Elton john (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Fantastic body of work , seen him at Highfield road in 2005. Bloody fantastic

RFC

Fantastic body of work , seen him at Highfield road in 2005. Bloody fantastic

Saw him at (think it was called Warwick or Coventry University) close to the Cathedral in 1972, what an outfit! Classic of course was “Your Song” never ever write one better than that.

Marty

I think he's excellent, not a favourite of mine but he has so many classics. He's right up there with the likes of Bowie and Mercury for me.

Otis

I think he's excellent, not a favourite of mine but he has so many classics. He's right up there with the likes of Bowie and Mercury for me.
Err... steady on now and I would never put Mercury up with Bowie anyway.

Each and every to their own though. Doesn't help that I really do not care for his voice at all (that's Elton not Mercury).

Gazolba

Apart from "Goodbye Norma Jean" and "Daniel", which were 50% due to Bernie Taupin, never liked any of his later music.
And the way he acts and dresses is just daft.

Last edited:

Si80

The best live act I've seen. Brought up listening to his 70's and 80's albums. Never tire of listening to his music.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I saw Elton John in 1990 at a Knebworth festival. There were so many brilliant acts that day, I'd forgotten he was on! (Other acts included Led Zep, Status Quo, Genesis, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits and loads of others.)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I saw Elton John in 1990 at a Knebworth festival. There were so many brilliant acts that day, I'd forgotten he was on! (Other acts included Led Zep, Status Quo, Genesis, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits and loads of others.)
Bloody hell thats a line up

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Bloody hell thats a line up
It was unbelievable Daz! Noon until midnight. But the best part of it was, that I had a back-stage pass! It got me everywhere except actually on stage. I was working for a scaffolding company at the time and we blagged 4 passes and a VIP car park pass. We said we had to be at the concert for health and safety reasons! I took a few pics of the day before, with bands doing sound bites and tests, and I still have my pass from the day. I'll have to dig out the pics.

Astute

Apart from "Goodbye Norma Jean" and "Daniel", which were 50% due to Bernie Taupin, never liked any of his later music.
And the way he acts and dresses is just daft.
You don't get it.

He is an entertainer. It is more than just the music. You don't last as long as him if you are crap.

The wife got tickets locally to us to see him last year. But my daughter who was 14 at the time wanted to go. So they went together. She loved it.

Most music these days are a few lines that keep repeating and a keyboard or recorded music. Elton would have a full orchestra. Most of his songs told a story.

But if he isn't your cup of tea then he isn't.

R

RB1992

One of the best live performers ever at his peak. He's no good now though, sounds like a wailing cat.

clint van damme

caught half an hour of him at a festival and was bored rigid.
He's basically got two types of song, the ballad and the up tempo honky tonk piano number. Not my cup of tea at all.

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

Astute

One of the best live performers ever at his peak. He's no good now though, sounds like a wailing cat.
Not bad for a 70 year old though. I will be happy to have his energy at that age.

bringbackrattles

Put a couple of Cream tracks on the jukebox Saturday.One bloke said he thought they were overrated. I was that shocked as I thought he knew his music that I couldn't be bothered to say anything back.
All down to taste I guess.

Otis

Put a couple of Cream tracks on the jukebox Saturday.One bloke said he thought they were overrated. I was that shocked as I thought he knew his music that I couldn't be bothered to say anything back.
All down to taste I guess.
Elton John likes cream.

bringbackrattles

Talk got round to the best album of all time ? I chose Dark Side Of The Moon. Other choices were Thriller,Pet Sounds, and The White A!bum. As usual it ended up with nobody agreeing !

Otis

Talk got round to the best album of all time ? I chose Dark Side Of The Moon. Other choices were Thriller,Pet Sounds, and The White A!bum. As usual it ended up with nobody agreeing !
Always find it difficult, because there is no such thing as a perfect album to my mind. There is always a weak track or two, be it Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon etc.

clint van damme

have you ever heard Dub side of the moon B. Basically a Dub version of the album by Easy Star All Stars. Against my better judgment I quite like it.

bringbackrattles

Always find it difficult, because there is no such thing as a perfect album to my mind. There is always a weak track or two, be it Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon etc.
My mate raves about Pet Sounds,but he can't understand that I find it just okay. Someone said Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time,so that makes it the best ?

clint van damme

My mate raves about Pet Sounds,but he can't understand that I find it just okay. Someone said Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time,so that makes it the best ?

Pet Sounds is superb.
Saw Brian Wilson in the legends slot at Glastonbury, lovely sunny afternoon it was fantastic though he is literally a tribute act of himself as he hasn't a clue where he is half the time and the band carry him through.

Otis

Hmmm, aren't One Direction one of the biggest sellers? Don't think popularity always equates to greatness to be honest.

Pet Sounds is rated because there had never been anything like it before and it broke boundaries and rules etc.

Users who are viewing this thread