February- Can this finally be our month? (1 Viewer)

skybluebolland

I don't need to remind anyone how crucial the next month is going to be. After another unfortunate loss last night, we are now 7 points away from safety. However, our fixtures throughout February are kind, and although it involves a couple of away trips, our home matches are most certainly winnable. It starts with Ipswich on Saturday. This game is a must win. If we lose this, and go ten points off safety, then I will finally concede that we will be relageted. Until that distance emerges, I still fully believe that these boys will pull us out of it, have faith. Although Ipswich managed an emphatic win yesterday, it will certainly not be repeated, and I think such a win was in no way expected or planned for. It is within our grasp to take 3 points form this game, and, if results go our way, would only be 4 points from safety. Doncaster and Millwall both have tricky games. Furthermore, Pompey could soon be facing administration, and loosing 10 points, which would make the already circled 47 point safety mark, look a lot more like 43 or 44. If Pompey get deducted 10 points, and although I agree we should not leave our fate in others hands, we could be only a few points from safety, with Doncaster just emerginging from the drop zone. Then, all of a sudden, we will be close enough to smell safety, and, if we win the majority of our winnable games, such as Doncaster, Millwall, and Ipswich, amongst others, I feel that we are not out of this yet, not by a long chalk.

After reviewing our remaining fixtures, and those of our relegation rivals, I feel that we would need about 47 points to survive, not taking into account the likely situation of Portsmouth going into admin. As I stated earlier, if they were to do so, the survival mark would be a lot less, as Donacster would be pushed out of the relegation zone, meaning Millwalls points to ours is irrelevant. 47 points collaborates with the historic number of 'magic' number of survival, but recent seasons suggest that this could actually be a lot less this season. Our penultimate games are against Doncaster and Millwall, where hopefully we will can pick up 3 points each, in which are undoubtedly 6 pointers.

However, our season run in starts on Saturday, and with 18 games left of the season, and on 22 points, I feel that we can double that tally, as we have shown in our recent games, most notably Boro and Bristol City. Just imagine, if we win on Saturday, then life is looking a whole lot better than it does now.

Finally, after guessing the results of our remaining games, I had last nights game as a 2-0 loss, and have still managed to provide enough points for us to stay up, even if we can't win away. We have got most of the toughest games out of the way, so although we have Southampton away, on judgment day, the majority of our games if not winnable, are most certainly eligible for point taking, at least.

Jonty

EleanorRigby

Did Pompey sell anyone yesterday ? there was talk of 2 going to bring them £1.5 mill. If they didn't then they are in the shat, although there's talk of them getting their final instalment of their parachute payment in advance about 2 million if allowed but there's doubt the football league will allow it.

Their monthly wage bill is close to a million apparently.

Last edited:

skybluebolland

Did Pompey sell anyone yesterday ? there was talk of 2 going to bring them £1.5 mill. If they didn't then they are in the shat, although there's talk of them getting their final instalment of their parachute payment in advance about 2 million if allowed but there's doubt the football league will allow it.

I don't think they did, and have just their accounts frozen. Furthermore, I believe they will need more than 2mill, as they need to pay their staff, including players, and also pay an unpaid tax bill, close to, I believe, 12million pounds.

skybluebolland

Does anybody actually have the latest on the Pompey situation?

I know it's harsh wishing bad on others, but their situation is a beacon, a solitary candle of hope, within the large dark cave of helplessness.

EleanorRigby

I don't think they did, and have just their accounts frozen. Furthermore, I believe they will need more than 2mill, as they need to pay their staff, including players, and also pay an unpaid tax bill, close to, I believe, 12million pounds.
I am certain their unpaid tax bill is £1.5 million. I think they are very near to the point where the straw breaks the camel's back. Having to find that tax bill and about 5 million in wages, and that's just the players is going to be tough. I worry what is our position regarding the inland revenue or do we come under the whole SISU Capital empire umbrella for that.

skybluebolland

I doubt if we can stay up without securing an away win or 2.

That's a fair shout, and took that into consideration. Although we would be able to stay up by winning all of our remaining home games, I think that a win away would do our hopes a world of good.
Winnable away games are most notably Forest and Bristol City. Furthermore, I believe that Watford away would also be a chance, as they lost two key players during the last window.

skybluebolland

I am certain their unpaid tax bill is £1.5 million. I think they are very near to the point where the straw breaks the camel's back. Having to find that tax bill and about 5 million in wages, and that's just the players is going to be tough. I worry what is our position regarding the inland revenue or do we come under the whole SISU Capital empire umbrella for that.
As it stands, I think we have enough to last us through to the Summer, especially after the sale of Jukey. Furthermore, a takeover deal looks to be somewhere over the horizon, so hopefully that will be concluded before next season at the very least.

EleanorRigby

As it stands, I think we have enough to last us through to the Summer, especially after the sale of Jukey. Furthermore, a takeover deal looks to be somewhere over the horizon, so hopefully that will be concluded before next season at the very least.
The takeover has to happen. I'm certain without it we will be another Portsmouth, we just have no money and little coming in and if the stories are correct have already spent next seasons season ticket money

skybluebolland

However, I don't think that we can rely on wining all of our remaining home games, as it never goes to plan, but to compensate for that, picking up perhaps a win or two away from home, and a few draws should keep us up.

I fully believe that we will not be relegated. I just cannot see it happening, and although ou position seems particularly dire at the moment, we have the quality to pick up the points required.

EleanorRigby

We have if the matches end at 70 minutes unfortunately they don't. Are we not fit enough ? is it just we ain't good enough or both. You can see it in the players faces when we concede, even the other Saturday v Middlesbrough you could see a bit of panic setting in when it became 3-1

Otis

9 home games left. Win all those would give us a total of 49 points. Probably not enough to keep us up with our winning ALL those games.

As I posted on another post, the away situation looks really bleak. Last away point was October. Since then it has been;

3-0
2-1
2-1
1-0
1-0
1-0
2-1

skybluebolland

We need to stop worrying about this magic 49 points. Yes, it looks likely that a number similar to that should keep us up, I make it to be 47, or less, but, we need to focus on 21st and 22nd, and hope we can catch them. Our best hope is for Portsmouth to go not administration, and therefore, because Doncaster are pushed out of the relegation zone, the gap between us and safety would be more than halved. THERE IS HOPE

Glen

Not a chance it being good month every game we will be winning 1-0 and 90 minutes up lose 2-1 or even 3-1. At some point we will be worse winning 2-0 and lose 3-2

skybluebolland

For God's sake glen, LISTEN TO ME, all of you sitting there resigned to failure is absolutely hopeless. Yes, I admit, we are 7 points of safety, and getting out of that is going to be very difficult. BUT, IF PORTSMOUTH GO INTO ADMIN, THEN THEY WILL LOOSE TEN POINTS, AND FALL INTO THE RELEGATION ZONE. THERFORE, THE SAFETY MARK WOULD CURRENTLY BE SET 3 POINTS HIGHER, THAT IS ONE WIN. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS?

mememe

i hope your right, the only problem is we have a habit of dropping off at this of year every year and have done for 10 to 15 years now bar 2 seasons. the last 4 years we have had dreadfull runs of 10 and 11 games with 4 or 5 points. its time to get real if you havent already, we are down .. mathematically by the end of feb even ... its hard to take really isnt it but thats football for you. you cant simply keep selling your best players, not reinvest, use the children in the youth teams as first team players, the scout as the manager and stick with trainers who train players to last out 80 of 90 minutes and a set of fans who drop off when the going gets tough ... relegation is what you get.

skybluebolland

Fine...whatever. I know that realistically surviving now from a 7 point deficit is going to be nearly impossible. I'm not running around screaming that we are going to do it. What I am saying is that if Portsmouth go into administration, the table would look like this:

21. Doncaster 24 pts
22. Portsmouth 24pts
23. Forest 24 pts
24. Coventry. 22 pts.

THERFORE, if you look closely, you might happen to spot the the gap to safety had been reduced by four points, and therfore the gap is now only 3 points . Now, tell me that we can do that. We have winnable games, and it looks like we finally might have managed to stumble across an inkling of good form.

Grendel

I am a huge fan of marrillion. They did an album called clutching at straws. I reckon they could make some royalties on this thread alone.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Doubt we will have a 100% home record between now and the end of the season, out of 9 we will do well to win 5 draw 2 lose 2 which puts us on 39 points. Then we have to try and scrape 10 points or so from 10 away games.

skybluebolland

Doubt we will have a 100% home record between now and the end of the season, out of 9 we will do well to win 5 draw 2 lose 2 which puts us on 39 points. Then we have to try and scrape 10 points or so from 10 away games.
Fair point, although we might not need to fill the gap of 7 points..

Users who are viewing this thread