Face Book - Be Carefull (1 Viewer)

spwaverley4916

just think i would post this warning to you all. I am trade Union rep and recently had to defend 2 members who made comments about their workplace on Facebook. they thought nothing of it as only their 'friends' could see their comments. However a cetain ( now ex) friend decided to print off the comments and hand them in to the management.
I thought that, as the comments were only there for their friends to view, we would be able to get the charges quashed. However this is not the case. Legal Case Law shows that, in a nutshell, because Face Book is a social networking site you can be dismissed from your job. especially if your firm has an IT policy covering such events.

be very carefull in what you publish.

LastGarrison

After a few years on Facebook, for which I have to say I found it a very useful tool for when I went travelling, I have now completely deleted myself off.

It is all about one upmanship, nosiness and bitchiness.

The amount of people who get themselves into trouble using it inappropriately is shocking.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
After a few years on Facebook, for which I have to say I found it a very useful tool for when I went travelling, I have now completely deleted myself off.

It is all about one upmanship, nosiness and bitchiness.

The amount of people who get themselves into trouble using it inappropriately is shocking.

Maybe that's what your friends use it for but I use it to keep in touch with all my friends in England as I now live in Italy. You have to be pretty stupid to go slagging your workplace off on a social network though, especially when normally you have work colleagues as friends on facebook as well!

LastGarrison

Maybe that's what your friends use it for but I use it to keep in touch with all my friends in England as I now live in Italy. You have to be pretty stupid to go slagging your workplace off on a social network though, especially when normally you have work colleagues as friends on facebook as well!

So you use it for nosing at your friends then? ;)

Like I say I found it a great tool when travelling so vis a vis I am sure you find it of great use living abroad.

Agreed people in general are idiots.

Covstu

just think i would post this warning to you all. I am trade Union rep and recently had to defend 2 members who made comments about their workplace on Facebook. they thought nothing of it as only their 'friends' could see their comments. However a cetain ( now ex) friend decided to print off the comments and hand them in to the management.
I thought that, as the comments were only there for their friends to view, we would be able to get the charges quashed. However this is not the case. Legal Case Law shows that, in a nutshell, because Face Book is a social networking site you can be dismissed from your job. especially if your firm has an IT policy covering such events.

be very carefull in what you publish.

and rightly so, if they are putting detrimental comments against the organisation or people within the orgnaisation they deserve to be punished!

What did they say that could cause action against them? If you were to say my work is shit, thats not really a dismissable offence? If however they said we sold a bottle for £10 today that cost us £3 and our competitors are selling it for £11 then that may be giving away confidential info and therefore a sackable offence.

If they have done something like the latter then they must be complete numptys.

Otis

I am on Facebook but only use it to check on friends birthdays etc. Also my daughter's theatre group update everyone as to what is going on, on there.

I would never dream of slagging anyone off on there.. Why the hell anyone would is beyond me. Also seen one or two arguments too. Plain daft.

Use it for what it's supposed to be used for and all should be fine.

Otis

What did they say that could cause action against them? If you were to say my work is shit, thats not really a dismissable offence? If however they said we sold a bottle for £10 today that cost us £3 and our competitors are selling it for £11 then that may be giving away confidential info and therefore a sackable offence.

If they have done something like the latter then they must be complete numptys.

I think if you say your employer is shit you can get in trouble.

skyblueprincess

lmfao ....if i say my boss is a slut and sleeping with the bearded man from the upper office will i get sacked ??????? (fingers crossed )

Real

4 people have deleted me in the last year, all Man Utd fans because I slate the tossers weekly. My Dads girlfriends son was the most recent, after he was mouthing off about "we" this and "we" that in reference to Manure, until I reminded him he was at Wembley in 87 for the Cup Final and the Charity Shield supporting Coventry. He was trying to portray life long allegiance to Manure, he obviously didn't like the truth. Cretin.

I'mARealWizard

4 people have deleted me in the last year, all Man Utd fans because I slate the tossers weekly. My Dads girlfriends son was the most recent, after he was mouthing off about "we" this and "we" that in reference to Manure, until I reminded him he was at Wembley in 87 for the Cup Final and the Charity Shield supporting Coventry. He was trying to portray life long allegiance to Manure, he obviously didn't like the truth. Cretin.

Oh, I'd wager it's nothing to do with the Man Utd references :D

Users who are viewing this thread