Europe: in or out? (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

Seeing that we are due to have a referendum on Europe by the end of 2017, what does being in the European Union mean to you?

Should we have more or less social, economic and political integration?

Really interested to hear peoples views on this subject.

SkyblueBazza

Too soon to say really for me.

Ultimately, most of heavily publicised decisions made seem to favour making it easier for the German economy & businesses rather than EU people. However I don't see that as being any different to "local" politics where say UK government is mainly about the London economy & businesses.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

mrtrench

I don't know on this one. I've planned to really research the issues before the referendum so I can have an opinion... but sometimes I cannot decide on issues even after research.

lifeskyblue

For me it's a stay in. Defensively and in economic terms I think we are stronger together. Europe is a massive market for the goods we produce and that can only be good for jobs. I agree with Bazza that many decisions seem to favour a few rather than the many but as he points out all politics is like that. Whether we are run from Westminster or Brussels I will have little or no control or say in the way policy is developed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtrench

Why can we not sell our goods in Europe if we leave the EU? We sell in America and we're not an American state. Genuine question.

lifeskyblue

Why can we not sell our goods in Europe if we leave the EU? We sell in America and we're not an American state. Genuine question.

We could continue to sell goods in Europe if we left but there would be more restrictions including import taxes etc on goods we sold making it likely that goods would be priced more highly than currently. Or overheads including wages would need to fall in order for goods to remain competitive.

Covrock

I agree with the common market, free trade etc. However, this monster that it has grown into is a definite no for me. To be told what to do by failed and bent politicians, kinnock and Mrs, people who we have not voted for. The whole thing stinks. The world is a big place for trade not just Europe. Also on A lighter note, nobody votes for the UK on Eurovision.

Ashdown

OUT ! Unless it is drastically watered down so that we can better control our own borders and pay less into it.

SkyblueBazza

We could continue to sell goods in Europe if we left but there would be more restrictions including import taxes etc on goods we sold making it likely that goods would be priced more highly than currently. Or overheads including wages would need to fall in order for goods to remain competitive.

It means the same for EU countries wanting to trade here too though. We apply the equivalent taxes on their goods & services...we are a big wealthy desirable market for the EU too. All that stuff I think is smoke & mirrors - new big markets would open up/re-open such as the commonwealth countries.
It's all very interesting & for every point made it appears there is a pretty much equally strong counterpoint.
Whatever the outcome, I would wager that the man in the street will benefit in no way at all overall.

lifeskyblue

It means the same for EU countries wanting to trade here too though. We apply the equivalent taxes on their goods & services...we are a big wealthy desirable market for the EU too. All that stuff I think is smoke & mirrors - new big markets would open up/re-open such as the commonwealth countries.
It's all very interesting & for every point made it appears there is a pretty much equally strong counterpoint.
Whatever the outcome, I would wager that the man in the street will benefit in no way at all overall.

Your last point about the man in the street is so true unfortunately.

Johnnythespider

It's the European hokey cokey, at the minute I'm shaking it all about, will decide nearer the time.

Brighton Sky Blue

So far I'm finding a lot of parallels with the Scottish referendum which became very tedious very quickly. There is an advantage in having the 'Yes' side though people campaigning to stay need to really emphasise the positive things that come from membership which are not well known at present.

Sick Boy

In purely on the fact that Britain would become even more insular. I'd be on the first plane out of here if a no vote happened.

Users who are viewing this thread