Electricity meter help/advice (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

Having a bit of a nightmare.

We finally got onto the property ladder this year. We moved into our new house the day of lockdown. It has not been ideal getting the jobs we needed doing done. But I've been tickeng them off one by one.

Today we got out electric and gas meters upgraded to smart meters from a prepayment key system. The power suppler sent out a guy who came. He spotted a problem with the main fuse and had to call Western Power as he couldn't touch the bit before the meter.

The WP guy came and spotted straight away that some scally has been kicking power at some point in the properties history. The dodgy bit had been removed but there are obvious signs when he showed me. He made sure it was safe and replaced the fuse but has said they need to replace the whole surround and has said it will be reported. He seemed OK with me after I told him we'd only been in since March. But didn't elaborate on what happens next. I asked why it wouldn't have been spotted during the survey but said they don't ever check the electrics before the meter.

The guy from our power supplier did all the other work required and seemed fairly confident WP will come back and do the repairs for free.

I just want to know where I stand legally. I think its obvious it wasn't us but are the Grid very litigious? The presious owner had rent it out but in the past were genuinely nice people so I think it must have been very old.

Haven't got anywhere googling, has anyone got an idea what I'm in for?

Not really sure what else I could have done there were no signs and the electrics have been fine. Just feeling a bit nervous as really can't afford big bills in the current climate.

skybluetony176

I would think you’ll be alright given the history of the house as a rented property. The owner probably rented out to someone who was using it to grow drugs. High power consumption is one of the things that the authorities monitor as its a good indicator that the equipment used to grow drugs is going 24/7. For that reason the meter gets bypassed. Might be worth talking to your neighbours to see if they can confirm if that had been going on, might help build your case should you get any comeback but I think the likelihood is they already suspect that to be the case from experience.

Flying Fokker

. I don’t suppose you’d have used a great amount of elec anyway. If you’ve paid your bills what else could they do. They may look at average billing for your type of property although i don’t see how this has been missed for so long. the Industry ombudsman may be worth contacting if it goes further. I don’t think it will though.

Alkhen

. I don’t suppose you’d have used a great amount of elec anyway. If you’ve paid your bills what else could they do. They may look at average billing for your type of property although i don’t see how this has been missed for so long. the Industry ombudsman may be worth contacting if it goes further. I don’t think it will though.

The meter was set to prepayment topped up with a key. We never wanted that and was keen to get on monthly/annual ASAP. It's been odd in lockdown as we have both been working from home so I guess that will have upped usual consumption but not by much.

Alkhen

I would think you’ll be alright given the history of the house as a rented property. The owner probably rented out to someone who was using it to grow drugs. High power consumption is one of the things that the authorities monitor as its a good indicator that the equipment used to grow drugs is going 24/7. For that reason the meter gets bypassed. Might be worth talking to your neighbours to see if they can confirm if that had been going on, might help build your case should you get any comeback but I think the likelihood is they already suspect that to be the case from experience.

Had a chat with a neighbour and the previous owner. Obviously they could just be oblivious but don't think a weed farm would have gone unnoticed smell wise. Was told that the person the previous owner brought it off had a big shed which is no longer there. Apparently it was full of reptile vivariums! Suppose that could be pricy to run. Bit odd though wouldn't think it's worth the risk. Does add up as there some old vivarium bits in another shed. Must have been 15 yrs ago so not sure if it fits.

Well I will keep poking around see what I can find out whilst I wait to hear from Western Power.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread