Finally, somebody in the media has noticed: (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

From the Guardian: FA Cup: talking points from the action in the third round
1) Coventry and Robins deserve plaudits
Amid all the hoopla over the departing Mark Hughes, it is right to take a moment to praise Coventry City. They were deserved winners of the third-round tie at the Ricoh Arena, despite giving up the greater number of chances to the visitors. The Sky Blues played with a determination and energy you might expect of a team assuming the David role in a Goliath encounter. But they were also calm on the ball and often quite cute on it, too. Their play was all the more striking, given the starting XI had an average age of 24 (and that is including the 36‑year‑old midfield warhorse Michael Doyle). Especially eye-catching were the rangy 18‑year‑old midfielder Tom Bayliss and the full-back Jack Grimmer, whose sweetly hit 25-yard strike decided the game. With a combination of youth-team graduates and free transfer signings, Mark Robins has built a side with a sense of promise about them and some of that was translated on Saturday. Paul MacInnes

Nick

Administrator
I think people don't realise what we were up against, due to injury we had kids like Maycock on the bench. They had Crouch, Shaquiri and Choupo-Moting.

They come on with fresh legs and our defence were in a world of it physically and battled against players who on paper should be running rings around them when both fully fresh.

ajsccfc

It's a bit mad that we've got a midfield partnership where one player is literally twice the age of the other, I really forget how young Bayliss is when I've seen him play.

ajsccfc

I think it was Baker who said something along the lines of he clattered Doyle one time and instead of getting an angry reaction he got a smile. The man's bone chilling.

Ashdown

I think it was Baker who said something along the lines of he clattered Doyle one time and instead of getting an angry reaction he got a smile. The man's bone chilling.
I Don't know, he gave my Mrs a right cheeky wink at one of the JSB parties a few years ago when she took our daughter. He reminds me of Dennis Wise a lot now, except perhaps Dennis was a bit better player.

ps1948

2 things. Firstly, the Guardian has been a long-time supporter of our cause, running a number of articles on the mis-management of our club, and asking more questions about SISU than several on here have done.
Secondly, "only" 48000 turned up to see Spurs play AFC Wimbledon this weekend - our numbers would probably be more than Wimbledon, but would many more Spurs fans turn up to see us?

Skyblueweeman

2 things. Firstly, the Guardian has been a long-time supporter of our cause, running a number of articles on the mis-management of our club, and asking more questions about SISU than several on here have done.

To be fair...that's their jobs....

fernandopartridge

Secondly, "only" 48000 turned up to see Spurs play AFC Wimbledon this weekend - our numbers would probably be more than Wimbledon, but would many more Spurs fans turn up to see us?

It wasn't the Guardian noticing 'our plight', they recycle the story every few months when it suits them. It was the fact that their pundit was the first one to point out that it was a very young Coventry side.

Esoterica

How come? Is it something they agreed?
Brent council only allow Wembley a finite number of games over 51000 there per year and that includes England i think. It's security related as I understood. Not an expert on the topic though!

Esoterica

I could see WBA getting the same reaction as Stoke, even if they are in the PL.
I think the Stoke result would negate that - it might be met with initial disappointment but no-one will want to take the chance of missing out on that kind of result twice in a row!

Users who are viewing this thread