Ernie Hannigan RIP (1 Viewer)

deanocity3

Just been told that Ernie Hannigan who was part of the city team that gain a place in Europe in 1970 passed away this morning RIP
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• hannigan-e-ernie-1970.jpg
    hannigan-e-ernie-1970.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 207
  • hannigan-e-ernie-2010.jpg
    hannigan-e-ernie-2010.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,528

rupert_bear

Sad news, bought by Noel Cantwell for £65000 who went on to sell Ronnie Rees to West Brom for similar fee, Albion got the better deal

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I well remember Hannigan being in the club set-up. RIP. I hate hearing about ex-city players passing on. :(

Calista

Very sad to hear that. I seem to remember Ernie being part of an all-Scottish forward line (in the days when Nos. 7 to 11 were classed as the forwards). Hannigan, Baker, Martin, O’Rourke and Carr?

Whether that’s true or not, he was certainly part of a Sky Blues team that did the city proud and played to big crowds amid huge excitement. Happy days, and I salute his memory.

rupert_bear

There was Bobby Graham too, also Scottish and Quinton Young both forwards aswell. Was Billy Rafferty Scottish ? another forward of that time

Irish Sky Blue

Very sad to hear that. I seem to remember Ernie being part of an all-Scottish forward line (in the days when Nos. 7 to 11 were classed as the forwards). Hannigan, Baker, Martin, O’Rourke and Carr?

Whether that’s true or not, he was certainly part of a Sky Blues team that did the city proud and played to big crowds amid huge excitement. Happy days, and I salute his memory.

Ian Gibson for John O'Rourke. This was a game against Chelsea couple of seasons before O'Rourke joined.
Sad news about Ernie Hannigan. Names from my boyhood.

rupert_bear

Was at that game too, our only away victory against a really good Baggies outfit who i believe we did the double over. Beat them 4-2 at home thanks to a hat-trick from Willie Carr, another Scot.

phildownunder

my first away game wba we won 1-0 and ernie got the goal happy days
r i p ernie

I was there too. Although I can`t recall much about the game I do remember that Albion were all over us but just couldn`t score.

I do remember the goal though. We were behind that goal and in one of our rare attacks the ball came to Ernie in a good position, but he scuffed his shot and the ball went off at an angle, wrong footing the goalie and just rolling into the net. We laughed our socks off at getting such a horrible goal after Albion dominating play so much.

Who Knows, if he`d hit it better it might have been saved!

covboy1987

WA soccer is paying tribute to one of its own following the death this week of colourful Scotsman Ernie Hannigan.
The 72-year-old Glaswegian - a big mate of former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson - died on Thursday following a battle with cancer.
WA-BASED LYONS NAMED EVERTON 'GIANT'
Hannigan played top-flight football in England before moving to Perth in 1973, and was inducted into WA soccer's Hall of Fame three years ago.
Former Everton captain Mike Lyons, who has known Hannigan since moving to Perth nearly 15 years ago, said he was a one-off.
“He was a really popular guy, everyone who knew him loved him,” Lyons said.
“He just had this infectious laugh, you couldn’t help but like him.
“A group of us catch up every Wednesday night at Kulcha (cafe) in Joondalup, just basically to talk about football. He was always there. He was also a regular at the Celtic Supporters Club down at Rosie O’Grady’s in Northbridge.
“He’d been ill for a bit but it’s still very, very sad. He’ll be sorely missed by everyone.”
More than 200 people gathered at Rosie O’Grady’s last Saturday for a tribute night for Hannigan, although he was too ill to attend.
A winger with Queen of the South in Scotland, and Preston North End and Coventry City in England, Hannigan also had short spells in Hong Kong and with New York Cosmos.
In Perth he played for Stirling City and Morley Windmills, where he was player-coach when they won the 1975 D’Orsogna Cup.

olderskyblue

RIP Ernie Hannigan

bradwellskyblues

thanks for info on goal we were taken by a friends father and he took us into the seats above the standing area at the other end not a very good view,i remember celebrating the goal with my mate to some very strange looks from below

Sky Blue Harry H

Saw him when I first started going as a 6 year old. Vague memories, but names like him Ernie Machin, George Curtis, Maurice Setters formed part of my formative Sky Blue memories, together with the smell of hot dogs on the walk up to the turnstiles on the Kop at Highfield Road. RIP

dadgad

Saw him when I first started going as a 6 year old. Vague memories, but names like him Ernie Machin, George Curtis, Maurice Setters formed part of my formative Sky Blue memories, together with the smell of hot dogs on the walk up to the turnstiles on the Kop at Highfield Road. RIP

SAD news. He had a great shot on him, could really ping it.
Remember he scored a belter at a foggy Elland Road once, even on a sunny day the goalie wouldnt have seen it.:claping hands::guitar2:

phildownunder

SAD news. He had a great shot on him, could really ping it.
Remember he scored a belter at a foggy Elland Road once, even on a sunny day the goalie wouldnt have seen it.:claping hands::guitar2:

Like the WBA game earlier I was at this game but you picked the right end to be Dad. When that fog you mentioned came down we couldn`t see past the halfway line.

We didn`t see the build up or the goal and didn`t know who`d scored until after the match!

It was a bloody long trek to see half a game.

Users who are viewing this thread