastic problem to have.
When was the last time we could say we weren't concerned about the midfield, or at least the impact of injuries there.
I love Shipley and think he is very smart. He can see a pass but he can't, as yet, always execute it.
I also love Kelly and would hate to leave him out.
Here goes, assuming all are fit. I have the full 11 because I don't think you can pick the midfield in isolation.
I am not addicted to symmetry in formations. The team below would give licence to O'Hare and Hiwula to freely roam and switch.

Marosi
Dabo McFadz. Hyam. Mason
Kelly
Walsh. Allen
O'Hare
Hiwula
Godden

Subs
Wilson
Watson / McCallum
Rose
Shipley / Westbrooke
Biamou / Bakayoko
Jobello / Kastaneer
Jones / Wakefield

I like the flexibility in this team as well. O'Hare in the free role - similar to how Bright played for us.

Sky Blue Pete

Kelly - Rock, simple

Shipley, Westbrook have been playing every game and we are second. How are they not good enough? Mmmm

oakey

What the game yesterday should make clear is that we are at our best when we push up, attack and go for it.
When we push the midfield up 10'yards, give the centre backs licence to drive forward we look a higher level than when we play cagey and drop off in midfield.
At last we could be seeing the type of side Robins has wanted to field.

Sky Blue Harry H

Shipley, Westbrook have been playing every game and we are second. How are they not good enough? Mmmm

No-one said they are not good enough. People are picking their 'best' team - we have a strong squad, so good players will miss out. Will always be injuries, so don't worry, they'll get games (plus we don't get to pick the team!)

Magwitch

Shipley is easiest our most improved player from last season, he is left footed, provides balance and comes up with a goal now and again. Walsh proved second half yesterday he’s a class act and the reputation of Jamie Allen suggests he will come into the team when fit.
Nice delema for Robins especially as O’Hare will surely earn a regular spot.

cc84cov

Has anyone ever seen Allen actually play ?

He seems to be a first choice pick on here for most I can’t remember ever seeing the lad play.

shmmeee

With everyone fit:

Marosi
Dabo Hyam McFadz Mason
Walsh Allen Kelly
Jobello Godden O’Hare

Or maybe:

Marosi
Dabo Hyam McFadz Mason
Walsh Kelly
Jobello O’Hare Hiwula
Godden

Or

Marosi
Rose McFadz Hyam
O’Hare Walsh Kelly Allen
Jobello Godden Kastaneer

Or

Marosi
Dabo Rose MdFadz Mason
Walsh Allen Kelly
O’Hare
Godden Hiwula

Or

Marosi
Dabo Hyam Rose Mason
Walsh Kelly
Allen O’Hare
Godden Hiwula

Or

Marosi
Dabo Rose McFadz Mason
Kelly
Jobello Walsh Allen O’Hare
Godden

Or

Marosi
Dabo Hyam McFadz Mason
Jobello Walsh Allen O’Hare
Godden Hiwula

DannyThomas_1981

What the game yesterday should make clear is that we are at our best when we push up, attack and go for it.
When we push the midfield up 10'yards, give the centre backs licence to drive forward we look a higher level than when we play cagey and drop off in midfield.
At last we could be seeing the type of side Robins has wanted to field.

Completely agree with you Oakey. What I would also like to see is a complete commitment to possession and progressive football even after we take the lead. Too often we retreat when we go in front and concede possession to the other team and our forward initiative.

hill83

Jesus that boy looks a class act reminds me of a little Steven Gerrard him & Kelly will be dominant if Allen is as good as we think surely it’s a midfield of

Allen Kelly Walsh ?

Don't forget Walsh can be re-called in January.

luwalla

Saw Allen pre-season, looked good... truth is though we haven’t seen him in actual league game yet & even those who might recall him at burton don’t know actually know how he will work in this team.

Other players seem to rate him highly , but we need to see him perform in the heat of the game before we really know. If he is as good as is being hyped then we could take another step up... equally, he could turn out to be a tony andreu ( who we kept hearing how he would be like a new , next level signing, once fit but it just don’t happen for him

hill83

Saw Allen pre-season, looked good... truth is though we haven’t seen him in actual league game yet & even those who might recall him at burton don’t know actually know how he will work in this team.

Other players seem to rate him highly , but we need to see him perform in the heat of the game before we really know. If he is as good as is being hyped then we could take another step up... equally, he could turn out to be a tony andreu ( who we kept hearing how he would be like a new , next level signing, once fit but it just don’t happen for him

All it needs is for us to see his body language in the warm up and we'll know there and then if he is utter dogshit or incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread