England v Belgium (1 Viewer)

Marty

Fuck me we're shite.

Glen Johnson has got to be one of the worst right backs to wear that number 2, rubbish in defence, average going forward.

Marty

Quality goal, great movement & finish from Welbeck.

stupot07

Great finish by Wellbeck and good ball by young. Johnson and milner are not international class.

Otis

Fuck me we're shite.

Glen Johnson has got to be one of the worst right backs to wear that number 2, rubbish in defence, average going forward.

Shite? Maybe, but that is two wins in 2 games against decent opposition and we have looked quite solid.

We are not going to pull up any trees but if we keep things solid we have a good chance of making the quarter finals and that ain't bad at all.

Add Wilshere and Walker and Rooney and we'd have a much better team.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hodgson said we looked good on the counter attack, we are playing at home to a nation that is about 50th in the world :facepalm:

If anyone heard Walcott's interview after the game he basically said his tactics is to defend and keep it tight and then when we get the ball go straight for the goal on the counter.

rob9872

I can never understand why Johnson is so criticised. He is far from what Cole gives us at left back, but certainly not so poor that hbe deserves to be hammered either imo (I guess it's like watching City where for some reason everyone seems to want a scapegoat or hate-figure). If Walker was fit he would be my seklection ahead of Johnson, but its not like we have Isaac Osbourne playing there.

I can never understand why Johnson is so criticised. He is far from what Cole gives us at left back, but certainly not so poor that hbe deserves to be hammered either imo (I guess it's like watching City where for some reason everyone seems to want a scapegoat or hate-figure). If Walker was fit he would be my seklection ahead of Johnson, but its not like we have Isaac Osbourne playing there.

I think Johnson is criticised so much because of the players that should be playing instead of him! Fair enough Walker is injured but Micah Richards is way better both attackingly and defensively and at a younger age, with room for improvement!

Tank Top

Good Morning All.
Its early days for the new manager and his team to come to an understanding, and allowance should be given for this, but basic principles and technique, should remain whoever the manager is, It may prove a bumpy ride for Roy Hodgeson, because the peoples choice, Harry Redknapp was overlooked for the job, when it looked like a done deal.

Technically, Roy has the tools to do the job, he is experienced at the highest level,knowledgeable about the game, and has been appointed on merit.
The game last night must be viewed as part of a learning curve for Roy and his players, but I didn't realize How much learning needs to be done,if we are to make any mark in the coming euro competition.
I thought only Peter Read,came anywhere near a true appraisal of the performance, with the others playing a more diplomatic roll,But through my eyes this performance, especially in the second half, was full of ineptitude, and made Belgium look like world beaters.
The buzz was about how we kept another clean sheet, and how hard we are to break down, but in football terms, I thought they hammered us, their passing, was sharper and more accurate, their movement was far superior, and they had the ability to keep the ball for long periods when England could not.
This is a brand new regime, and it will require time to gel, lets hope, the media Dogs of the "Red tops"
Stay off Roys Back, and give him a chance, I wish him Good Luck, he's going to need it if he is to succede where other recent managers have failed.
26_8_15.gif
Tankie

Otis

I think maybe 1 or 2 on here are giving Belgium a bit of a disservice. They were saying in the commentary last night that Belgium have lost just 1 in 16 games and that was against the Germans.

They were a strong team and yes they played the better football, but we won. We also beat Spain 1-0 in a similar fashion.

Did we complain about that one too? :thinking about:At the end of the day it is all about winning. We all know we ain't going to win the bloomin thing but if we can keep it tight and make the quarter finals then we would have to be happy with that wouldn't we?

cornoccfc

Will take a series of 1-0 wins over the coming 3 weeks.

Wellbecks goal was class though.

I think maybe 1 or 2 on here are giving Belgium a bit of a disservice. They were saying in the commentary last night that Belgium have lost just 1 in 16 games and that was against the Germans.

They were a strong team and yes they played the better football, but we won. We also beat Spain 1-0 in a similar fashion.

Did we complain about that one too? :thinking about:At the end of the day it is all about winning. We all know we ain't going to win the bloomin thing but if we can keep it tight and make the quarter finals then we would have to be happy with that wouldn't we?

Here we go again knocking a winning team - yes Otis your observations are spot on.

I am beginning to like our Roy - he comes across with easy charm and doesn't punctuate his responses with football cliches but talks good footballing sense.

One thing I have noticed is that our defence is somewhat tighter than previous with enough players to repel attacks but still flexible enough for the break.

Tackling seems to have improved as well with one or two timely crunches in evidence and many excellent blocks and interceptions outside of our pen box.

Two wins, two clean sheets - what more do we want after such a short while - we may have a manager here who can talk the talk AND deliver the goods.

PUSB

torchomatic

I hate International football, but I like Roy.

Otis

A tight hard to break down defence is an excellent place to start building a team from.

stupot07

I have no problem with Roy, and yes 2 wins is good. I was very impressed with Belgium, however France are another couple of steps better than them and Norway and will be a different proposition.

We defended well, but very very deep with 2 banks of 4. Defensively this was sound but our strikers were too isolated for long periods. We rarely managed to counter because we were so deep, In fact our goal came from the only time we pressed high up the pitch.

We were helped by the fact that Belgium tried to pass the ball in, as they had lots of opportunities to cross but didn't. Belgium also lacked a decent centre forward as mertins and that lad Chelsea want like drifting wide.

Otis

I have no problem with Roy, and yes 2 wins is good. I was very impressed with Belgium, however France are another couple of steps better than them and Norway and will be a different proposition.

We defended well, but very very deep with 2 banks of 4. Defensively this was sound but our strikers were too isolated for long periods. We rarely managed to counter because we were so deep, In fact our goal came from the only time we pressed high up the pitch.

We were helped by the fact that Belgium tried to pass the ball in, as they had lots of opportunities to cross but didn't. Belgium also lacked a decent centre forward as mertins and that lad Chelsea want like drifting wide.

France are another couple of steps better but we did beat Spain if you recall. A strong defence is a good start. Just wish we had Jack Wilshere in the middle of the park. We need someone who can control the midfield and keep things ticking.

stupot07

France are another couple of steps better but we did beat Spain if you recall. A strong defence is a good start. Just wish we had Jack Wilshere in the middle of the park. We need someone who can control the midfield and keep things ticking.

Yeah we beat Spain but I wouldn't read much into that performance, one thing doing it in a friendly another thing in a competitive game. Both teams made 6 subs and Spain made 3 at half time including taking Xavi and silva off.

Yeah Wilshire is a big big miss, he'll be our most important player for the next 10 years. If we are going to play that deep walcott has to play instead of Milner on the right, he's the only player quick enough to get up and support the strikers.

I was very impressed with Belgium,il they showed how far behind we are technically.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
We've been technically behind most teams for years (maybe the 'golden generation' masked that a bit) and will continue to be until the grass roots changes come through.

In the meantime, Roy has a plan of how to play. It's not gonna be the most entertaining (most people were watching the paper aeroplanes yest!), but at last an Eng manager has realised our limitations.

It will prob be quarter finals at best, but would anyone mind if we won it playing like Greece?...

Otis

Nope.

Greece were technically not a good side at all. Had a great defence though, were hard to beat and had great spirit.

England deploy all that and we have a good chance of progressing. None of us are expecting us to win the thing ....... are we?

Otis

Ahh, but you can only beat what was put in front of you and you will also find that Belgium finished 3rd behind Turkey.

stupot07

Nope.

Greece were technically not a good side at all. Had a great defence though, were hard to beat and had great spirit.

England deploy all that and we have a good chance of progressing. None of us are expecting us to win the thing ....... are we?

Nah not chance of winning.

I would say that there are big differences between how Greece played and how we appear to be lining up. They were a very energetic high tempo pressing side and tried to press high up the pitch. We're defending very deep and surrendering possession. We're struggling to keep the ball when we do get it because we're too deep. Like I said yesterday's goal came from gerrard pressing high, it was the only time we did it.

stupot07

Ahh, but you can only beat what was put in front of you and you will also find that Belgium finished 3rd behind Turkey.

Turkey and Belgium are better than any side in our group. The wonders of the FIFA rankings.

Otis

Nah not chance of winning.

I would say that there are big differences between how Greece played and how we appear to be lining up. They were a very energetic high tempo pressing side and tried to press high up the pitch. We're defending very deep and surrendering possession. We're struggling to keep the ball when we do get it because we're too deep. Like I said yesterday's goal came from gerrard pressing high, it was the only time we did it.

I didn't think we played well, but it was only Hodgson's 2nd game in charge. Think this tournament is a tournament too soon for him more than likely. Not enough time to instill the style he wants from an England side.

We all know we are not as technically gifted as many sides in the world. Nowt we can do about that right now. That has to be a long term goal. We can only work with what we've got at the moment and not so sure we can be too critical on the back of 2 clean sheets and 2 wins.

stupot07

Martin Kelly..........

Funny tweet I've just read: -
@MirrorFootball: RT @NathaanMason: i want an England call up, Going to buy a Liverpool kit and do some kick-ups outside Hodgson's house

Users who are viewing this thread