Favourite Single/Album/Concert (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Chatting in the pub at the weekend about music as we're pissed off with the football these days and it got round to favourites. So after a good think I chose my favourite ever single/album/concert as follows :
Single: Itchycoo Park-Small Faces.Album: Fire and Water-Free- concert: Big Country-Hummingbird Club in Brum.It's not easy picking favourites as they aren't always the best but these are mine. Anymore suggestions ?

olderskyblue

Single: Virginia Plain, Roxy Music (not favourite ever, just one that stood out for me. Close between that and "Alright Now".)
Album: Black Sabbath. Wow.! what a difference that made.
Concert: Glastonbury

And to add one

Theatre: Return to the Forbidden Planet. Seen many times

bringbackrattles

Single: Virginia Plain, Roxy Music (not favourite ever, just one that stood out for me. Close between that and "Alright Now".)
Album: Black Sabbath. Wow.! what a difference that made.
Concert: Glastonbury

And to add one

Theatre: Return to the Forbidden Planet. Seen many times
Like your choices funnily enough I was going for Alright Now by the Free.I've seen Sabbath many times and Ozzy when he was out on his own. Like I wrote on the thread we can have favourite tracks etc,but some people get that mixed up with what they think is the best,which is completely different.

Grendel

Single: strangers in the night Saxon - never a great fan of theirs but a real metal single that stands the test of time

Album - Space Ritual by Hawkwind - space Rock at its drug induced best

Concert - Milton Keynes Bowl to see Marillion and Jethro Tull with support by Gary Moore

musicmanskyblue

Single.. Have to go with Alright Now.. Maybe the perfect single.. Classic riff from Kossoff.. Andy Fraser (R.I.P.) at only 17 Had the musical intelligence not to play any bass on the verses, which made the chorus impact all the more.. Paul Rogers vocals.. icing on the cake..

Album... Led Zeppelin II.. very nearly went for Led Zeppelin IV.

Concert... Deep Purple at the Cov theatre.. Just after Made In Japan came out..

Wow that was hard to choose...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Single: Really hard to choose from, but "Until the Night" - Billy Joel, squeezes out Al Wilson's "The Snake" into 2nd place.
Album: Has to be "The Wall" - Pink Floyd
Concert: Silver Clef Concert at Knebworth in June 1990. Featured:
Cliff Richard & The Shadows
Status Quo
Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler
Tears for Fears*
Elton John*
Eric Clapton*
Robert Plant & Jimmy Page*
Phil Collins
Genesis*
Paul McCartney*
Pink Floyd*
*These were just awesome in my view. I know they were all Silver Clef award winners, but can you imagine a line up like that these days? I still have my back-stage pass from the day! (A bit of clever sweet talking got me that! :whistle: Also have photos of when Robert Plant walked past me during sound tests. (I was there the day before the festival as well! Saw loads of artists just jamming and tuning up etc! Fantastic!)

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Single Ready for love- Bad Company the finest moment of rocks finest singer (the ladies used to like it as well;))

Album Rumours- Fleetwood Mac three excellent musicians three good songwriters,and if you went to one of their concerts in the 70s/80s as above;)

Concert Cream- Albert Hall no need for description:claping hands:

bringbackrattles

Single: Really hard to choose from, but "Until the Night" - Billy Joel, squeezes out Al Wilson's "The Snake" into 2nd place.
Album: Has to be "The Wall" - Pink Floyd
Concert: Silver Clef Concert at Knebworth in June 1990. Featured:
Cliff Richard & The Shadows
Status Quo
Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler
Tears for Fears*
Elton John*
Eric Clapton*
Robert Plant & Jimmy Page*
Phil Collins
Genesis*
Paul McCartney*
Pink Floyd*
*These were just awesome in my view. I know they were all Silver Clef award winners, but can you imagine a line up like that these days? I still have my back-stage pass from the day! (A bit of clever sweet talking got me that! :whistle: Also have photos of when Robert Plant walked past me during sound tests. (I was there the day before the festival as well! Saw loads of artists just jamming and tuning up etc! Fantastic!)
What a line up there Houch ! Tears for Fears were really underrated I reckon as they made some great singles. To list favourites though can change day by day as tomorrow my list would probably change. In the pub after a few lagers I mentioned that I like Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum as it reminded me of the Antelope Motorcycle Club where I used to frequent in the 70's which was next to the Tam O' Shanter club.But that was met by silence as nobody in the pub remembered it. But I had some good nights in there.

musicmanskyblue

What a line up there Houch ! Tears for Fears were really underrated I reckon as they made some great singles. To list favourites though can change day by day as tomorrow my list would probably change. In the pub after a few lagers I mentioned that I like Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum as it reminded me of the Antelope Motorcycle Club where I used to frequent in the 70's which was next to the Tam O' Shanter club.But that was met by silence as nobody in the pub remembered it. But I had some good nights in there.

I remember it BBR.. Still on my all time favorite singles list.. Listened to it today in fact..

bringbackrattles

I remember it BBR.. Still on my all time favorite singles list.. Listened to it today in fact..
Funnily enough I heard on Monday that Norman was seriously ill and fighting for his life. Wasn't Spirit in the Sky covered by a group some years back ? I reckon it is a great track and always lifts my mood when I hear it.

musicmanskyblue

Funnily enough I heard on Monday that Norman was seriously ill and fighting for his life. Wasn't Spirit in the Sky covered by a group some years back ? I reckon it is a great track and always lifts my mood when I hear it.

It was... Not very well.. strangely enough I supported them at warwick uni. Dr and the Medics I think they were called..

Nick

Administrator
Single - Peaches & Cream - 112
Album - BIG - Ready to Die
Concert - Jay Z - Brum - 2013

I had to get something in that was actually in my lifetime (and my parents by the sounds of it)

*Ill post a real list later on :)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Single = u2 all I want is you
Album= definitely maybe oasis
Concert/ stone roses at heaton park or Springsteen at the ricoh for different reason both were brilliant

CCFCKirky

Iv picked 2 of each! It's too difficult!

Single - Guns n Roses- sweet child o mine/Black Stone Cherry - Me and Mary Jane
Album - Metallica - black album/Phil Collins - Face Value
Concert - Black Stone Cherry @ Download 2013 and Blink 182 @ Birmingham

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

I remember that song very well BBR! I even remember what the "B" side was! It was a daft song called "Milk Cow". Me and my brother wore the bloody single out, we played it that much! I remember the Antelope club really well as well. I'm sure I played them at darts once. I won the jackpot on their fruit machine (probably about a tenner in those days!) and was nearly chased out of the club! Happy days!:claping hands:

Last edited:

stupot07

Single - Live Forever - Oasis or Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Album - Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Concert: Muse at V festival (2004?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

LastGarrison

Single: The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene
Album: The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Gig: Oasis supported by The Verve Earls Court '97 (my first ever gig) or Faithless followed by Coldplay at Glastonbury........although this one could be due to the chemicals that were floating around my system at the time!!

Johnnythespider

Single: life goes on- the Damned.
Album: New Gold Dream- Simple Minds
Concert: The Specials at the ricoh, I'm sure there have been better gigs but I waited 30 years to see them.

bringbackrattles

I remember that song very well BBR! I even remember what the "B" side was! It was a daft song called "Milk Cow". Me and my brother wore the bloody single out, we played it that much! I remember the Antelope club really well as well. I'm sure I played them at darts once. I won the jackpot on their fruit machine (probably about a tenner in those days!) and was nearly chased out of the club! Happy days!:claping hands:
Milk Cow was a dreadful track as if it was written in five minutes ! The Antelope was a lively place but I had some enjoyable nights in there. Going back to the Livvy in Wood End I live not far from there but it's no longer a pub but a health centre now.Proper characters back then and if you were liked in there there was never any trouble,but if you wanted it that was another thing ! Happy Days !

olderskyblue

Milk Cow was a dreadful track as if it was written in five minutes ! The Antelope was a lively place but I had some enjoyable nights in there. Going back to the Livvy in Wood End I live not far from there but it's no longer a pub but a health centre now.Proper characters back then and if you were liked in there there was never any trouble,but if you wanted it that was another thing ! Happy Days !

Not sure you had to be liked brb, just be known by the right people in a non negative way... I was almost on the hit list of one of the bunch of hard-case brothers that used to drink there, but thankfully his elder brother was best mates with my next door neighbour... saved my bacon that did. so, not liked, but "protected" ;)

bringbackrattles

Not sure you had to be liked brb, just be known by the right people in a non negative way... I was almost on the hit list of one of the bunch of hard-case brothers that used to drink there, but thankfully his elder brother was best mates with my next door neighbour... saved my bacon that did. so, not liked, but "protected" ;)
I reckon I know who you're talking about here. Not sure I should name names but he was an ex boxer and money lender wasn't he and no longer with us ? well known family but I got on well with them luckily !

CCFCKirky

Like your choices funnily enough I was going for Alright Now by the Free.I've seen Sabbath many times and Ozzy when he was out on his own. Like I wrote on the thread we can have favourite tracks etc,but some people get that mixed up with what they think is the best,which is completely different.

Thanks to to this thread Iv been listening to classic stuff like "alright now" and "knockin on heavens door" all day! You forget just how good music used to be compared the the crap that's about these days!!

xcraigx

Oasis Some Might Say for the single, backed by 3 b sides which could have been singles themselves. Album wise it's between Deftones White Pony or Manics Holy Bible. Favourite gig would be Royal Blood at Brum Institute a few months ago. I doubt they will be playing such a small venue again any time soon.

olderskyblue

I reckon I know who you're talking about here. Not sure I should name names but he was an ex boxer and money lender wasn't he and no longer with us ? well known family but I got on well with them luckily !

It was his younger brother, next in line...

Although it used to be fun going up the Hearsall Common fair, when they used to have a boxing ring as part of the entertainment, and the guy you are talking about used to wait until all the hopefuls had been seen out within one round, before stepping in himself, and usually winning the prize money... :D

olderskyblue

Tonight, all my choices changed

Single: Ruby Tuesday
Album: Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart
Concert: Jethro Tull, Wembley. Great concert, great company, and a mate with a pocket full of smokes... ahhhh
Most surprising gig: Damien Rice It was unexpectedly (for me) brilliant

bringbackrattles

Tonight, all my choices changed

Single: Ruby Tuesday
Album: Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart
Concert: Jethro Tull, Wembley. Great concert, great company, and a mate with a pocket full of smokes... ahhhh
Most surprising gig: Damien Rice It was unexpectedly (for me) brilliant
And me: Single: Ace of Spades: Motorhead Album: ACDC: Back in Black: Concert: Ken Dodd at the Walsgrave Club in the 90's- brilliant !

Monners

Single - anything by Sham 69 (Oh ot be 13/14 again)
Album - Joshua Tree U2 (Still the best thing they have done by miles, although Boy is a great debut album)
Concert - Pulp at he Kentish Town and Country Club Dec 1995 (Jarvis is clever, funny, humble and harmless in equal measure)

jimmyhillsfanclub

This sort of list changes on a daily basis but:

Single: Going Underground by The Jam......I was only 9 or 10 & this was No. 1 in the charts.....thumping tune that made me want a Rickenbacker & a silk scarf.....
Album: The Queen is dead by The Smiths.......how many awkward teenage indie kids were saved by this record......me for one.
Concert: Toughest choice by far as Live Music is my passion......will go for The Stone Roses secret gig at Pilton Village Party 1995...but could easily pick 20 others that are right up there with it....

Monners

This sort of list changes on a daily basis but:

Single: Going Underground by The Jam......I was only 9 or 10 & this was No. 1 in the charts.....thumping tune that made me want a Rickenbacker & a silk scarf.....
Album: The Queen is dead by The Smiths.......how many awkward teenage indie kids were saved by this record......me for one.
Concert: Toughest choice by far as Live Music is my passion......will go for The Stone Roses secret gig at Pilton Village Party 1995...but could easily pick 20 others that are right up there with it....

It changes by the minute really - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now for the single as I got older. Particularly with my favourite lyric "..why do I spend valuable time with people who don't care if I live or die.."

jimmyhillsfanclub

It changes by the minute really - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now for the single as I got older. Particularly with my favourite lyric "..why do I spend valuable time with people who don't care if I live or die.."

Begs the question.......nah...too easy...

Users who are viewing this thread