F1 2018 season (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Anyone else a fan?

Treating themselves to an early start for the Aussie GP or is it just me?

SkyBlueSoul

Be interesting to see what Merc say, you'd expect them to see that he had plenty of time on Hamilton during the VSC. Word atm is a "software glitch", sounds like them covering their asses to me!

SkyBlueSoul

Still, I'd rather this than Merc being so far up the road it's irrelevant. Was nice to see 4 different manufacturers in the top 5 and Alonso up there on merit. Coulda been more if Haas had kept their shit together :emoji_see_no_evil:

Paul Anthony

That is honestly the dumbest loophole I can think of. I saw it at Monaco in a GP2 race where a driver went from about 5th, about 15 seconds off the lead, to winning because he pitted under a Virtual safety Car. You're not meant to gain under it, but anyone who pits does. Ludicrous.

Vettel was nowhere today. Didn't even have the pace to beat his teammate in track. So the fact he's won because of putting under a vsc is not only outrageous, it makes the whole sport look dumb. It completely skews the racing, in my opinion it completely ruins it. People don't want refuelling back because it puts too much emphasis on strategy. I'd rather that than someone winning a race they had no right to win because of the most outrageous flukey loophole I've ever seen.

I'm not a big Hamilton fan. Much prefer Verstappen, Ricciardo and especially Alonso. But the guy did everything he needed to to win that race, and loses it like that. Absoloutely Ridiculous.

SkyBlueSoul

Bang on, it's mad how easy it is to circumvent a rule put in place to stop anyone gaining an advantage. It's become such an inaccessible sport for new fans. If you thought you'd give F1 a go today you'd be so confused as to how Vettel won, especially seeing as people who follow the sport will be equally as incredulous. Essentially a guy who was behind won by driving into the bit where you have to slow down massively...

Paul Anthony

Bang on, it's mad how easy it is to circumvent a rule put in place to stop anyone gaining an advantage. It's become such an inaccessible sport for new fans. If you thought you'd give F1 a go today you'd be so confused as to how Vettel won, especially seeing as people who follow the sport will be equally as incredulous. Essentially a guy who was behind won by driving into the bit where you have to slow down massively...

I'd add to that I think the three engine rule this year is really going to hit the quality of the racing hard. Look at today, how much Lewis backed off at the end.

The problem is It's so hard to overtake now that teams have to push their engines to get it done. If they can't, they call it off and save their engines. Now I understand there has to be some regulation otherwise the costs would rocket. But call me old fashioned, I thought it was supposed to be a race. Surely the idea is that they should be able to push as hard as they want. All of this having to save engines, tyres, fuel just isn't helping, and I think there are going to be some severely dull races ahead where cars can't get past, so just go into management mode.

Formula 1 isn't helping itself with it's own regulations at the minute at a time where it needs to be better.

SkyBlueSoul

It is definitely still having an identity crisis. Something's got to give if you try to be a pure racing series at the forefront of motoring technology whilst still being "cheap" for new teams and an entertainment business and sadly it's the racing atm. Like you say, get back to letting them race flat out for a whole race and the entertainment side takes care of itself.

Customer teams could suffer massively if an engine proves to be unreliable. If they get to more than 3 engines, there'll be more grid penalties and they'll miss out on points and potentially the money they'd have got for finishing higher up the table and it won't necessarily be their fault. Meanwhile the manufacturers are surely spending money making a lot more than 3 engines anyway to test back at the factory. It makes no sense

AngryAnt

Today was a bit of a joke. The idea that someone who was third (and going nowhere) can leap frog both his team mate and the leader under safety car rules, is pathetic. If it was anyone else, Ferrari would have been spitting feathers and the FIA would have already changed the rules.

It's nice to see Alonso up in 5th with actual pace and it was also nice to see a new team (even if they did buy last years Ferrari) up in the points for the majority of the race.

Paul Anthony

F1 would be a lot better if the cars could actually follow. There were barely any overtakes today, it wasn't a great spectacle. Take a look at the ridiculous front wings. Of course You're going to struggle to follow anyone if the first bit of car that hits the turbulence has a load of aerodynamic winglets plastered all over it.

The cars needed to be faster. And I do like the look of the wider rear wing. But they could have gone a lot further down the ground effect route to allow cars to follow more closely, so the airflow wasn't so disturbed as it passes over car. Until they fix that, there is always going to be a big issue.

Sub

Just close the pit lane during VSC and problem solved and if you do pit in the VSC window you ge t a stop and go penalty.

SkyBlueSoul

Get yourselves watching the motoGP!
I must admit I do look jealously across at the quality of racing in MotoGP when I see headlines of last corner overtakes for the victory etc. For some reason I've always struggled getting into it, bikes have never done it for me whereas cars have.

From what I can tell, it has better racing but the same problem with team/driver domination, would that be right?

wingy

I must admit I do look jealously across at the quality of racing in MotoGP when I see headlines of last corner overtakes for the victory etc. For some reason I've always struggled getting into it, bikes have never done it for me whereas cars have.

From what I can tell, it has better racing but the same problem with team/driver domination, would that be right?
Honda are dominant but Ducati faster in a straight line.
The lead changes more during a race ,you have the Doctor still going strong at 39 and Marquez who is insane and takes it to the very edge.

wingy

Tyre choice plays a part too .
What you start with is what you finish with .That choice reflects your style and the bikes characteristics.

SkyBlueSoul

Honda are dominant but Ducati faster in a straight line.
The lead changes more during a race ,you have the Doctor still going strong at 39 and Marquez who is insane and takes it to the very edge.
I think I based my assumption purely on Rossi tbh! He seemed to be the equivalent of Schumacher back in the day

SkyBlueSoul

F1 pah! Like Wingy says MotoGP is the place for proper racing.
Go and make a MotoGP thread then ;)

In all seriousness, do you think the pay-to-view deal with BT Sport is affecting new fans? (like Sky's increasing grip on F1 is). I've got access to Sky Go so I can watch all the F1 races but not BT Sport so would struggle to watch MotoGP even if I wanted to (bar the highlights)

wingy

In all seriousness, do you think the pay-to-view deal with BT Sport is affecting new fans? (like Sky's increasing grip on F1 is). I've got access to Sky Go so I can watch all the F1 races but not BT Sport so would struggle to watch MotoGP even if I wanted to (bar the highlights)
Probably the same for both.
I get it free with my Virgin package.

SkyBlueSoul

Probably the same for both.
I get it free with my Virgin package.
It's a sad state of affairs! Cricket's the only sport I can think of recently that's realised what a drastic impact having no free to air coverage has had and is trying to reverse it. The only reason I got into F1 was because my dad used to stick the races on after Sunday dinner and I got hooked when it was on ITV.

Still, I guess none of that matters if the racing is shit haha

BodicoteSkyBlue

Yes I do. Like Sky’s dominance over football it can only be negative in my opinion.

wingy

Bit late I know and not certain but re the safety car.
Was there any suspicion around the two loose wheel nuts with the HAAS cars ,obviously Vettels pit stop without that being critical .
The MOTO GP practise today was fun today with pole going to Miller on slicks in drying conditions .

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

Bit late I know and not certain but re the safety car.
Was there any suspicion around the two loose wheel nuts with the HAAS cars ,obviously Vettels pit stop without that being critical .
The MOTO GP practise today was fun today with pole going to Miller on sticks in drying conditions .

There were plenty of conspiracy theories about it from fans, but I don't think there's anything in it. Mind you, with the relationship the FIA and Ferrari have typically had over the years.....

I do miss not having the motogp on free to view. I always found it one of the more engaging forms of motorsport. I have to admit to being a Marquez fan, love the way that kid rides his bike.

SkyBlueSoul

Only caught up on quali late last night. Be interesting to see what Hamilton can do from 9th and Verstappen from 15th, but looks like Ferrari have got this one sewn up barring any tactical fuck ups. Can see Hamilton struggling to get higher than 5th if Ricciardo can have a clean race. Funny how McLaren can't seem to catch a break. As much as I want them to succeed, they are one of the most arrogant teams going, made me smile to see them behind both Torro Rossos
Very happy for Gasly though, mainly because he's got me some surprise points for my Fantasy F1 team :emoji_smile:

SkyBlueSoul

Thaaaaat's more like it! A slight dip in the middle as it settled down a bit but I thought that was a great race. The extra 100m of DRS on the home straight gave it a bit of artificial help but nice to see a bit of chaos and a nice tight finish. Got to say Vettel earned it this time, especially once Kimi went out. Hope his mechanic's alright

SkyBlueSoul

Think Melbourne GP had 9 overtakes in the whole race, this one had 42 in the first 10 laps alone :emoji_ok_hand:

Paul Anthony

Thaaaaat's more like it! A slight dip in the middle as it settled down a bit but I thought that was a great race. The extra 100m of DRS on the home straight gave it a bit of artificial help but nice to see a bit of chaos and a nice tight finish. Got to say Vettel earned it this time, especially once Kimi went out. Hope his mechanic's alright

Good race. Much better than Melbourne. Personally I just cant stand Vettel. Too much moaning on the radio about blue flags. Be a man and get on with it. Not that he's the only guilty one on that front, they all do it. Just never been a fan, and never will.

Wish Red Bull had a clean race. Their practice race sims on Friday suggested they might have been very strong. Shame Lewis had a penalty too, think he might have faired better than Bottas at the end.

Williams are in big trouble. Their car is a shambles, I don't think their drivers are up to much. With Sauber looking stronger this season, it could be a long one for them. Toro Rosso look like they have a decent package, even with Honda. that midfield scrap looks tasty this season. As a McLaren and Alonso fan, they're disappointing again. The gap between the midfield and the top 3 looks hauntingly huge, probably bigger than it's been in a couple of years.

And Raikkonen just cannot catch a break. Story of his career really. He should have 3 world titles of his own. Hope the mechanic isn't too badly injured, looked a big hit. Maybe time to bring back the old lollipop man, or put a minimum pit stop time in?

Driver of the day probably Gasly. In a duller race he'd probably have got more attention for his 4th place.

Paul Anthony

Not a surprise. It was a big hit. One of the worst mechanic accidents for a while. There does seem to be a problem with pitstops this year. Twice this weekend for Raikkonen, plus the two for Haas last race.

wingy

For those who are interested
Cal Crutchlow takes the Argentinian GP
Absolute farce at the start of the race with everyone leaving the grid to change tyres
Race control making rules up aa they went along(quite corrupt)in their decisions.
Marquez cocked it up before the start against the rules had a drive through and two other penalties last one (30 seconds) to take him out the points for T-boning 3 riders the last being Rossi .
Absolute disgraceful ,he went to Yamahas garage at the end to apologise but was run out of there by the team.

Paul Anthony

For those who are interested
Cal Crutchlow takes the Argentinian GP
Absolute farce at the start of the race with everyone leaving the grid to change tyres
Race control making rules up aa they went along(quite corrupt)in their decisions.
Marquez cocked it up before the start against the rules had a drive through and two other penalties last one (30 seconds) to take him out the points for T-boning 3 riders the last being Rossi .
Absolute disgraceful ,he went to Yamahas garage at the end to apologise but was run out of there by the team.

Followed it on Twitter. Seems like the whole thing descended into an absolute botchfest! Glad for Crutchlow, I know he gets some stick for how often he crashes out, but I think he's a very capable rider.

SkyBlueSoul

Jesus, someone took the footage of Raikkonen's stop and put it in slow mo. Definite problem with the release system, that light should never have gone green. It's the guy who puts the new tyre on so has to step in front of the wheel as the car pulls in. He was still there when Kimi set off and the bottom half of his leg snaps (as you'd expect if an F1 car ran over it). Absolutely horrific injury

Users who are viewing this thread