Few things to note (1 Viewer)

mark_ccfc

I noticed that Mason did not make the bench, Sheaf started ahead of Shipley and McCallum, although on the bench, didn't get any game time.

Gibbo

People are assuming Kelly is the answer to the central midfield. He went off after 23 minutes at Bristol, when we were one down. The good spell of pressure leading to Godden's goal came after Kelly went off. Against Bournemouth we made his nowse even if only for 60-70 minutes but that will be on the basis of last season's performances not this, so carries a risk over and above his fitness. Kelly then Sheaf maybe the best compromise.

Giles accounts for a high % of attacking breaks in all three games. Allen appears to be struggling to impose himself at this level. Time for Sam McC and Giles on the lef?

Godden's listless perfomance (not just in attack either - some terrible link up play). Time for Walker?

Assuming Kelly is in the matchday squad, who gets dropped?

Of the next four games Bournemouth is our most likley win - so Robins, no pressure then.

KenilworthSkyBlue

People are assuming Kelly is the answer to the central midfield. He went off after 23 minutes at Bristol, when we were one down. The good spell of pressure leading to Godden's goal came after Kelly went off. Against Bournemouth we made his nowse even if only for 60-70 minutes but that will be on the basis of last season's performances not this, so carries a risk over and above his fitness. Kelly then Sheaf maybe the best compromise.

Giles accounts for a high % of attacking breaks in all three games. Allen appears to be struggling to impose himself at this level. Time for Sam McC and Giles on the lef?

Godden's listless perfomance (not just in attack either - some terrible link up play). Time for Walker?

Of the next four games Bournemouth is our most likley win - so Robins, no pressure then.

I think Saturday was crying out for a player like Kelly to be honest. The way he breaks up play and exudes calmness is vital for games like yesterday, where the majority of play seemed to take place in the middle of the pitch. Although he grew into the game I thought Sheaf overall was pretty rusty and needs to do far more to warrant taking Kelly's shirt of him permanently.

Godden had a bad game but performed well against Bristol and QPR. One poor game doesn't warrant him being dropped.

clint van damme

Once the mid week games start coming thick and fast I can't see Kelly playing every week so they're to have to learn to get along without him.

Godden was poor yesterday but talk of dropping him is a bit harsh considering he'd scored in his two previous Championship games

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sheaf needs more time to acclimatise. Walsh looked average for his first few games. He could take over the Kelly role, if not the leadership.

As for the Giles/McCallum suggestion, Shipley is more suited to replacing Allen in the left ACM slot. He's not the best tackler but his ability to link up with Godden and get chances around the area make him an ideal candidate. Plus it's more his natural position compared to either the LWB's who naturally stay wide.

shmmeee

Two positions worry me: DM. I’ve got high hopes for Sheaf and it was his first game at this level, but he got caught in possession too much and too many sloppy passes for that position. For me Kelly is still first choice and with that all the questions about his ability to step up (though others his age seem to have TBF).

AM. Not so much Allen himself but the lack of an option when things aren’t going our way up top. Jones or Bapaga would have been good. Shipley seems to be a DM now. Hilßner and Jobello big questions after fitness issues. Kasta is Kasta. Can’t really justify bringing someone in with 8 AMs on the books.

Dabo will get fitter, Hamer is class, Godden was poor yesterday but has shown he still knows where the net is, not seen anything impressive from Walker yet. Defence have been great. Giles one of our most dangerous players and O’Hare looks like he’s played this level forever.

Sky Blue Harry H

AM. Not so much Allen himself but the lack of an option when things aren’t going our way up top. Jones or Bapaga would have been good. Shipley seems to be a DM now. Hilßner and Jobello big questions after fitness issues. Kasta is Kasta. Can’t really justify bringing someone in with 8 AMs on the books.

Bapaga, when fit, could be a fantastic alternative to Allen (who I rate and improved with game time last season) and I can see him picking up penalties, causing havoc in the final third of the pitch, particularly with his ability to slip and turn his marker.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Two positions worry me: DM. I’ve got high hopes for Sheaf and it was his first game at this level, but he got caught in possession too much and too many sloppy passes for that position. For me Kelly is still first choice and with that all the questions about his ability to step up (though others his age seem to have TBF).

Dabo will get fitter, Hamer is class, Godden was poor yesterday but has shown he still knows where the net is, not seen anything impressive from Walker yet. Defence have been great. Giles one of our most dangerous players and O’Hare looks like he’s played this level forever.

Shipley may be being played as a DCM, but he isn't a DCM. His best attributes are going forward.

IMO Shipley in for Allen next game

Johhny Blue

Sheaf needs more time to acclimatise. Walsh looked average for his first few games. He could take over the Kelly role, if not the leadership.

As for the Giles/McCallum suggestion, Shipley is more suited to replacing Allen in the left ACM slot. He's not the best tackler but his ability to link up with Godden and get chances around the area make him an ideal candidate. Plus it's more his natural position compared to either the LWB's who naturally stay wide.
“Walsh looked average”?
Now I know how you got your username

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

“Walsh looked average”?

He did. It took him quite a few games to get into his stride and early on was responsible for a couple of goals against due to giving the ball away close to our own area.

Same way the memory of McAllister is he was great. Fact is first season he was underwhelming, second he was just above average and last one he was very good. Had he had those seasons in reverse by the time he left people would've been saying it was time for him to move on.

Legia Sky Blue

“Walsh looked average”?

You need to go and read a few of the match threads when he first joined and stepped in for the injured Kelly. There were plenty on here who thought he wasn't up to it and that he was defensively suspect. Walsh significantly stepped his game up once Kelly came back in the team, and the rest is history.

Legia Sky Blue

He did. It took him quite a few games to get into his stride and early on was responsible for a couple of goals against due to giving the ball away close to our own area.

Same way the memory of McAllister is he was great. Fact is first season he was underwhelming, second he was just above average and last one he was very good. Had he had those seasons in reverse by the time he left people would've been saying it was time for him to move on.

Stephen Hughes in reverse :)

mark_ccfc

Nothing gets by you ;)
Take your point - thought I would get that reaction from some :).

However I just noticed that there was a pretty active thread around what was going to happen with the team selection with the arrival of McCallum. Now we know there seems to be very little discussion about it - or did I miss something?

fatso

In the incredibly short time we have seen Walker, I'd rate him behind Baka and Biamou, and the tea lady, and her dog.
Hopefully it's just match fitness he needs as his record shows he knows where the goal is.
But for now, Godden has no competition for his place.

SlowerThanPlatt

In the incredibly short time we have seen Walker, I'd rate him behind Baka and Biamou, and the tea lady, and her dog.
Hopefully it's just match fitness he needs as his record shows he knows where the goal is.
But for now, Godden has no competition for his place.

I must say I have been a little disappointed with Walker so far off the bench

cc84cov

He has looked a bit sluggish to me, though I'm not sure what he's being instructed to do, it seems like play as a target in a front two rather than run behind.
Maybe just needs to get the match sharpness not sure How much pre season He has but so far hasn’t been great

Londonccfcfan

Once the mid week games start coming thick and fast I can't see Kelly playing every week so they're to have to learn to get along without him.

Godden was poor yesterday but talk of dropping him is a bit harsh considering he'd scored in his two previous Championship games

Im afraid Kelly offers nothing offensively compared to Hamer/Sheaf. We were crying out for more in the forward third yesterday. How Kelly would have helped that I have no idea.

Kelly would be brilliant when it's back to the wall stuff.

Sky Blue Harry H

Shipley may be being played as a DCM, but he isn't a DCM. His best attributes are going forward.

IMO Shipley in for Allen next game

Allen/Shipley/Bapaga all options - whoever's not doing it, the others can slot in. All offer slightly different things to the team. Good to have competition and as others have pointed out, it's a long season and we need a squad.

mark_ccfc

Shipley playing DCM seems set in stone at the moment. Giles playing for the whole of that game with McCallum on the bench seems to hint that McCallum is destined as back-up for Giles but Robins was happy with Giles performance. In fact I think Robins felt leaving Giles on gave us the best chance of scoring - that is why he didn't bring him off.
I thought McCallum was going to get a run out though just to settle him back in the team.

Users who are viewing this thread