Fickle bunch (1 Viewer)

Cov city fans are known to be very fickle. We have just been promoted and yet am hearing fans on radio talking about relegation already blah blah blah. Let me say now I Don't think that will happen not with Robins in charge and hey we got Michael Doyle ! This season I believe is a consolidation year where we keep our league 1 status. We are not strong enough to survive in the championship should we did get promoted and reason why I believe Robins brought in quite a few youngsters in to the development squad and under 23's. Hopefully a few of these will make a the Step up to the first team squad over the next year or so.
The reports on these kids are good so I am hopeful, we certainly don't have the money should we get promoted again to buy a stronger squad so all this makes sense to me. Have watched the relegation sides but I really do believe that this side we have now has lots more talent and anyone who went to the first game of the season will have seen that. Yes goals are a worry at the moment but I believe we will be ok.

ccfcway

phew,

I was worried "fickle bunch" was the american 5th choice striker at darlington

Last edited:

JulianDarbyFTW

Whilst I agree that this should have been seen as a season of consolidation, the noise from the club was about pushing for a second successive promotion. Consolidation wasn't the aim, so it's hard to know if we should be happy mid-table obscurity or not, because the danger is that, if we end up there, we may actually have underachieved.

Otis

Cov city fans are known to be very fickle. We have just been promoted and yet am hearing fans on radio talking about relegation already blah blah blah. Let me say now I Don't think that will happen not with Robins in charge and hey we got Michael Doyle ! This season I believe is a consolidation year where we keep our league 1 status. We are not strong enough to survive in the championship should we did get promoted and reason why I believe Robins brought in quite a few youngsters in to the development squad and under 23's. Hopefully a few of these will make a the Step up to the first team squad over the next year or so.
The reports on these kids are good so I am hopeful, we certainly don't have the money should we get promoted again to buy a stronger squad so all this makes sense to me. Have watched the relegation sides but I really do believe that this side we have now has lots more talent and anyone who went to the first game of the season will have seen that. Yes goals are a worry at the moment but I believe we will be ok.
Sort of agree with that, but we got promoted from League Two and brought in loads of players, sort of pointing to us not being strong enough for League One, so if we got promoted from League One now we would bring in a lot more players next season because we wouldn't be strong enough for the Championship.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
There's been a couple of teams that have bounced up the leagues from 3rd or 4th tier, straight to the top division. City being one of them. (Can't recall the other). So who's to say we couldn't repeat this feat? I doubt we could, but it's not an impossibility.

Rasputin

Consolidate in league one, the old style division three?
That idea hurts a bit. I don’t like it one bit sorry!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Love to go straight up, but surely this crippled club of ours hasn't the resources to compete in the championship. We're not the club we were when we were at Highfield road. Our owners have bled us dry and while on the face of it the name Coventry city still carries a bit of weight in football we need to grow the club again before we can really get serious about the championship. Getting rid of sisu is the first step.

Hobo

There's been a couple of teams that have bounced up the leagues from 3rd or 4th tier, straight to the top division. City being one of them. (Can't recall the other). So who's to say we couldn't repeat this feat? I doubt we could, but it's not an impossibility.

It took 9 years to get from the 4th Division to the 1st Division. A great achievement but certainly not back to back promotions. That's basically one in three. Our fans need to live in the real world.

Hobo

Consolidate in league one, the old style division three?
That idea hurts a bit. I don’t like it one bit sorry!

Stop torturing yourself and live in the real world. Momentum is momentum, its not a promotion every year. Steady growth is good.

Westendlad

Just guessing but didn't Wimbledon. Oxford. Wolves. Man city bounce up thru the leagues ?

Hobo

Just guessing but didn't Wimbledon. Oxford. Wolves. Man city bounce up thru the leagues ?

From 4th to 1st tier (sometimes Premier or old First Div)

Wimbledon about 6 years
Oxford about 26
Wolves about 17
Man City never been lower than third tier.
It still took 4 to 5 years from 3rd to 1st tier and a much bigger club with bigger finances even before the New regime

Last edited:

Westendlad

Wimbledon about 6 years
Oxford about 26
Wolves about 17
It still took 4 to 5 years from 3rd to 1st tier and a much bigger club with bigger finances even before the New regime
Good job i said only guessing !! My mind plays games sometimes...

Hobo

Good job i said only guessing !! My mind plays games sometimes...

No, we all get sucked into those misconceptions. I checked out of intrigue and not sure of the facts. But this notion of back to back promotions marching up the league's is a pipe dream.

Frank Sidebottom

Wimbledon about 6 years
Oxford about 26
Wolves about 17
Bournemouth were in league 2 in 2010 premier league by 2016.
Swansea 2005 to 2012
Hull 2004 -2008
I'm guessing they all had big financial backing though.

Reading
Wigan
Blackpool
Huddersfield
Burnley
Have all done it, But took between 10 and 20 years..... and some went back the other way

rob9872

Fulham did too fairly quickly and Norwich and Southampton L1 to prem in consecutive I think.

Grendel

Northampton town went from 4th to 1st in 5 years

oucho

I think Swansea went up pretty quickly too, just checked Wiki and it was 3 promotions in 4 years

Covstu

A lot had big resources, we don’t. We need to be realistic, one year build, one year push for promotion. There are better teams than us in this league and we are way behind virtually every championship team.

We will lose players along the way, this isn’t lack of ambition as the usual responses will be, it’s just football. Early doors this season, it can go anywhere for us but I’m fairly optimistic that we can get our act together

oucho

And then went all way back just as quickly
As did Swansea!

To be fair, I would be happy with our season provided we avoid any kind of relegation battle.

Lost_Mackem

From the outside looking in it seems that real progress will not be made until there is a change of ownership. Apathy seems to have set in now though after so many years under SISU.

fatso

We aren’t Fickle at all, but there are two clear camps, one who think we have a right to win every game, and then want to press the panic button if we don’t.
And then there are those who are frightened of success and want to make excuses for failure even before it’s happened.
Why not just go with the flow, and rest assure we will end up where we deserve to be.

Adge

From the outside looking in it seems that real progress will not be made until there is a change of ownership. Apathy seems to have set in now though after so many years under SISU.
And how right you are sir! A mid table season I would accept now as that would mean “steady progress”.
The current model of “buy/develop/improve” will only get us so far with the cockroaches in charge and we only see us knocking round the bottom 2 divisions. If we are serious about Championship football, we all know that to stay there (and getting there first) will need some investment, something that will not happen (or not a big enough budget given) while Sisu are here.

Captain Dart

In my opinion the SISU agenda is now to run a tight ship without losses till the court cases drive Wasps out & they can pick up the Arena at a good price.

They're effectively self limiting, Further promotion is secondary to the above.

Unfortunately it's taken some years for them to get the hang of running the club.

Lost_Mackem

In my opinion the SISU agenda is now to run a tight ship without losses till the court cases drive Wasps out & they can pick up the Arena at a good price.

Unfortunately it's taken some years for them to get the hang of running the club.

Have the club got a good chance of winning the court case?

Do the club receive revenue from concessions sold on a match day or does that all go to Wasps?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Firstly, 'the club' aren't the claimant in the case.

This leads to my second point - that the owners will not give ownership of the stadium to the club - it will have it's own holding company which CCFC will have to pay to rent the ground. Like ACL just with someone else getting the rent.

Basically, if they win next to nothing would change for CCFC in terms of the stadium - they'd still be renting.

oucho

Nail. On. Head.

Sky Blue Harry H

This leads to my second point - that the owners will not give ownership of the stadium to the club - it will have it's own holding company which CCFC will have to pay to rent the ground. Like ACL just with someone else getting the rent.

Basically, if they win next to nothing would change for CCFC in terms of the stadium - they'd still be renting.
In which case, we want the process over asap, with SISU losing and deciding what they will do next (hopefully not letting us wither on the vine)

NorthernWisdom

2015 wants its post back.

cc84cov

Quick question - Wasps or Sisu ownership of the Ricoh ?

If sisu did manage to get hold of the Ricoh would they then sell being as it’s more lucrative.

Users who are viewing this thread