England Squad (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue M

England squad for Euro 2012:
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)
Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)
Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)
Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Cant believe he is taking Downing, no richards even though Walker is injured?? Dont mind Carroll and Welbeck being called up. And really please that Ox-Chambo is going, just hope it isn't like Walcott a few years ago!

Tad

I'd would of liked Hodgson to have been bold and picked more players outside the PL. JT shouldn't be allowed to go. He's nothing more then a spoilt prat that stomps his feet till he gets what he wants.

CTID

Surprised at no Richards too mate, would have thought he was a dead cert. So were going to have to suffer Glen johnson being massively out of possition all tournament lol.

Generally happy with the rest of the choices though. Still think Adam johnson needs to move to a different club to get more recognition. Would have liked to see him in the england squad!

Last edited:

hughescov

Adam Johnson in the reserve lineup, really think he should have been called up though!

Stuart Downing has done nothing this season to warrant a place!!!

Rich

WTF is he taking Carroll for? I'd much rather Crouch over Carroll. Seems a weak strike force considering Rooney is out for the first two. Not taking Rio is a good shout as it's got to be about the team and not the individual, although I might've taken Rio over Terry tbh.

Last edited:

Tad

Hodgsonout tag is already trending on twitter. lmao. This country really is pathetic...

mark82

Even an idiot can see that Richards is better than Glen Johnson, and Adam Johnson is better than Downing.

theprince

Stewart Downing is left footed and that's the deciding factor, as for Micah Richards i think he has been poor for a while although in a great team, only seems to be sub for Mancini. To be fair 18/20 of that squad were gimmes. The goalkeeping situation could have gone anywhere and i think John Ruddy is pretty good. Oxlade-Chamberlaine is a gamble but the difference between now and when Sven took Walcott is Hodgson will use him and in his best position.

Paxman II

Overall we can't all agree but Downing? Hmm. I would have taken Crouch....he has a superb record for England and scored a wonder goal a few weeks back.
My biggest worry is the lack of midfield 'ball players' like a Glen Hoddle or Paul Gascoigne - someone who has a vision for a pass and can change a game. Not sure we even have one that I can think of actually? Chamberlaine over Johnson another debatable one.

It's all a little 'safe' looking for me. More fresh blood when there were no great expectations may have been a bolder move tbh. It's time the old guard were dismissed. Not even sure Gerrard has much to offer anymore either?

To Hodgson's credit he did say he will not make wholesale changes as yet until after this tournament. So after the tournament will be the time to judge him I feel and see what direction he takes it.

Marty

Downing & Carroll have been woeful all season, Holt has been in great form all season. Obviously if you play outside the top 6 teams, you can't play for England.

I wouldn't have taken Lampard, Gerrard, Glen Johnson or Terry. We need to stop relying on these players who rarely play well for England.

Rich

Not even sure Gerrard has much to offer anymore either?

What I've seen of Gerrard since his return from injury (not a lot admittedly), he has looked more like Clingan with careless passes and a lack of conviction than the Gerrard of old. He along with either Terry or Ferdinand would've been left at home if I were picking the squad. BUT I am not and I trust and fully support Hodgson, regardless of how we get on at this Tournament.

The FA should've appointed him sooner or let him know that he was their first choice sooner, so he had a bit of time to research current form and suitability.

Otis

Would have much preferred Adam Johnson than Downing.

Someone posted on GMK the other day that Downing's stats say he has had not one single assist all season for Liverpool. Downing is not international standard. Yep, sure, Adam Johnson is a bit hit and miss and not possibly quite up to it either, but he can create little moments of magic.

Rich

Would have much preferred Adam Johnson than Downing.

Someone posted on GMK the other day that Downing's stats say he has had not one single assist all season for Liverpool. Downing is not international standard. Yep, sure, Adam Johnson is a bit hit and miss and not possibly quite up to it either, but he can create little moments of magic.

You can tell he's been on the bench though and not on the pitch, That boy needs some sun.

98815.jpg

Brighton Sky Blue

The one thing that struck me about it was that we only have 1 out and out right back in there-and not one many people have much confidence in either. People say Jones *can* play at right back; well, at international level, you need someone who's in their natural position-it's this area I think Hodgson could regret. Downing equally is a strange choice but generally speaking I don't think there's much questionable about the squad.

In a side note, our stand-by keeper's one of Birmingham's kids who's barely played in the first team-must be one hell of a prospect...

Otis

The one thing that struck me about it was that we only have 1 out and out right back in there-and not one many people have much confidence in either. People say Jones *can* play at right back; well, at international level, you need someone who's in their natural position-it's this area I think Hodgson could regret. Downing equally is a strange choice but generally speaking I don't think there's much questionable about the squad.

In a side note, our stand-by keeper's one of Birmingham's kids who's barely played in the first team-must be one hell of a prospect...

Just a few things stick in the gut for me. Downing the main one. The bloke hasn't got one single assist to his name this season, not one!. That is just terrible. No way he should be on the plane.

Secondly for me, no Micah Richards. Absolute madness to have just one right back. Crazy. I really rate Richards and think he should have been included.

Third and lastly, Jordan Henderson on the reserve list? He has been dreadful all season long.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just a few things stick in the gut for me. Downing the main one. The bloke hasn't got one single assist to his name this season, not one!. That is just terrible. No way he should be on the plane.

Secondly for me, no Micah Richards. Absolute madness to have just one right back. Crazy. I really rate Richards and think he should have been included.

Third and lastly, Jordan Henderson on the reserve list? He has been dreadful all season long.

Ultimately these choices will be judged on how we perform in the tournament; another South Africa-esque debacle and you feel Hodgson will be fighting an uphill struggle throughout WC qualifying. Holt has a much better case for inclusion than Carroll, but my continued dislike of Norwich will keep me quiet on that one ;)

CovfanDan

I went the Swansea - Liverpool game sunday and my mate was on about the Downing no goals or assist stat, shite aint it. He was awful too, happy to pass the buck/ball and not take responsibility, didnt attack the full-back at all. Henderson very mediocre aswell

Marty

Adam Johnson and Richards both should have gone, Glen Johnson is the modern day full back, shite in defence, average going forward but can run all day long.

Not too fussed about Ferdinand not going but the Richards decision has really annoyed me! Not only is he the best right back in England but in my opinion there's no-one better in the world! Very strong, quick, great attacking runs and solid defensively, can also cover at CB if needed, why Jones and Johnson have gone instead of him is ridiculous!

As for Downing... 0 Assists and 0 goals this season.
Sturridge is better than Defoe and Wellbeck, Crouch should also be in there ahead of Carroll.

Happy Ox and ruddy are going though.

mark82

Not too fussed about Ferdinand not going but the Richards decision has really annoyed me! Not only is he the best right back in England but in my opinion there's no-one better in the world! Very strong, quick, great attacking runs and solid defensively, can also cover at CB if needed, why Jones and Johnson have gone instead of him is ridiculous!

As for Downing... 0 Assists and 0 goals this season.
Sturridge is better than Defoe and Wellbeck, Crouch should also be in there ahead of Carroll.

Happy Ox and ruddy are going though.

Walker and Richards for me at a similar level. Million miles ahead of Glen Johnson. I supported Hodgson, he was my second choice for the job, but has made a few bizarre, toothless decisions. If we don't reach at least semis he has made a rod for his own back.

wingy

Played 40+ times this season. Tends to be Mancini's go to man. Best English winger by a mile.
I'm affraid his move to the Sky Blues has stalled his development and career much like it has with milner ,reduced to being bit part players

Last edited:

stupot07

The squad is so uninspiring and very little has changed since the world cup debacle.

We're gonna end up with 3 of the same back 4, 3 of the same midfield 4 plus Rooney when he comes back from suspension as played vs Germany at the world cup.

Defoe although scoring goals is 4th choice at tottenham, Milner isn't a regular starter, neither is Carroll who's been poor for all bar a handful of games this season, downing hasn't even got a goal or assist, phil jones isn't a man u regular and what I mean he isn't first choice in any position for his club.

Jordan Henderson on bloody standby.

this tournament is a gimme for Hodgson and in picking such an ageing side means that major surgery will be required after the Euro's.

AlexJohnson93

Wouldn't have Glen Johnson, Gerrard, Carroll, Terry, Defoe and Green in there. Aaron Lennon has been brilliant this season-not even as a reserve!
A comparison here:
Centre Forwards: France: Benzema/Giroud Spain: Llorente/David Villa Italy: Di Natale/Balotelli Germany: Gomez/Klose Holland: RVP/Huntelaar Sweden: Zlatan. Even Poland have Lewandowski! England have Andy fucking Carroll!

rob9872

AC will still come good imo. We also have Rooney - almost all (if not all) of the teams you mention above would like to have Rooney available to them.

curlyc_

Pissed off for the second tournament in a row after Adam Johnson not included in squad........ oh well Cricket season starts properly tomorrow and i can finally put this horrible excuse of a football season behind me..........

Users who are viewing this thread