Match Thread Exeter City (a) 29th July (2 Viewers)

Mcbean

Long throw definitely a weapon we didn’t have !

Hobo

It was just a pre season friendly, but at least Exeter tested us a little bit which is what we needed. I thought there were a number of positives and I am sure Collins and Da Silva are both capable of better performances than that.

It will take a good six games to find out where we are at and there are still more players to come in. I think it could be post Christmas before we really get going. I always think a strong finish is better than a strong start to the season.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
You've praised Godden who was wearing his slippers yesterday and somehow managed to get a dig in at Palmer who was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch.

Some good cider down there?
I drove, but anywho...how do you feel when Palmer does a brilliant turn, beats a man then slides a straightforward pass out of play?

I think he's great and our most skilful player, but just as Hamer was frustrating early last season with his discipline and so many Hollywood passes, Kasey is too with his hard things easy/easy things hard play.

BTW, if you think frustrating is 'a dig', it's gonna be a loooong season for you on here 😅

Grendel

I drove, but anywho...how do you feel when Palmer does a brilliant turn, beats a man then slides a straightforward pass out of play?

I think he's great and our most skilful player, but just as Hamer was frustrating early last season with his discipline and so many Hollywood passes, Kasey is too with his hard things easy/easy things hard play.

BTW, if you think frustrating is 'a dig', it's gonna be a loooong season for you on here 😅

You can’t say anything negative against palmer - it’s forbidden

Grendel

You can’t saying anything positive about palmer - it’s forbidden. Surely you can admit he played well yesterday.

Yes but he wasn’t head and shoulders above everyone else either

Someone else made a mild (and accurate) negative observation and is accused of being intoxicated

theferret

Yes but he wasn’t head and shoulders above everyone else either

Someone else made a mild (and accurate) negative observation and is accused of being intoxicated

Fuck me, how do people get through life being so literal? Yeah, I was definitely accusing him of being pissed and it wasn't a tongue in cheek comment at all.

theferret

It was more the contrast between your comments about Godden and Palmer, given that I thought Godden looked like someone who had won a competition yesterday* and that Palmer was excellent. I didn't see much evidence of straightforward passes being put out of play, there were a couple of straight balls that were a touch heavy but other than that, he hardly put a foot wrong and his use of the ball excellent imo, but that doesn't mean I'm right, we can agree to disagree.

*always rated Godden and you'll be hard pressed to find a negative comment from me about him, in fact you're more likely to find one about Palmer, but he's simply not the required standard. Squad player fine, but we have to looking to move him on. I think he needs to find a league one club and play regularly, for his sake.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Collins song-Super Trooper by Abba with lyrics "sweeeper keeeeper..."
Or for Wilson

He's super-duper
His saves are gonna blind you
Keeps clean sheets for fun
Always smiling, having fun
Ben Wilson our No.1

CovLis86

I thought Lati was excellent yesterday, very composed. Palmer had a great game, just couple sloppy passes. Thomas a couple of wobbles, but dominant in the air. Godden got the chances, can't help but feel if we want to push on there needs to be someone brought in to start ahead of him.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
It was more the contrast between your comments about Godden and Palmer, given that I thought Godden looked like someone who had won a competition yesterday* and that Palmer was excellent. I didn't see much evidence of straightforward passes being put out of play, there were a couple of straight balls that were a touch heavy but other than that, he hardly put a foot wrong and his use of the ball excellent imo, but that doesn't mean I'm right, we can agree to disagree.

*always rated Godden and you'll be hard pressed to find a negative comment from me about him, in fact you're more likely to find one about Palmer, but he's simply not the required standard. Squad player fine, but we have to looking to move him on. I think he needs to find a league one club and play regularly, for his sake.
A competition winner who scored, had at least 4 attempts on target and got MOTM from the Cov Tel?

I agree that we need a better striker if we're going to get promoted, but saying he was a competition winner yesterday is ludicrous.

Irish Sky Blue

I watched yesterday’s game via You Tube but I have been at the other three friendlies. I thought yesterday’s performance by Simms was about on a par with the first three games. He is obviously a very different type of centre forward to Viktor and unfortunately, initially won’t compare favourably. I don’t think he has been involved enough in the games he has played and his passing and touch have been poor sometimes. I think Robins alluded to some of these things in his comments after the MK game. I think he has shown enough to show that the potential for improvement is there and he has taken the goalscoring chances he has been given pretty well, including his headed goal, a variety of goal that has been rare in recent seasons.
Watching Godden from behind the goal at Shrewsbury and at MK you can really get to appreciate his clever movement. It is this that has given him so many chances over these four games. It is no exaggeration to say that he could have had at least 10 goals to his credit. Surprisingly he has missed all of these including a pen and has only the maybe fluky goal from yesterday to his name. I know it’s lower league opposition but he has been more involved in theses games than he was those in the run in to last season’s finale.
I think Simms will come good and I think Godden is well worth keeping around until we get another two or three forwards who can consistently prove they can offer more than he does. I did think at the end of last season that perhaps he was losing his influence in games. His performances pre-season make me feel he deserves his place in the squad and maybe in the team.

Deity

Enjoyable day out. Like the look of Thomas; old school with 60 yards pings thrown in. Lati will be the new Fadz. Sheaf/Eccles class. Godden never stopped, looked sharp. Palmer is so talented but his sloppiness with the easy balls is frustrating. Expected a bit more from Simms, but he has scored 4 in pre-season.

Btw, did anyone hear the Vik song?...

They've got a fat Swede on their side
Plays for Sporting, green and white
Being fat is what he does best
And he goes by the name of Gyokeres

😅
Joel reminds me of Martin Crainie. Good technical footballer, lacks the height to play in the centre of the 3.

theferret

A competition winner who scored, had at least 4 attempts on target and got MOTM from the Cov Tel?

I agree that we need a better striker if we're going to get promoted, but saying he was a competition winner yesterday is ludicrous.

You seem to be suggesting all those missed chances were a positive? OK fine. It's about opinions and we're clearly miles apart.

Like Godden, appreciate what he has done for the club, and I was of course exaggerating to make a point, but he's had a poor pre-season imo. Maybe just lacking confidence in front of goal, don't want to come across as too harsh, but never in a month of Sundays was he motm yesterday.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Sakamoto seemed reluctant to take on the fullback and opted for keeping possession. Think he was probably disappointed in his performance. As for Simms, he's young and will improve over the season. One player who does benefit from him is Godden. If not for their keeper he'd of had a hat-trick

Sakamoto! Yeah he's performance yesterday did seem odd not attacking the fullback, is he holding something back. 🤔

CDK

Godden was the striker mainly threatening scored the goal had 3 saved 3 off target a good performance Palmer motm.

Users who are viewing this thread